250px-Cinderella-poster-md.jpg

Whitney Houston as the fairy godmother says hi. Lol

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Craven Moorecox
14 hours ago, Jose P said:

I’m not butthurt honey. I don’t care myself which race the characters of a movie or show are. I’ve always preferred enjoying the story rather than obsessing over which is the skin color of the characters. What bothers me is the ruckus on the Internet over this and the double standards between blackwashing and whitewashing. That’s it.

I really couldn’t care less if Halle plays Ariel, she’s lovely and has an amazing voice. I really didn’t care that Johnny Storm was played by a black actor either. Race doesn’t affect my enjoyment of a movie, unless it matters say, a historical figure. So yeah, I’m not butthurt over race so try to read and understand what I’ve written before trying to suggest I’m racist or something.

My whole point was calling out double standards and forced diversity. Note, I never said this particular case was forced diversity, I brought it up because it’s related to the topic we’re discussing. Not every person on the other side of this type of arguments is racist. 

And I stand by my point that forced diversity does exist. As I said, race in movies and shows don’t bother me, but when I look back after watching it does irk me when, for example, there’s a token gay man on the movie because it feels dishonest. Like the producers don’t really care about representing us gay people, they just do it because they were pressured to do so. Black people also want to be represented as well and I more than get that, my heart is filled with joy when I finally see a gay  guy in a big movie on a big role. But I want it to be natural and genuine.

I like to write and I’ve written many short stories and outlined a couple of novels. When I think of my characters I try to include several types of people regarding race, sexual orientation, age, etc. I think this enriches a story. But I don’t do it thinking I should do it or else people are gonna give me sh*t. That’s all I was trying to say.

My only confusion with your argument is by token gay are you referring to the actor or the character? Because writing a character to be gay just to have representation is different from letting a gay actor play a straight role :oops:. Old Disney movies are a product of there time, a time where it was okay to exclude a lot of different minority groups from being included or represented in the mainstream. Re-telling the story of Ariel story from a different and modern point of view isn’t force diversity. And if you still believe it is, then you should consider the really reason why force diversity is happening (I.e. correct the mistakes of the past) 

1 hour ago, Aphrodizy26 said:

Reverse racism doesn’t exist, so it’s not a double standard. There’s so many white princesses. 

Ofc reverse racism doesn't exist. There's only one racism and it doesn't matter if it's against black, asian or white people

Felixorfelicia

If only they came up with new stories and movies instead of a story written in fckn 1836 so this whole drama would never happen

talk about milking 

Tease it to Jesus

Aphrodizy26
16 minutes ago, LM said:

Ofc reverse racism doesn't exist. There's only one racism and it doesn't matter if it's against black, asian or white people

That’s not how it works. White people have privilege so systemically speaking you can’t be racist to white People. Why is it so hard for people to understand this???

1 minute ago, Aphrodizy26 said:

That’s not how it works. White people have privilege so systemically speaking you can’t be racist to white People. Why is it so hard for people to understand this???

1. Not all countries have a majority of white people

2. Racism doesn't have to be systematical

3. What is this if it's not racistic? "Ms Jeong wondered: “Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like grovelling goblins.” In another, she noted: “It’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men”. And she commented: “White people have stopped breeding. You’ll all go extinct soon. This was my plan all along.”

4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kriss_Donald If you still think racism against white people can't exist after reading this then there's something wrong with you 

StrawberryBlond
19 hours ago, M Monstre said:

I completely understand both sides of it, which is why I don't really have a stance on this issue. I was just asking a question because I genuinely did not know much about the film at all. I only heard that it was "supposed to be set in the Carribean". 

Honestly, I think that as long as it's done tastefully, you can work around bending the race of a character. As @Vegasmentioned in his post, Aquaman was originally a white man, but they switched to have a person of color in Jason Momoa. I think that was done well and I think that makes sense.

I can't judge from the casting alone because that's not necessarily indicative of the movie. Maybe it is a poor choice for the role, but maybe it's not. Bailey could do an amazing job at playing Ariel, and then at that point, who cares if she's black?

Disney's cartoon series of the film had an episode where Ariel helps out a human who later turns out to be Hans Christian Anderson and his work is referenced at the end. And he, everyone around him and the setting looks like Denmark.

I've never seen Aquaman (I'm not interested in superhero movies) but I agree that the casting of Jason really suited that role. I never knew of Aquaman's race, so I never questioned it. It makes total sense that a man of Maori descent would be associated with the sea, so it worked. But then it helps that I have a huge crush on Jason Momoa and even considered going to see this film purely for him!

