💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Gaga Should be Independent

OMonster

Featured Posts

OMonster

The Taylor Swift scenario has highlighted flaws in the industry system - flaws that we have already witnessed in Gaga's own career. 

So why - with her many millions, contacts and know-how - is Lady Gaga (and Taylor for that matter, too) not an independent artist? 

Independence would give Gaga full control over her career, her music, her marketing, her image, her budgets - everything. 

It makes no sense to me as to why she wouldn't go it 'alone' with a team around her who can help. Sure, when you're starting out you need a record label - but Lady Gaga doesn't. She is big enough and known enough to call the shots if she wanted to. 

subtext / fantasy

Lilmonzter

I completely agree with that sentiment, with complete independence comes complete creative control! :vegas:

Sing C'est la vie 

OMonster
2 minutes ago, Bulk said:

she's not done with her contract yet 

She only recently re-signed... so she clearly doesn't want to be independent. I question why, though.

subtext / fantasy

AJRocketMan

We don’t know if she renewed her contract with Interscope or not. The contract said she owed them five albums, meaning five full-length albums with brand new original music. Well, in that case, The Fame Monster, Cheek to Cheek, and A Star Is Born don’t count as official studio albums because TFM is an EP and a rerelease, C2C is a covers album, and ASIB is a soundtrack for a movie. Only The Fame, Born This Way, ARTPOP, and Joanne count towards her contract, so I’m guessing she is still bound by her original contract, owing Interscope one final album. LG6 is technically LG5 from a contractual standpoint if I had to guess.

Widows Kiss
14 minutes ago, OMonster said:

Independence would give Gaga full control over her career, her music, her marketing, her image, her budgets - everything

That would be the end of Gaga

Reality
3 minutes ago, OMonster said:

She only recently re-signed... so she clearly doesn't want to be independent. I question why, though.

She probably likes her situation now as it is then.

I think they've given her more creative freedom than ever before; plus, they probably offer her some benefits too. I get that she could be more independent, and I think in an ideal world, many people would prefer to be independent, but labels can provide a lot of money, deals, and promo for their artists that independent artists could have trouble doing—even if Gaga's as big as she is, she could still need the help too.

🃏🖤👹

Epione

Well, she has a lot of freedom now, because she's just ignored by her label. Look how much money they give her to create music videos. :madge:

AlexanderMagno
7 minutes ago, OMonster said:

Independence would give Gaga full control over her career, her music, her marketing, her image, her budgets - everything. 

Hahahahahahahahaha

Well, given that Gaga has been criticized over the last five or six years for working with her friends who can’t say no to her, and do her projects without a proper creative director who can transform her ideas into gold, I think this would be a terrible idea :flop: absolutely terrible. This fanbase would start a civil war, and it’s already close.

I mean, let’s think about it: Gaga already works with the producers she wants, her team is her friends, already does what she wants with her career. She doesn’t need to be independent when she has a record label that takes care of her finances and bureaucratic stuff and still allows her to hire the producers she wants (and not the generic pop ones), do a jazz album, do a movie and go to a Vegas residency for god knows how long and take so many longs breaks. Her manager is her friend. Her record label is purely, simply, a support and barely has anything to say about her work. Single choices? Please, she has said multiple times she chooses the singles alongside Interscope, and every song she puts on her albums are hers. She is in a perfect position.

I see absolutely no advantage in Gaga going independent.

what you're saying is basically let gaga to run her own label, that's impossible, she's a singer not a executive. she can have her own team to do make up and stuff, but running a company is a different story. 

what she needs to do is focus on her career and let other professionals do their own stuff to help her.

OMonster
Just now, Bulk said:

what you're saying is basically let gaga to run her own label, that's impossible, she's a singer not a executive. she can have her own team to do make up and stuff, but running a company is a different story. 

what she needs to do is focus on her career and let other professionals do their own stuff to help her.

No, she wouldn't have to run the label. She could pay someone to do that - an executive manager. 

It's just like how Taylor, for example, has '13 Management' to manage her career. It's not like Taylor is a day-to-day CEO of that company. 

subtext / fantasy

LaLa

I honestly don’t think she should. I think Interscope allows her quite a bit a freedom creatively, while still providing the structure she needs. She’s said before that she’ll work on something, constantly tweaking and tinkering, until someone pries it from her hands basically. I think if she had too much freedom we might never get anything.

Since she recently re-signed with them she must see some value there, even if we don’t know the exact details ourselves.

TheFame Monster

Gaga spoke about the music industry in her Joanne interviews. I remember her saying that you don't need a record label to be successful in the business, but she herself does

Diamond heart99

Because even though she has a ton of money - it’s a very easy and quick way to go bankrupt.

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

It depends, Taylor and Gaga had 2 different labels and different creative freedoms. At the moment I don't think so, but maybe in the future. 

Archived