Jump to content
Stefani Tee
đŸŽ€ Use code GAGAVEGAS at SeatGeek.com to get $20 off tickets đŸŽ€
celeb

Miley Cyrus Apologises for Hip Hop Remarks

Featured Posts

VoldeLorde2
Just now, JohnnyVersace said:

Not at all, because that's Ru's verse, a gay drag queen. She was referencing predominantly straight men in hip hop coercing women into sex by flaunting their wealth, or trading sex for Rolexes and Lambos.

Bragging about how well you suck cock, if anything, is uplifting and empowering to owning your sexuality. 

But, you tried. 

tumblr_mna2q14T7z1srqitpo2_250.gif

I'm just bringing in the fact that she's degrading some songs while also talking with the same subject matter. I'm not degrading Miley or Ru or anyone for expressing themselves in their music. I'm pointing out the fact that she looks like a hyprocrite for criticizing something while doing the exact thing she's criticizing.  I mean "Come sit on my ****, suck on my cock." and "Bust my *** nut while I'm fingering your butt" are very similar

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnnyVersace
Just now, VoldeLorde2 said:

I'm just bringing in the fact that she's degrading some songs while also talking with the same subject matter. I'm not degrading Miley or Ru or anyone for expressing themselves in their music. I'm pointing out the fact that she looks like a hyprocrite for criticizing something while doing the exact thing she's criticizing.  I mean "Come sit on my ****, suck on my cock." and "Bust my *** nut while I'm fingering your butt" are very similar

You can discuss sex without being degrading tho. And having a drag queen rap about giving head on a track has much more social impact than a straight men demanding sex. Period.

  • LMAO 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guillaume Hamon
14 minutes ago, Musicisfreedom said:

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with this?

Folks acted like if her comments was an attack against hip hop music overall when she clearly said it was the sexist and shallow hip hop songs that bothered her.

Her comment implied that sexist comments were more present among this genre than among other genres ( which is quite true imo) and some took it ( or wanted to took it) as a negative generalization of the genre. I don't think she actually placed all hip hop acts in the same box with these comments tho.

Also since she's white every critical comment from her toward a black art form will be deemed as probably having racist undertones etc even if she was maybe just giving her opinion.

Edited by Guillaume Hamon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
lovedillon
22 minutes ago, Ethan said:

That was very decent of her to do. Wish she would’ve done it two years ago, but beggars can’t be choosers and as long as she knows that her privilege is something that she wasn’t aware of at the time, i think, a very important step. given the many controversies she has, I’m glad she spoke about this one. 

I fail to see why she has to apologize in the first place or how her “privilege” has anything to do with it? She gave her reason for moving out of the hip hop world because it’s all become clout rap & I don’t see anything wrong with that? She didn’t say anything racist out of this world insane or untrue.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
geishababe

For anyone who’s confused as to what the problem is: she made that statement as if she was even part of the hip hop community (which most would say she wasn’t/isn’t). Who is she to judge a community that she isn’t a part of and also use different aesthetics from that community to pander to a specific audience and then decide to change her persona and stick up her nose afterwards. For her, hip hop was a trend she hopped on but for others it’s a lifestyle and art form they really connect with. Her privilege is that she is able to move from one genre to another and not being boxed in by a label. Whereas a black artist will pretty much always be boxed into a specific stereotype/genre. Look at OTR and the controversy of whether it was a country song or not and then her dad hopped on it and suddenly it was country. 

Edited by geishababe
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyanewest

Truth is, she's never been a true fan of hip hop, it was just a phase for her. You don't just decide to "stay out of hip hop" bcs of lyrics. Hip hop has songs with so much poetry but u only know that if ur a fan and go back to the beginning, it's the youngest genre, started in the 80s pretty much. She shouldve said I was in a phase 

Dr Dre don't just stand there, operate!
  • Like 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kattys
39 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said:

Not at all, because that's Ru's verse, a gay drag queen. She was referencing predominantly straight men in hip hop coercing women into sex by flaunting their wealth, or trading sex for Rolexes and Lambos.

Bragging about how well you suck cock, if anything, is uplifting and empowering to owning your sexuality. 

But, you tried. 

tumblr_mna2q14T7z1srqitpo2_250.gif

At her last concert (Orange Warsaw Festival), before this song she said that she wrote that song about her ***. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
aaronyoji

that still doesnt make it ok for hip hop artists and rappers  being sexist tho? sexism knows no prejudice its everywhere, including hip hop. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ziggy
1 hour ago, kyanewest said:

Truth is, she's never been a true fan of hip hop, it was just a phase for her. You don't just decide to "stay out of hip hop" bcs of lyrics. Hip hop has songs with so much poetry but u only know that if ur a fan and go back to the beginning, it's the youngest genre, started in the 80s pretty much. She shouldve said I was in a phase 

I mean, I think we could give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she’s referring to current rap/hip-hop. She referred to Kendrick as an example of great current rap so I think she just meant what was current then.