Even if she does do a great job, redheads will miss out on a great piece of representation and this was our biggest chance. Sure, she may get red hair for this, but she might not (let's not pretend that Disney will take diversity all the way and let her have a natural black hairstyle and not dye it) and even with the hair, she still doesn't resemble Ariel, she doesn't even have her blue eyes. Good for her getting this for her big break and all and I'm not mad at her but it just makes me sad when I think what might have been.

19 hours ago, Inferno said:

Wow....everything you're saying here is absurdly inaccurate. You speak like a white person thats never met a black person in your life. Regardless of whatever race/ethnicity/background you come from. If you are a poc i dont know. But you sound ignorant af in this regard.

I didn't mean that everyone who's applauded this casting isn't a fan of the original. Just that there's a big portion who are. I've seen it all the time when a white person is replaced in some form by a POC (not that that's a bad thing, just speaking factually), I've seen some people applaud this purely because whiteness has been taken out the equation, without even being pleased because the POC was a better fit or even looking into why they could be a better fit. I've seen people react with genuine glee at the idea of whiteness going away and acting like it wasn't worth anything anyway. It's not like I blindly worship my race, it just is what it is. Every race deserves respect and I don't like seeing my race being spoken about in such a disrespectful way especially when it's aimed at innocent people in that race. I have seen black people, why would anything I've said in that paragraph suggest otherwise?

18 hours ago, Craven Moorecox said:

Have you ever considered the possibility that she earn that role by being the best actress who auditioned? :interestinga:

Yes, but sometimes, actors don't even audition, they're just approached because the studio has someone they've got in mind from the off. And you really think all the girls who actually look like Ariel and have played in productions of the role wouldn't have been interested? Yet again, here is another piece of reasoning that would never be used in the case of whitewashing. If a white person took on a role of a black character and you said: "has anyone considered that they got the role because they were the best one to audition?" you'd get laughed out the room regardless of how talented that actor was. I'm just asking for equal standards.

18 hours ago, Snejana said:

where was this energy and concern with casting accuracy when miss scarlett johansson was cast as lead actress in the ghost in the shell live action ?? clowns 

There was a huge backlash about that. In fact, it was so big that the movie flopped big time and the casting controversy was offered as the main reason why that happened. There was also similar outrage over whitewashing in Gods of Egypt, The Lone Ranger, Pan and many more. Because of that, I don't think I've heard of any whitewashed roles in the last 2 years, so the message has never been clearer to studios. But for some reason, they think the best way to atone for their sins is to do the same to whites and then act like it's progression. That's degression. Just as there is negativity, there is just as much positivity for this role, so it's not like the majority are even against it. I just don't like to be told that I'm supposed to accept that being erased is some sort of just desserts.

14 hours ago, Gagaloo92 said:

You're so misguided in your thinking. Representation matters. Have you ever thought maybe these companies are casting people of color as main characters because they've listened to the criticisms and actually want to start giving representation to people who aren't white? 

Probably never even crossed your mind. That's what happens growing up and living white, you don't have to think about representation and people looking like you on the screen since they all look like you. 

All of you should be doing some reflecting and learn some damn empathy. How would you feel if growing up you almost never saw anyone who looked like you on the screen as the main character, or if you did they were almost always the villain? You wouldn't be saying this **** and trending garbage like this that's for sure.

This is honestly so telling, every single one of you complaining and crying about this. Labeling it as "political correctness" when in reality it's just (finally) giving representation to others that you have always had. 

I just said previously that representation matters. I'm all for minorities actually being cast appropriately and even better, cast in new productions. Ending whitewashing shouldn't translate into "rewrite every previous white role for a minority instead." Real progression is offering new things for a new time, not re-hashing old things. Remakes are, by definition, usually seen as second best, so why not actually cast POC in brand new work to be iconic in their own right instead of a secondary recast?

I does cross my mind, especially now more than ever, when race issues have never been so loud. How could we not hear them? And looking like me? I'm a very pale, blue eyed red head (who once wore glasses). I rarely, if ever, see anyone in media who looks like me, real or fictional. I've always found it odd how minorities are oddly very vague about what "looking like me" means yet whites are very specific. To us, someone looking like us is about a lot more than skin colour, it's everything rolled into one. That's why whenever a white person says they look like a celebrity, there will always be other white people rolling their eyes because we're very literal about what it means to look like someone. And it's not as if I would've been pleased if any white person got cast as Ariel. I wouldn't be happy if it was an untalented white celebrity or a celebrity I couldn't stand, even if they were a dead ringer for her. There's lots of things that can sour my enjoyment of something and it's too simplistic to say that a white actress alone would have pleased me no matter who it was.

