Jump to content
Stefani Tee
politics

Quebec bans religious symbols in public sector jobs

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 7
  • YAAAS 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 4

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Benji

I mostly agree with this.  I think there needs to be exceptions for certain wings of public offices like those that offer support to religious people but generally, the state needs to be separate from religion and that should really apply to those working for the state.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
holy scheisse

Hmmm... i dont know that i agree with it. what an interesting controversy. because i wouldnt want to tell somebody they couldnt wear the clothing item theyve always been wearing.

i thought this meant like images of the star of david, jesus cross, etc.

That seems to impact christians the least because a cross necklace could easily continue to be worn hidden lol. 

  • Like 13

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faysalaaa
19 minutes ago, Benji said:

I mostly agree with this.  I think there needs to be exceptions for certain wings of public offices like those that offer support to religious people but generally, the state needs to be separate from religion and that should really apply to those working for the state.

But it is separate! wearing a cross necklace does not bring christianity into government. A woman wearing a hijab working for government, does not bring Islam into government. Defining a Muslim woman by her hijab is wrong.

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 12

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faysalaaa
3 minutes ago, holy scheisse said:

Hmmm... i dont know that i agree with it. what an interesting controversy. because i wouldnt want to tell somebody they couldnt wear the clothing item theyve always been wearing.

i thought this meant like images of the star of david, jesus cross, etc.

That seems to impact christians the least because a cross necklace could easily continue to be worn hidden lol. 

Its not that interesting, it happens in france all the time. Remember they did not allow women with hijab to go to the beach? also, in france wearing a hijab is kinda illegal in certain circumstances. Quebec is connected to France so..

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
holy scheisse
1 minute ago, Faysalaaa said:

Its not that interesting, it happens in france all the time. Remember they did not allow women with hijab to go to the beach? also, in france wearing a hijab is kinda illegal in certain circumstances. Quebec is connected to France so..

I guess I personally find it interesting bc i used to be a person that would have thought this was a good idea, bc i personally believe religion should be eradicated from government in literally all ways. but i noticed that now that im older id much rather not take any objection with people practicing their religion, just cause i wish it didnt exist lol. its not like anyone is harming anybody by wearing religious clothing articles.

  • Like 5

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faysalaaa
5 minutes ago, holy scheisse said:

I guess I personally find it interesting bc i used to be a person that would have thought this was a good idea, bc i personally believe religion should be eradicated from government in literally all ways. but i noticed that now that im older id much rather not take any objection with people practicing their religion, just cause i wish it didnt exist lol. its not like anyone is harming anybody by wearing religious clothing articles.

Yes exactly! I understand if they ban religion if its used or practiced. I understand if someone prays during their job. I understand if someone covers their face. I understand removing all religion from the work place but, wearing a hijab is not a religion practice and does not interfere or used in the job. Hindu men and women also wear "hijab" and they cant remove it, they should be allowed to work for government. Same to wearing a cross or anything other religion clothing.

Im a Muslim and I do not believe in Hijab at all, many sects in islam dont. None of my family wear hijab. But that does not mean I should ban other people from doing so.

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
River

As an atheist it always disturbs me to see a worker with a cross or when they say god bless you or things like that or if the worker is a Jew and knows that I’m Israeli they start to talk about the religion and Jewish stuff..

I think it’s time to understand that not everyone is religious and public places should be neutral. 

Religious people shouldn’t be above others or get a special treatment, it’s pretty simple..

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • Like 13

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
gumzy3000

I’m pretty divided on this. 

On one hand I think people should be able to practice their religion freely without persecution but on the other hand, I think people who work for the government should never bring religion into their workplace. 

But this just applies to religious symbolism. It’s not like these people were forcing their religion down peoples throats. Like is wearing a cross or hijab really that bad? I don’t think those symbols symbolize ethics or morals. You can be good or bad regardless of the religion you follow.

So I guess I just answered my own question.

My verdict: This is actually a really bad move from the government of Quebec.

  • Like 7

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
gumzy3000
3 minutes ago, River said:

As an atheist it always disturbs me to see a worker with a cross or when they say god bless you or things like that or if the worker is a Jew and knows that I’m Israeli they start to talk about the religion and Jewish stuff..

I think it’s time to understand that not everyone is religious and public places should be neutral. 

Religious people shouldn’t be above others or get a special treatment, it’s pretty simple..

Why does it disturb you if someone wears a cross or if they talk to you about Jewish things? Are they forcibly converting you? If not and they are a good person, why should it matter what they wear or what they talk to you about (you can ignore this and move on with your life) 

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faysalaaa
51 minutes ago, River said:

As an atheist it always disturbs me to see a worker with a cross or when they say god bless you or things like that or if the worker is a Jew and knows that I’m Israeli they start to talk about the religion and Jewish stuff..

I think it’s time to understand that not everyone is religious and public places should be neutral. 

Religious people shouldn’t be above others or get a special treatment, it’s pretty simple..

Someone wearing a cross or hijab is not asking for special treatment lol

You are the one asking for special treatment for atheists to ban what they dont like.

 

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 7

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
mauvais

I don't see the harm of head coverings. Laws like this just target and further minoritize people who are already minorities in the government, public services and schools. I don't think this is an effort to assimilate people but to purge them from the public sphere when schools and police departments, etc should reflect their communities.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
River
5 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

Why does it disturb you if someone wears a cross or if they talk to you about Jewish things? Are they forcibly converting you? If not and they are a good person, why should it matter what they wear or what they talk to you about (you can ignore this and move on with your life) 

 

Because it's disrespecting me, when you assume that by default I'm religious, it's disrespecting.

To tell me god bless you when you know that I'm an atheist, it's disrespecting.

There's this idea that we always need to respect religious people, but atheists don't get respect back.

It's easy to say "move on with your life" but you know that it's not like that in reality lol

 

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...