 

(I don’t disagree with you whatsoever; there’s some real poetry in the genre)

  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guillaume Hamon
11 hours ago, geishababe said:

For anyone who’s confused as to what the problem is: she made that statement as if she was even part of the hip hop community (which most would say she wasn’t/isn’t).

Did she? :/  The "it pushed me out of the scene" sounds more like a way to say it made her love hip hop a bit less rather than a manner to say it made her go away from the hip hop scene as if she was an hip hop act herself.

But maybe this part of her old comments were ambiguous cause it could mean both indeed.

11 hours ago, geishababe said:

Who is she to judge a community that she isn’t a part of

Everybody's free to have an opinion and express it, mainly when it comes to denouncing sexism.

I don't think she has to be a hip hop act to be critical of hip hop. If only insiders were allowed to critic ( whatever the community concerned by the way) the change would often be longer to come since you would overall have less points of view to confront.


Imo it's a good thing that they hear about the views of folks outside of your world as long as it's not insult or disdain and Cyrus's comment seemed deeper than mere bashing to me.

11 hours ago, geishababe said:

and also use different aesthetics from that community to pander to a specific audience and then decide to change her persona and stick up her nose afterwards.

She didn't dismiss all of the culture so she never did stick up her nose when it comes to hip hop. Only 2 recurrent aspects of it that she precised were not existing among every hip hop act. 

11 hours ago, geishababe said:

Look at OTR and the controversy of whether it was a country song or not and then her dad hopped on it and suddenly it was country. 

Yep that one was f*cking obvious. Mainly when many songs that were mainly pop and a bit country were easily accepted as country.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
geishababe
32 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Everybody's free to have an opinion and express it, mainly when it comes to denouncing sexism.

I don't think she has to be a hip hop act to be critical of hip hop. If only insiders were allowed to critic ( whatever the community concerned by the way) the change would often be longer to come since you would overall have less points of view to confront.

Of course she's free to express her opinion but it's coming from a place of ignorance. Would you still have the same stance if a straight man was critiquing gay culture or a man's opinion on feminism? She basically took the parts of the hip hop community that she liked and used it to market her new image and then decided drop that image and denounce it for being overtly sexual and materialistic when her music/image was the exact same thing. Hip Hop fans are annoyed because she is using a stereotype to describe the genre when hip hop was actually born out of the black and latinx community for survival. It's an important part of identity to certain communities and for her to just "jump in" to the genre for fun and then say she's over it is seen as disrespectful and shows her privilege.

Edited by geishababe

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guillaume Hamon
7 hours ago, geishababe said:

Would you still have the same stance if a straight man was critiquing gay culture or a man's opinion on feminism?

Yeah cause his critic will not necessarily be wrong cause he's straight.

Some straight men know more about gay culture than most gays and even if they know nothing about the culture, he can still make a valid point since every culture can be questioned. As long as his not just bashing it for the sake of without trying to be constructive.

7 hours ago, geishababe said:

ï»ż She basically took the parts of the hip hop community that she liked and used it to market her new image and then decided drop that image and denounce it for being overtly sexual and materialistic when her music/image was the exact same thing.

Well  I won't judge the sincerity of her love for hip hop since I can't know. Maybe it's just a trick to gain more fans indeed but I hope not.

I don't think she was bothered by the fact it was overtly sexual but rather by the fact she felt it was sometimes sexual in a degrading manner for women. That's what I understood of her view at the time with this old comment at least.

Maybe she herself changed her view on these things then decided to only do it in a non-literal or to only do it for fun  way we can't really know...

7 hours ago, geishababe said:

Hip Hop fans are annoyed because she is using a stereotype to describe the genre when hip hop was actually born out of the black and latinx community for survival. It's an important part of identity to certain communities and for her to just "jump in" to the genre for fun and then say she's over it is seen as disrespectful and shows her privilege.

I don't think she summed up the genre to that so to me it was more of a view but I guess we didn't take it the same way.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustHMLover
On 6/11/2019 at 10:54 PM, Faysalaaa said:

That youtube channels thinks everything is problematic

I dont understand why she had to apologize

she talked **** about hiphop music and now her new album features hiphop inspirations and artists lol....

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faysalaaa
1 hour ago, JustHMLover said:

she talked **** about hiphop music and now her new album features hiphop inspirations and artists lol....

so? lol

  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...