💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

The Lion King Roars! Set to Devour July Box Office Opening Weekend Record

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

Screenshot-2019-06-03-at-09.41.16-677x41

Disney’s “The Lion King” is taking its place as king of the box office, grossing an estimated $78.5 million from 4,725 screens on its opening day, as it is now headed to receive $192-200 million for its opening weekend.

Not only would an opening in that range stand behind “Avengers: Endgame” as the second-highest opening of 2019, it would break the July opening weekend record and possibly the record for animated films as well. The current July opening record belongs to “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” with $169.1 million in 2011. The animation record, which once belonged to the original “Lion King” from 1994 to 2003, is held by “Incredibles 2” with $182 million.

Critics and audiences are receiving “The Lion King” with scores nearly identical to those of “Aladdin” two months ago. While critics are divided with a 55% Rotten Tomatoes score, audiences enjoyed the CGI nostalgia trip with an A on CinemaScore and a 4/5 on Postrak. Rotten Tomatoes’ recently-added “Verified” audience score also reports a moviegoer rating of 89%.

The end-game results with these Disney pics is to make new fans with the kids, and continue to pull in the old. Simba was close to evenly split, with 48% under 25, 52% over 25. Women are driving most of the business, with 58% females overall, 60% Moms to 40% dads, Females over 25 at 36% the biggest demo, and even more under-12 girls than boys, 58% to 42%. Another big quad was 18-34, which showed up at 48%. Diversity demos were 42% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, 22% African American, and 13% Asian/Other.

The original 1994 Lion King was able to trigger such awesome grosses ($40.9M wide opening, initial $312.8M domestic gross before re-releases on Thanksgiving on the same year) and A+ rating from Cinemascore.

Full articles at Sources: 

https://www.thewrap.com/the-lion-king-set-to-devour-july-box-office-opening-weekend-record/

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/lion-king-opening-weekend-box-office-spider-man-1203274296/

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lion-king-weekend-box-office-july-records-1202648944/

Another movies that critics love to hate, but the fans actually love. Hakuna matata, indeed! Congrats! :applause:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Ryusei
1 minute ago, RAMROD said:

Another movies that critics love to hate, but the fans actually love. Hakuna matata, indeed! Congrats! :applause:

Not to be negative nancy but just because people go to see it (which was obviously gonna happen and will happen with the next 200 disney remakes they come out with as well) mean the fans (of what? the lion king? Beyonce?) are gonna LOVE it. And to get a different view on that: bad critiques never meant the non-success of a movie or an album or anything. 

Musery

RAMROD
3 minutes ago, Didymus said:

The public having no taste, what's new :queenga:

Most of the people who went are old fans, people over 25 are taking up 52% of the audience demographics :shrug:

Didymus
4 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Most of the people who went are old fans

Then the audience reviews are even more baffling :queenga: It should be obvious that the critics are right on this one: this remake is both pointless and bad.

Retron
11 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

it would break the July opening weekend record and possibly the record for animated films as well.

But this is live action. :trollga:

RAMROD
2 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

Not to be negative nancy but just because people go to see it (which was obviously gonna happen and will happen with the next 200 disney remakes they come out with as well) mean the fans (of what? the lion king? Beyonce?) are gonna LOVE it. And to get a different view on that: bad critiques never meant the non-success of a movie or an album or anything. 

1 minute ago, Didymus said:

Then the audience reviews are even more baffling :queenga: It should be obvious that the critics are right on this one: this remake is both pointless and bad.

Well, the fans does love it. It's Cinemascore is an A. It is already a testament to that. Unlike other sites, Cinemascore takes up their rating from actual audience after they watched the movies. More over, its audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes are also higher than what the career critics gave. 

Just because some of y'all don't wanna to accept what happened, it happens. The OG fans who seen the movie back in 1994 loves it, people who grew up with it cos they parents played it for them also love it. And they got new fans too from people under 18 now. :shrug:

Remakes are always done, doesn't mean it's bad. If it's not for you then it's OK. Same can be said for many other remake movies, including A Star is Born, which we all know not at all pointless. 

Mirages
14 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

The animation record

Wasn't it marketed as live action? :selena:

I'm the bitch that's fragile

RAMROD
1 minute ago, Retron said:

But this is live action. :trollga:

Just now, Mirages said:

It is animated. 90+% of things in the movie are computer generated. Including all the trees and water, and more. And it will be eligible to compete for Best Animated category on Oscars

Didymus

Just because some of y'all don't wanna to accept what happened, it happens.

It happened with nearly every other Disney remake too so I'm obviously not denying it. I'm just saying it's an example of the audience having poor judgment :rip:

They're hypnotized by well-known characters and grandiose visual effects and just assume something's good because the movies mindnumbingly follow the same old beat of the original. It's the epitome of mindless consumption.

I'm not saying critics are always right, my comments aren't that serious. If people are loving this trainwreck of a movie, then I'm happy for them. But that's something entirely different from the movie being actually good.

Mirages

It is animated. 90+% of things in the movie are computer generated. Including all the trees and water, and more. And it will be eligible to compete for Best Animated category on Oscars

I know that, but they marketed it as a live action remake nevertheless :selena:

I'm the bitch that's fragile

Didymus
2 minutes ago, Mirages said:

It is. I see more analysts comparing the movie's debut box office gross to other live action remakes than to animated films, but yeah, some of them are doing both :smh: It's chaos. No one knows what it is anymore. But Disney will for sure keep pretending this is live action.

Didymus
1 minute ago, Unbeweavable said:

I saw it last night it was actually amazing :cryga:

8bMO.gif

:laughga:

What did you think of Bey :chica:

Archived