I've already got plenty of empathy. It's people who aren't even listening to the redheads who wanted to be represented who need some empathy. Our point of view isn't even being listened to and yet you can't even see it. I've just said that it's so rare to see redheads on screen, that's kinda the whole point. And yes, a lot of the time, we're villains as well. Or ugly. Or the bullied kid. Sure, we don't have it as bad as POC do, but we have our own struggle. Not to mention, our hair colour has sometimes been changed, including a black girl playing Annie in the remake and a blonde guy playing Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter stage play. That's why I'm also concerned that Halle might indeed not even have red hair in this. Representation takes many forms, not just in the form of race. Just think about that.

14 hours ago, Gagaloo92 said:

The same tired excuse people use when they aren't attracted to entire races because it's not their "preference" when it ignores the entire structural reality of how that supposed  "preference" got constructed to begin with.

Can a person not agree with the casting choice? Sure, for legitimate reasons. Someone's race not matching your idea of a character is not one of them, and that's what this comes down to.

How tragic for white people that ONE character isn't going to look like them. There's only, oh, 90% of the other movies and actors who will though. 

There's no one here saying anything about not being attracted to entire races. That's a completely different thing. This is just about wanting an accurate visual representation of a childhood memory in real life form.

Just remember that someone's legitimate reasons might be different from yours, standards are subjective. And for most of us, it's more than race, it's hair and eye colour as well. There's a chance they won't change hair colour and I highly doubt they'll change eye colour.

Of course there's plenty of white roles for whites to relate to...white blondes and brunettes, that is. I wouldn't even have been as bothered if they'd chosen a black Cinderella or Belle because there's loads of blonde and brunette women out there for blondes and brunettes to look up to but Ariel? No, she's too different from them, the pale, blue eyed, redhead is too rare a look to tamper with when Ariel was what every little redhead looked up to as their only depiction of a pretty redhead in media in their quest to acceptance.

13 hours ago, Craven Moorecox said:

Lol gurl ignorance is bliss.:wtfga: Are you aware most leading roles are written for white people in movies unless they want to target a specific minority group. How is that fair to all of the many qualified PoC actors and actress who can’t have these opportunities based on their skin color... which is the worst way to value or limit someone’s worth. But by the way you responded, I am guessing you’re okay with that. Why are you mad that the director decided to open up the spot to the most qualified actress? The level of reverse racism is real here...A lot y’all think y’all the victim when a PoC earn a high position yall believe shouldn’t be obtainable for them, or do something that is geared toward helping a group that has been systematically oppressed and underrepresented years back and currently. If you love a red head cartoon character so much, go Stan that Brave Chick... you won’t have to worry about her Scottish or Irish ass being a PoC ever!

so excited flirting GIF

You do know that more and more theatre productions are actively trying to have diverse casts, especially in main roles? They're even refusing white actors who are perfect for the role over black actors who aren't as good a fit, just so they can get liberal praise, which is a far worse thing to do than to make accurate casting for your race. How do we know if she was the most qualified, we didn't see the other considerations? I'm all for black people getting opportunities but not through casting choices deliberately made just to be different but instead, getting new roles so they can become iconic in their own right, not through a new version of a white character. And what if we aren't as keen on Brave? I'm redhaired and Scottish and I didn't think the movie was all that. And did you have to put in "or Irish?" Was that really necessary? Are all redhaired people of Scottish or Irish descent to you and can all be lumped into one? It reminds me of how some Americans refer to "whites and Irish." We're the same race (as long as you're referring to Irish like it's a race, not a nationality). There's so much ignorance going on.

13 hours ago, ltlmnstr said:

Or don’t police a director on his casting choices and a screenwriter’s vision of their movie.

It’s not our movie. It’s a reimagining.  Disney will make millions whether we like it or not.

Actually, it kinda is our movie. The public decide what movies are going to make money by going to see them. The movies can't get made if they don't have money from us, so our preferences matter a great deal. Get it wrong and no one will go to see it. I'm not doubting it'll still make money whichever way but how much that is will be hard to tell for a while yet.

