💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP album cover... Do you like it or not?

Delusional

Featured Posts

Didymus
12 minutes ago, Enzo said:

I-

what was the point then? kkskssk

To mix different artistic expressions, textures and dimensions in photographic form: hence the 2D of the painting background, the 3D of the sculpture background and the counter-intuitive "depth" created in the glass ball which contains a photographed reflection of an actually existing (empty) room in which Gaga had her photography sessions for the album.

The Gaga statue was actually created in real life (and shown at the artRAVE) to solidify this idea that through various artforms, Gaga comes alive (while in stone: she is an art object rather than the artist, hence the whole "student of art" rhetoric during her interviews). Sculpts herself if you will, out of what's literally a different dimension (cue Venus etc.). By including all these different art objects (the blue ball is also a famous art object by Koons) in photographic form on a pop album cover art you're basically mixing artistic inspiration with mass production and consumption. It's all just a flimsy little paper sold in stores everywhere but it contains the nucleus of artistic inspiration.

The cover is an artistic statement all on its own, about how art (inspiration) and pop (inspiration filtered through a machine or printer, if you will) both clash (the plastic paper cover art is not the same as the paintings, the sculptures, the ball,... it's just a 2D photograph) and belong together (that 2D photograph can still ignite a creative spark and return  the consumer to the original artistic inspiration). Hence a photograph of the actual statue would've made more sense but I think her label was put off by how little it actually looked like Gaga and how it made her features look... fat :rip: Still, missed opportunity. But I still think the cover works on its own as it's at least obvious it's supposed to be a statue.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suspiria

I think it's her best by far. As an advertisement of the album it's great - messy, chopped up, in your face. A naked Gaga with her legs spread open against electric pink is enough to catch anyone's eye, and the clippings of different artworks keeps your attention as you try to see all the details.

I do agree with @Didymus that it makes no sense what they did with the sculpture - they could either use the sculpture, or a real photo of her, instead they choose a weird digital mixture of the two? Idk. But I think it does look better in colour than if they'd used the all white sculpture.

Personally I just prefer album covers that actually have some thought and time put into them, rather than just a straightforward photo of the artist. So I'm very happy with the cover we got.

Delusional
Just now, Didymus said:

To mix different artistic expressions, textures and dimensions in photographic form: hence the 2D of the painting background, the 3D of the sculpture background and the counter-intuitive "depth" created in the glass ball which contains a photographed reflection of an actually existing (empty) room in which Gaga had her photography sessions for the album.

The Gaga statue was actually created in real life (and shown at the artRAVE) to solidify this idea that through various artforms, Gaga comes alive (while in stone: she is an art object rather than the artist, hence the whole "student of art" rhetoric during her interviews). Sculpts herself if you will. By including all these different art objects (the blue ball is also a famous art object by Koons) in photographic form on a pop album cover art you're basically mixing artistic inspiration with mass production and consumption. It's all just a flimsy little paper sold in stores everywhere but it contains the nucleus of artistic inspiration.

The cover is an artistic statement all on its own, both about how art (inspiration) and pop (inspiration filtered through a machine or printer, if you will) both clash (the plastic paper cover art is not the same as the paintings, the sculptures, the ball,... it's just a 2D photograph) and belong together (that 2D photograph can still ignite a creative spark and return  the consumer to the original artistic inspiration). Hence a photograph of the actual statue would've made more sense but I think her label was put off by how little it actually looked like Gaga and how it made her features look... fat :rip: Still, missed opportunity. But I still think the cover works on its own.

Holy crap. As ugly as it is, what a genius concept. :duck:

‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️BANNED TILL SEPTEMBER‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

Ladey Gaygay

Omg you're so right this one would be better

185?cb=20150927163722

Very hip

STREAM JUICE BY LIZZO

Enzo
17 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Then again, I also love the simplicity of this one:

2j47oqq.jpg

So yeah, there probably were better choices.

I love that one :pray: 

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

AnglerfishbraBENUS

You obviously haven't held or seen the holographic vinyl before.  Poor Ü

Sneaky Oliver

I LOVE it but to be very honest if it had a white background like the other pics from the official photoshoot it would look more “modern” and more visually appealing. Just the sculpture and the white background 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Lord Temptation

I especially love the little white star, blinded by colour :pray:

Didymus
7 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

I especially love the little white star, blinded by colour :pray:

That's still a bit of a mystery to me :oprah: What do you think it means? I just figured it represented the light as shown in the blue ball except in a 2D version (in line with my interpretation that the cover represents a "coming alive" of the artwork from a two-dimensional flat surface).

I also have this theory that the "shards" (the cut up pictures of the painting and the sculpture) mimic that light in the blue ball. When you look at that light, it has eight clearly defined "lines" growing outward around it. In identical form, both the painting and the sculpture that form the background of the cover are cut up into eight parts :what: That seems like too much of a coincidence. It seems in line with her "art mimicking life" etc. philosophies.

I love how there's so many hidden details and concepts in the cover. Like, of what other cover art can you say that? :flutter:

Smother Em Eh

Even though it’s a little messy and there’s a lot going on, I still love it!

It’s catches your eye at first glance. It’s also very Gaga. It’s very creative too. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Schizophonic
31 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

I LOVE it but to be very honest if it had a white background like the other pics from the official photoshoot it would look more “modern” and more visually appealing. Just the sculpture and the white background 

i would have put the statue on different locations and photographed that. of course in a museum. in a nightclub....

and she said something about the reflection of the ball on the cover. its supposed to reflect your face, the face of the one who holds it in his hands so you are a part of the cover as the same time you look at it.

Archived