💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Interscope Contract?

Delulu Rogers

Featured Posts

Delulu Rogers

I don't know much about this but I remember a couple of years ago people talking about how gaga renewed her contract with interscope and I was wondering if anyone knows how contracts with labels work/what they consist of. Aren't there deadlines that artists have to put out albums by? Is she free to do whatever she wants? Is the max amount of time between albums x years? As impatient as I am about LG6 :ladyhaha:, I'm also craving new Adele music and was curious to see if singers have deadlines they have to release by. I assume each contact has a different time frame based on whatever is negotiated, but if anyone knows anything about gaga's share below! 

mrsgagamonster

Usually while in a specific contract, the time frame is four calendar years once an artist is established. So if the last album came out in 2016, the label will try to have the album out by end of 2020 at the latest. Those who take longer are usually between contracts.

Not The Real Gaga

I think Gaga earned enough credits and is famous enough to get rid of deadlines. Nobody is gonna tell her what to do and when. Labels want her, because she makes a lot of money for them. So, no deadlines. She probably had them in the beginning of her career.

HotLikeMexico

I think she still has deadlines to an extent (maybe it's more lenient since she's established enough). But I think she has a lot more leeway as long as everyone is on the same page. It all comes down to the team and communication at most. It's like any job where you have to meet certain criteria, expectations etc. (I'm just assuming here)

FfFfFfFF

Lana is also signed to Interscope and she said they won't her release a new album sooner than 18 months after the last one. All I know for sure.

gypsy101

the one person whose contract i really wonder about is Rihanna, she released 7 albums from 2005 to 2012... like what kind of contract did she have

and why did it end that now it’s been 7 years and we’ve only gotten one album since

(also the fact that she has the most #1 hits of the decade and hasn’t released an album in 3 years)

gagaxsebert
20 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

the one person whose contract i really wonder about is Rihanna, she released 7 albums from 2005 to 2012... like what kind of contract did she have

and why did it end that now it’s been 7 years and we’ve only gotten one album since

(also the fact that she has the most #1 hits of the decade and hasn’t released an album in 3 years)

Rih’s original contract with Def Jam was a 6 album deal with deadlines. And then she released Unapologetic with no contract, I think. 

And now she is with roc nation and on her own label (Westbury Road) and she is free to do what she likes

Used to be HighRoad

The Child
25 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

I think she just made all these albums from 2005 to 2012 to establish herself and to get rid of her contract so she can be free to do whatever she wants to.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

gypsy101
4 minutes ago, IrishMonster said:

Rih’s original contract with Def Jam was a 6 album deal with deadlines. And then she released Unapologetic with no contract, I think. 

And now she is with roc nation and on her own label (Westbury Road) and she is free to do what she likes

oh okay thanks for the info!

i miss her old contract then lol

Versace

My understanding is that labels have a big influence in release dates and single choices. Given that the material is ready to be released though. 

Schizophonic
6 hours ago, Versace said:

My understanding is that labels have a big influence in release dates and single choices. Given that the material is ready to be released though. 

but one big thing whats not been said here yet is that labels are very much driven by "hit singles". they want a single to fullfill expectations and sometimes they like the material given but they dont see a hitsingle in the material and want to artist to deliver more. thats what happened with ariana and sweetener for example. the album was kind of done and they send her back to the studio and she added the 3 big singles by max martin to the already "done" album.

pretty sure that is what happened with gaga recently as well.

TheSlash
8 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Lana is also signed to Interscope and she said they won't her release a new album sooner than 18 months after the last one. All I know for sure.

But the release was almost 2 years ( 24 months ) ago.

chicago blackhawks hockey GIF

and more important: Lana, where's the album with my first name on it? :cryga: 

Ew, David!

FfFfFfFF
1 hour ago, TheSlash said:

But the release was almost 2 years ( 24 months ) ago.

chicago blackhawks hockey GIF

and more important: Lana, where's the album with my first name on it? :cryga: 

You are reading my comment wrong. :laughga: She said that if she wants to release an album less than 18 months after the last one they won't let her because is too soon.

Maleficent
9 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

well it’s been 24 so she’s all clear to releasing NFR 

Madame Goo Goo
10 hours ago, mrsgagamonster said:

Usually while in a specific contract, the time frame is four calendar years once an artist is established. So if the last album came out in 2016, the label will try to have the album out by end of 2020 at the latest. Those who take longer are usually between contracts.

A Star Is Born was released under Interscope, so does this mean that we actually aren't guaranteed an album until the end of 2022? :saladga::selena:

Lady Gaga doesn't owe us anything

Archived