10 hours ago, Unbeweavable said:

Also why are people against the casting acting lie she's not gonna be wearing a red wig? :air:  It's not that big a change

How do we know she'll have red hair? I wouldn't put it past Disney to let her have a black hairstyle to really put that message of diversity forward. What will your reaction be then?

9 hours ago, CautiousLurker said:

Lindsay Ellis fairly pointed out that a big part of why the hashtag is trending is likely bot accounts that inflated it LIKELY because this is good studio promo, and Disney is by no means above that, so take this situation with a grain of salt... like, a REALLY BIG grain of salt...

I considered this too. Disney could've totally made this choice knowing the controversy it would raise, knowing that far more people would talk about an unexpected black casting than an expected white casting and would be far more likely to see the movie out of curiosity. Which is really bad because they don't take into account what that means for the poor lead who is maybe now doubting themselves.

8 hours ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

blonde strawberries, lots and lots of content absolutely no substance :trollga:

I have spoken lots of substance, it's just that not everyone wants to hear it, so they pretend there's nothing to see.

8 hours ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

Nop it doesn’t. a danish writer wrote the original fairytale.

But the Disney adaption is NOT set in Denmark or anywhere near Europe, it is set in the Caribbean, so sick of people saying the same lie over and over again. 

I said earlier that in the Disney cartoon spin-off, Ariel helps a explorer in a sinking submarine who later turns out to be Hans Christian Andersen and his work is referenced at the end. He's dressed in a Danish style, as are those around him and the port looks Danish. I still think the Disney version could be set just about anywhere what with a Caribbean looking setting, tropical fish and a Jamaican crab...offset by everyone having an American accent...and the mermaid's called Ariel which is a Hebrew name...and her dad's called Triton which is a Greek name derived from their mythology...and there's a white royal called Eric which is a Norse name...and the chef is French. There is no mention of its setting in any official source connected to Disney. Safe to say it could be just about anywhere and is a fictionalised country with lots of different inspirations designed by Disney to appeal to as many people as possible, as a lot of American adaptions are.

7 hours ago, Didymus said:

Meanwhile Ariel has no reason for being white at all. Her skin color literally makes no difference except in terms of... looks. I posted a video above, tell me Halle doesn't look, act and sound like Ariel :rip:

Is it that unimaginable that Halle was chosen (a) because she genuinely portrayed Ariel the best out of all options; (b) because this gave Disney an opportunity to take a step in a more positive direction in terms of their atrocious history of visual diversity? Why would that be bad?

Not all people who are mad at this casting are racists, but they for sure are displaying racism. It is absolutely despicable to say or even imply that an uber talented black actress cannot play a character just because she happens to be white even if her skin color is of absolutely no ****ing importance on any level in the original movie :madge: Super disappointed in y'all tbh, ngl. I cannot believe how goddamn normal far right paradigms are becoming. You guys don't even know what you're contributing to...

Halle may sound like Ariel but considering she was just sitting there singing, how is that an insight into how Ariel acts? And as for looks, she doesn't have Ariel's skin colour, hair colour, hairstyle, hair type, or eye colour. How does she look remotely like her other than being female and human? You can support her all you want but don't try to tell me that my eyes are deceiving me.

Disney has nothing to atone for in the case of Little Mermaid though, so out of all the adaptions to change to make up for past wrongdoings, this wasn't the one.

Honestly, I wouldn't be as bothered by this casting if it was literally any other role. But not this one, this was a redhead's time to shine. In this case, for us, the looks are hugely important. And trust me, far right people don't talk like this regarding race. They're nowhere near as compromising or reasonable.

6 hours ago, theomega said:

Disney is not remaking these movies for nostalgia sake, they're after new audiences for who the old animated movies are just that, old. They'll make billions from those for years to come, from box office, to merchandising, Disney +, the parks, etc, these movies will continue to make billions for the next decades while the racist millennials get old and die. In another 40/50 years they'll remake them again in whatever media form that takes place like VR or whatever comes.

They're doing it for both old and new fans. The old ones made the original what it was and the new ones obviously watched the old one first. You're acting as if it's impossible to get hold of a movie if you weren't born when the original came out or something. Ariel is in all the Disney merchandising and theme park, everyone knows and expects her to look a certain way. And racist millenials? I always thought it was the baby boomers who got that tag. Millenials were the first generation that actively tried to be progressive considering millenials are anyone born between 1980-1995!

3 hours ago, Didymus said:

I do understand that.

