💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga not influenced by Madonna

Nino

Featured Posts

Didymus
16 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

She also thanked Chanel, Bowie, Prince and Warhol for being her biggest inspirations. Madonna is not the only one, nor is she the biggest. She’s just one of many artists who influenced Gaga during her early years.

No one's denying that though...

What you're posting is "the only thing about Madonna that influenced Gaga was her determinism" :air:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Temptation
10 minutes ago, Didymus said:

No one's denying that though...

What you're posting is "the only thing about Madonna that influenced Gaga was her determinism" :air:

“Only” doesn’t do “determinism” justice though. Neither Madonna nor Gaga would have made it had they not had the same attitude (of course Gaga did it differently, for a digital world). There is an art to making money, as Warhol said. Gaga and Madonna are both well versed in the performance art of selling success. 

Fashion wise, Gaga displays far more inspiration from Grace Jones, while on stage Gaga is very much a showman in the style of Michael and Janet Jackson (when there is choreo) or like Freddie Mercury at Live Aid (see her Glastonbury ‘09 performance).

Didymus
7 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

“Only” doesn’t do “determinism” justice though. Neither Madonna nor Gaga would have made it had they not had the same attitude (of course Gaga did it differently, for a digital world). There is an art to making money, as Warhol said. Gaga and Madonna are both well versed in the performance art of selling success. 

Fashion wise, Gaga displays far more inspiration from Grace Jones, while on stage Gaga is very much a showman in the style of Michael and Janet Jackson (when there is choreo) or like Freddie Mercury at Live Aid (see her Glastonbury ‘09 performance).

You really think Gaga named Madonna as one of her biggest inspirations just because she was determined and in control of her career? :rip:

In her first major interview she explicitly mentions that Madonna inspired her to combine visuals with music in an interesting way, you miss that? :koons: Again, she literally (and deliberately) dressed up as Madonna to open her Monster Ball 2.0 shows.

All of this "no, she wasn't that inspired" nonsense just seems very contrived to me. You gotta give credit where it's due and if Gaga literally said herself that Madonna was one of her biggest inspirations, esp. visually, then it just makes no sense to try to deny that :flop: Yes, of course she was also influenced by a ton of other artists, but why does that have to weigh against the fact that she was also inspired by Madonna? Just because she was inspired by Madonna doesn't mean she's a copycat or Madonna inspired her the most. But to argue that the only thing she was inspired by was her business sense... that is just too much.

Lord Temptation
4 minutes ago, Didymus said:

You really think Gaga named Madonna as one of her biggest inspirations just because she was determined and in control of her career? :rip:

In her first major interview she explicitly mentions that Madonna inspired her to combine visuals with music in an interesting way, you miss that? :koons: Again, she literally (and deliberately) dressed up as Madonna to open her Monster Ball 2.0 shows.

All of this "no, she wasn't that inspired" nonsense just seems very contrived to me. You gotta give credit where it's due and if Gaga literally said herself that Madonna was one of her biggest inspirations, esp. visually, then it just makes no sense to try to deny that :flop: Yes, of course she was also influenced by a ton of other artists, but why does that have to weigh against the fact that she was also inspired by Madonna? Just because she was inspired by Madonna doesn't mean she's a copycat or Madonna inspired her the most. But to argue that the only thing she was inspired by was her business sense... that is just too much.

Gaga knew exactly what to say when she was being interviewed all those years ago.

Didymus
1 minute ago, Lord Temptation said:

Gaga knew exactly what to say when she was being interviewed all those years ago.

So now we're gonna pretend she lied about being inspired by Madonna just 'cause you refuse to admit Madonna inspired her? :rip:

Wow.

AlexanderMagno

All this pointless effort to make Gaga as original as possible...

I'm guessing lots of you either don't know Madonna's career (so have no idea of her true impact in 80s pop music, LGBT fight, sex exposition, show abilities, fashion and music as a vehicle to all that)  or are relatively recent Gaga fans (and obviously Gaga has distanced herself from Madonna and tried to give her career a different trajectory).

At the end of the day, no artists in recent years have been more compared than Gaga and Madonna. That is not a coincidence. There's no shame in that.

Of course Gaga has multiple influences, half of her career was about emulating different icons into one single persona. That doesn't mean we should underestimate the influence of pop music's greatest icon.

PopThatArt

I remember Gaga even once said this, and something like "People look at me and see Madonna because they only look back 25 years, they don't know the history of the inspiration and things people like Madonna were inspired by." 

Go see A Star is Born

River

She's inspired by Madonna, there's nothing bad in it..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

androiduser

I don't hear a lot of Madonna in Gaga's music, but overall she's definitely influenced by the pop star formula that was created by Madonna, it's inevitable. The difference is that Gaga is a much stronger vocalist and instrumentalist so she can often extend to the territory that Madonna hasn't done. I would still say that Madonna is one of Gaga's biggest influences.

Damon

I mean Madge is one of herinspirqtions definitely but when I think of the ones who really inspired her, Dsvid Bowie and Grace Jones comes to mind

... and now i just sit in silence.

dlioncourt91

God, would it kill you guys to admit it? Gaga has her own identity but to deny Madonna's impact and influence on Gaga, or any other female artist influenced by her is ridiculous. Of course she is influenced by her even coming from her own mouth but because the fans that despise Madonna will do anything to not credit her. You care more about bragging rights, chart stats or arguing with the same lot of M fans that engage with you rather than see the obvious. She is clearly influenced by Madonna's career and anyone who doesn't see that is clearly either blind, delusional or denying the truth. She has other influences as well but Madonna is clearly one of them.

I love how everybody's talking about Gaga's attitude or the fact that she's a pop star who wears costumes and releases music videos when the OP was clearly about Gaga as a musician, you know, her actual JOB :lmao: 

Oriane
8 hours ago, Didymus said:

Then why is she singing pop music? :emma:

And why did she base her approach to music video's on Madonna and Michael? Why did she base her approach to touring on Madonna? :laughga: I haven't seen Freddie do choreos all night.

Oh, she definitely took the major elements from pop music but I would say it's just the outside, the shell. As she said, she's a "rockstar trapped in the body of a popstar". Take off the pop stuff and she will look more like Freddie than Madonna or Michael.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Didymus
Just now, Oriane said:

Oh, she definitely took the major elements from pop music but I would say it's just the outside, the shell. As she said, she's a "rockstar trapped in the body of a popstar". Take off the pop stuff and she will look more like Freddie than Madonna or Michael.

Except she hasn't made one rock song and she's been singing jazz standards for more than five years now :madge:

Gaga likes rock and metal and is inspired by those genres but they're just as replaceable as her other inspirations. I still am not convinced that she's more a "Bowie at heart" when her career trajectory is almost identical to that of Madonna :air:

• CyanLights locked this topic

Archived