• Last Reply
River

#NotMyJoJo

tenor.gif?itemid=9178767

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

BeyerJ
Just now, brownie said:

What a terrible example, lmao. 

It's more like making a movie on your iphone vs shooting on 35mm film: anyone can shoot a movie on their iphone, but it'll never ever compare to the color and clarity of 35mm film stock. 

Anyone can make a pop song on garageband on their laptop, but it'll never compare to the talent needed to compose a song with an 80-person orchestra. 

You equated a pop song on garageband to an 80 person orchestra when clearly you can get far more complicated than just that with music production software, and you can create a far less complicated piece than an 80 person orchestra with actual instruments. It's still the same thing. Creating sounds. You can put 80 sounds together on a song using even garageband if you want.

beaublue
7 minutes ago, brownie said:

What a terrible example, lmao. 

It's more like making a movie on your iphone vs shooting on 35mm film: anyone can shoot a movie on their iphone, but it'll never ever compare to the color and clarity of 35mm film stock. 

Anyone can make a pop song on garageband on their laptop, but it'll never compare to the talent needed to compose a song with an 80-person orchestra. 

Right now we're getting too many garageband tracks and not enough orchestras. 

I beg to differ, the movie “Unsane” was shot on the directors iphone & released in theaters & was brilliant. The only “difference” is quality & camera quality does not equate to art or the quality of the movie. By your standards, all movies that aren’t 35mm are sh*t. Sorry but I think you’re example is the terrible one lmao

1 hour ago, lovedillon said:

I beg to differ, the movie “Unsane” was shot on the directors iphone & released in theaters & was brilliant. The only “difference” is quality & camera quality does not equate to art or the quality of the movie. By your standards, all movies released decades ago are basically sh*t cause they weren’t filmed with the same quality cameras that we have now. Sorry but I think you’re example is the terrible one lmao

You clearly don't work in film, so let me educate you: 

Unsane still had a 1.5 million dollar budget and the iphones were retrofitted with expensive lenses and tons of lights and equipment were still used. You can't compare Unsane to my metaphor of everyone having iphones to shoot on, cause not everyone has 1.5 million dollars (plus 5+ million for marketing and special apple sponsors) to make a movie. 

And actually, most (nearly ALL) movies released decades ago were shot on 35mm or 70mm film, and all of them can easily be converted to 4k. Film stock is about 8k resolution by nature, and anything shot on film has more true color depth and "resolution" than anything digital today. It's for this reason that directors like Tarantino and Nolan still shoot on film and fight for it over digital, which is always the easier/lazier way to shoot a movie.  

Try again? 

Pacify Him
13 minutes ago, BeyerJ said:

What is people's obsession with instruments?

With computers and sound synthesis you can create almost literally anything you want.

It's like saying today's drivers aren't real travellers because they don't use horses. :laughga:

The "tak tak tak trktrktrk" sounds in every song released nowadays are so overused :selena: y'all know what I mean.

I’m getting on your nerves

BUtterfield 8
4 minutes ago, Pacify Him said:

The "tak tak tak trktrktrk" sounds in every song released nowadays are so overused :selena: y'all know what I mean.

The what 

dcb4i4n-907ecc93-3857-4088-927d-0c577f87

beaublue
14 minutes ago, brownie said:

You clearly don't work in film, so let me educate you: 

Unsane still had a 1.5 million dollar budget and the iphones were retrofitted with expensive lenses and tons of lights and equipment were still used. You can't compare Unsane to my metaphor of everyone having iphones to shoot on, cause not everyone has 1.5 million dollars (plus 5+ million for marketing and special apple sponsors) to make a movie. 

And actually, most movies released decades ago were all shot on 35mm or 70mm film, and all of them can easily be converted to 4k. Film stock is about 8k resolution by nature, and anything shot on film has more true color depth and "resolution" than anything digital today. It's for this reason that directors like Tarantino and Nolan still shoot on film and fight for it over digital, which is always the easier/lazier way to shoot a movie.  

Try again? 

And you clearly aren’t in the music industry or music production. The quality of the equipment you’re working with does not equal art or how good the work is & neither does the amount of money. There are tons of sh*tty vapid movies that have been released but those are automatically “good” cause of the quality of the film? If that’s the case then your standards are pretty low. I have spent hours upon hours listening to the same exact sound tweaking the pitch, reverb, dynamics, texture etc, it is just as tedious as practicing an “instrument” if not harder. You have to go to school & take hours of classes just to learn to use the software, it is way more complicated than learning to play a guitar. You really need to educate yourself on what quality is. “Oh that song isn’t good because it’s all electronic, that film isn’t good cause it’s not shot on quality film, oh that painting isn’t good because the canvas is newspaper” like get a grip dude. Quality equipment doesn’t make a quality product in terms of art. Your reasoning is the most absurd thing I’ve read since I saw trumps reasoning for banning trans people.

5 minutes ago, lovedillon said:

And you clearly aren’t in the music industry or music production. The quality of the equipment you’re working with does not equal are or how good the work is & neither does the amount of money. There are tons of sh*tty vapid movies that have been released but those are automatically “good” cause of the quality of the film? If that’s the case then your standards are pretty low. I have spent hours upon hours listening to the same exact sound tweaking the pitch, reverb, dynamics, texture etc, it is just as tedious as practicing an “instrument” if not harder. You have to go to school & take hours of classes just to learn to use the software, it is way more complicated than learning to play a guitar. You really need to educate yourself on what quality is. “Oh that song isn’t good because it’s all electronic, that film isn’t good cause it’s not shot on quality film, oh that painting isn’t good because the canvas is newspaper” like get a grip dude. Quality equipment doesn’t make a quality product in terms of art. Your reasoning is the most absurd thing I’ve read since I saw trumps reasoning for banning trans people.

Notice I never said anything about the quality of the art? I was using a metaphor for how people who take the time to use the best equipment usually have a lot more passion and creativity. In 9/10 cases this is true. 

Comparing this debate to Trump's argument for banning trans people? Lmao, get a grip.

beaublue
9 minutes ago, brownie said:

Notice I never said anything about the quality of the art? I was using a metaphor for how people who take the time to use the best equipment usually have a lot more passion and creativity. In 9/10 cases this is true. 

It isn’t though? Just because someone has the access & money to use better equipment doesn’t mean they have more passion for something? So many people can’t afford an actual piano but they still play at school & practice just as long. When I first started all I had was a piano & the synths on it & believe me it was the sh*ttiest sounding piano ever but I still practiced everyday, then I upgraded & so on. I honestly don’t think we’re going to make each other see our point of view lol

4 minutes ago, lovedillon said:

It isn’t though? Just because someone has the access & money to use better equipment doesn’t mean they have more passion for something? So many people can’t afford an actual piano but they still play at school & practice just as long. When I first started all I had was a piano & the synths on it & believe me it was the sh*ttiest sounding piano ever but I still practiced everyday, then I upgraded & so on. I honestly don’t think we’re going to make each other see our point of view lol

Dude, literally my whole metaphor was about finding a better metaphor than the dumb "horses and cars" metaphor from the last page. And I still believe that in 9/10 cases, the people who do strive for real instruments / real film stock are people trying to make their art the best it can be. 

I hope all those people who play piano get into a real studio and include real pianos in their music instead of synthetic ones. All I can say. 

Archived