But what I am disappointed by is how people don't seem to realize (not intentionally, obviously) that skin color doesn't change anything substantial :rip: White people are overrepresented to the point where people are now en masse commenting about how "their" Ariel is ruined just because she's not white. That is scary to me. And what is even more scary to me is how the people voicing their criticism don't even realize they're talking the language of far-right extremism.

It might not be about race for you, but I'm afraid the whole perspective that Ariel being black is supposedly a change is already fundamentally racist, there's simply no other way around it. I'm not saying that makes you and other people bad persons, but it is important to point out racism where it is, 'cause usually people don't even realize what kind of discourse or political stance they're unconsciously supporting through their words :shrug:

You seem to be contradicting yourself with your statements here. You say that skin colour doesn't change anything substantial...but then claim that POC need more racial representation than whites. You seem to think skin colour is only substantial when it isn't white. What's scary to me is that people don't recognise their inconsistent thinking and seem to think it translates into equality when it's anything but.

How is changing someone's race not a change? It's one of the biggest things you could do. You seem to think skin colour is a big deal but only if it's not white. To say someone is mentally different because of their race is racist but to say there's no physical difference just goes against biological reality. Of course we're the same inside but to tell us that our eyes are lying to us is an exit from reality that most of us aren't here for.

Didymus
4 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Halle may sound like Ariel but considering she was just sitting there singing, how is that an insight into how Ariel acts? And as for looks, she doesn't have Ariel's skin colour, hair colour, hairstyle, hair type, or eye colour. How does she look remotely like her other than being female and human? You can support her all you want but don't try to tell me that my eyes are deceiving me.

Ariel is defined by her dreamy, mentally wandering personality which is nevertheless powered by a fiery character. I see that perfectly represented in that video :shrug:

And I actually do think she looks like Ariel :emma: Especially the eyes and the lips. Like, ok, you can come at me with the "my eyes aren't deceiving me" argument but I can shoot the same one right at ya.

I guess I overestimated how other people would see the same thing I'm seeing, but yeah... I genuinely see Ariel when I see that video :oprah:

5 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

You seem to be contradicting yourself with your statements here. You say that skin colour doesn't change anything substantial...but then claim that POC need more racial representation than whites. You seem to think skin colour is only substantial when it isn't white. What's scary to me is that people don't recognise their inconsistent thinking and seem to think it translates into equality when it's anything but.

How is changing someone's race not a change? It's one of the biggest things you could do. You seem to think skin colour is a big deal but only if it's not white. To say someone is mentally different because of their race is racist but to say there's no physical difference just goes against biological reality. Of course we're the same inside but to tell us that our eyes are lying to us is an exit from reality that most of us aren't here for.

Hmm.

I mean, I can see what you're saying but I don't think all of those mental gymnastics are necessary. You may think you're saying something substantial when you're typing that a difference in skin color is in line with biology but that's a pretty empty statement lol. I never denied that skin colors can look different. All I said was that it doesn't make a difference for Ariel, the fictional character, at least not in the way it would make a difference for Tiana, whose skin color has a narrative purpose :chica:

I'm not denying that a black Ariel would be a different looking Ariel, but out of that difference does not follow the idea that we're talking about a different Ariel, that's the big distinction between interpretations I'm trying to emphasize here with my comments.

About skin color only being substantial when it's not white... well, yeah :toofunny: White people are culturally trained, sadly, to think of white skin color as neutral and everything else as a deviation from that norm. For people of other races, esp. black people, that mechanism is not similar, no matter what people like to think. Scientific studies conducted on children have shown clearly that black children, from a shockingly young age, learn to differentiate between white and black skin colors with racial prejudices fundamentally attached to them.

So it's more complicated than a lot of people here try to paint the scene imo. All the intellectual arguments aside, the end result is still that we have a bunch of white people complaining about how "their Ariel" (who is apparently only Ariel because she's white, it turns out, and not because she has a personality that can be portrayed again by whoever) is ruined not because they've seen the reinterpretation, but just because of the announcement that she will not be white. It's the epitome of first world problems.

Oriane

Well I'm against their live action remakes anyway, it's uninspired and it's not where their creativity lies, but whatever :toofunny:

Changing races or the general appearance of the characters bothers me when it's not really historically accurate. Here I would say it doesn't matter anyway, they're mermaids, so who cares what they look like. It could have an impact on the rest of the story though, depending on when and where the story will take place. If it's still in Denmark in the 19th century or even before, I'm sure the character would have bigger concerns than simply not having her voice once she's out of the water.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

ltlmnstr

I’m never replying to the essayist from England every again on here. That’s all I know. 

Aphrodizy26
1 hour ago, LM said:

1. Not all countries have a majority of white people

2. Racism doesn't have to be systematical

3. What is this if it's not racistic? "Ms Jeong wondered: “Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like grovelling goblins.” In another, she noted: “It’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men”. And she commented: “White people have stopped breeding. You’ll all go extinct soon. This was my plan all along.”

4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kriss_Donald If you still think racism against white people can't exist after reading this then there's something wrong with you 

Prejudice and Bias do not equate to racism. The other two aren’t systemic while Racism is

Just now, Aphrodizy26 said:

Prejudice and Bias do not equate to racism. The other two aren’t systemic while Racism is

racism doesn't have to be systematic

Webster’s Definition:

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

also, did u really just called killing a boy for his race prejudice and bias? This is much more than this

Aphrodizy26
5 minutes ago, LM said:

racism doesn't have to be systematic

Webster’s Definition:

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

also, did u really just called killing a boy for his race prejudice and bias? This is much more than this

I swear to God white people tend to want to feel oppressed so bad. 
When you actually don’t have media representation, when you are murdered by police who are supposed to be here to protect you yet hunt you down due to the way the system is designed, when you aren’t taught the darker you are the more you have to do to make it in the world, THEN you can claim racism.

the amount of arrogance amongst the fans of someone who has spoken out in favor of the BLM movement and racial inequality trying to use her white privilege to raise awareness is ASTOUNDING. It’s absolutely DISGUSTING.  

Reality
50 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Disney's cartoon series of the film had an episode where Ariel helps out a human who later turns out to be Hans Christian Anderson and his work is referenced at the end. And he, everyone around him and the setting looks like Denmark.

I've never seen Aquaman (I'm not interested in superhero movies) but I agree that the casting of Jason really suited that role. I never knew of Aquaman's race, so I never questioned it. It makes total sense that a man of Maori descent would be associated with the sea, so it worked. But then it helps that I have a huge crush on Jason Momoa and even considered going to see this film purely for him!

Even if she does do a great job, redheads will miss out on a great piece of representation and this was our biggest chance. Sure, she may get red hair for this, but she might not (let's not pretend that Disney will take diversity all the way and let her have a natural black hairstyle and not dye it) and even with the hair, she still doesn't resemble Ariel, she doesn't even have her blue eyes. Good for her getting this for her big break and all and I'm not mad at her but it just makes me sad when I think what might have been.

Well, if Momoa fit to be Aquaman, why can't it fit with Ariel? Even if we look back on the original Little Mermaid story (not the animated one, but the Hans Christian Anderson one), sure, it may have originated in Denmark, but a lot of Disney animated movies changed from their original source material. Look at Pocahontas. It is completely different from what Pocahontas was actually like. Why can't they have some creative freedom now? It's the same thing with Aquaman. He's always been portrayed as a white male, but Jason Momoa—a person of color—played him and it was just fine.

As for her being a redhead...I'm sorry if this makes me ignorant or anything (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but is there a lack of representation of redheads in media? I feel like there are a lot of redheads. It's not like they're a particularly marginalized group or anything. They could just dye her hair anyway, as you said. I don't think that they'll totally make Ariel have a natural black hairstyle, but I also can't see them not dying her hair red. It's a defining feature (moreso than her skin color). 

🃏🖤👹

Just now, Aphrodizy26 said:

I swear to God white people tend to want to feel oppressed so bad. 
When you actually don’t have media representation, when you are murdered by police who are supposed to be here to protect you yet hunt you down due to the way the system is designed, when you aren’t taught the darker you are the more you have to do to make it in the world, THEN you can claim racism.

the amount of arrogance amongst the fans of someone who has spoken out in favor of the BLM movement and racial inequality trying to use her white privilege is ASTOUNDING. It’s absolutely DISGUSTING.  

Meanwhile I tried to backup my opinion behind facts u do the right opposite

I don't want to feel oppressed. I openly admit I was never a victim of racially motivated attack.

How is the system designed? There are no different rules or laws for black people. The boy whose case I posted here was KILLED FOR BEING WHITE??? WHAT ELSE DOES HAVE TO HAPPEN?!!!! You straight up ignore a racially motived murder...

The ammount of arrogance amongst the fans of someone who preached EQUALITY. Here you are, saying that black people can't be racists, only the white can...Disgusting

Archived