Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

DC pride bans Jewish pride flag

Featured Posts

Melech

Participants at an upcoming gay pride parade in D.C. will be able to wave the Palestinian flag, but not the Israeli flag or the Jewish pride flag. 

The D.C. Dyke March will not allow participants to display Israeli or “nationalist” symbols, according to Forward. 

“This includes Israeli flags, as well as flags that resemble Israeli flags, such as a pride flag with a Star of David in the middle,” march organizer Rae Gaines said. Gaines also said American flags would not be welcome at the event, but a Palestinian flag would. 

“The issue [with the Jewish Pride flag] is where the Star of David is positioned in a way that looks like an Israeli flag, it creates an unsafe space,” Gaines said. 

A joint statement from Jewish, feminist, and LGBT groups condemned the move. They pointed out “rising anti-Semitism on the far right and far left.” 

“The DC Dyke March should know better than to stoke the flames of division and pain by driving a wedge between Queer Arabs and Jews at a time we must stand united against homo- and transphobia, anti-Semitism, and Islamophobia,” it reads. 

The Anti-Defamation League also called out the move in a Thursday statement. 

“Banning the Star of David in their parade is anti-Semitic, plain and simple,” CEO Jonathan Greenblat said. “We call on the organizers to immediately reverse this policy.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/dc-gay-pride-parade-faces-backlash-after-banning-jewish-pride-flag

• Like 1
  • LMAO 2
  • Sad 15

AMENiCURE

2019 is so far messy

this + straight pride

literally makes no sense

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

TimisaMonster

Selective discrimination coming from a persecuted minority of society...wow

• Like 4

Faysalaaa

The article says they are against the Israeli flag. The only reason why they banned the Jewish gay pride flag is because its literally the Israel flag but with rainbows on it. Jewish symbolism and pride are welcome but Israeli flags are not. They are against Israel as a country, not as a religion or race.

Although I think it should be allowed because Gay pride is for everyone, but this is not an anti semitic issue.

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 5
  • LMAO 2
  • Thanks 4

Melech
12 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

They are against Israel as a country, not as a religion or race. You can wave Jewish things but not Israeli things. This is a political issue and war that they chose a side. Although I think it should be allowed because Gay pride is for everyone, I dont see it as a big problem.

Did you even brother to read it? The Jewish pride flag is banned. 

They are against proud Jews. 

Edited by Melech
  • Like 2

Benji

Let’s ban all religious symbolism from Pride unless it’s for satire or a joke.  These institutions don’t want us and I don’t want them :vegas:

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

ARTPOP2

I am very anti-Israel but this is ridiculous. If they won't let any country's flag fly, they shouldn't allow the Palestinian one. If they allow religious symbols on pride flags, the star of David should not be excluded since it's representing a faith group not the Israeli apartheid nor the colors of its flag. Truly ridiculous. They should be focusing on more important things and not try to erase an already marginalized part of our community. No matter how politics or religion might divide us, we are still united in our queer experiences and our common queer culture.

• Like 3

Melech
3 minutes ago, ARTPOP2 said:

I am very anti-Israel but this is ridiculous. If they won't let any country's flag fly, they shouldn't allow the Palestinian one. If they allow religious symbols on pride flags, the star of David should not be excluded since it's representing a faith group not the Israeli apartheid nor the colors of its flag. Truly ridiculous. They should be focusing on more important things and not try to erase an already marginalized part of our community. No matter how politics or religion might divide us, we are still united in our queer experiences and our common queer culture.

Eventhough we disagree on Israeli politics, I agree with you on that. 

• Like 1

Andreu

why would you have a pride+any religion flag we-

soundcloud.com/andreusongs
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 5

Melech
1 minute ago, Andreu said:

The symbol stand for Jewish people, not only a religion. Jews are an ethnicity 

Faysalaaa
1 hour ago, Melech said:

Did you even brother to read it? The Jewish pride flag is banned. 

They are against proud Jews. 

Im sure if someone wants to celebrate being a Gay Jew, they would allow it. But celebrating Israel is not allowed.

Edited by Faysalaaa

Melech
1 minute ago, Faysalaaa said:

Im sure if someone wants to celebrate being a Gay Jew, they would allow it. But celebrating Israel is not allowed. Im not sure but I think that is what they meant.

For ****s sake, read the ****ing article.  No, they don’t allow it to save the Jewish pride flag. Stop excusing antisemites. 

Edited by Melech

ARTPOP2
39 minutes ago, Benji said:

Let’s ban all religious symbolism from Pride unless it’s for satire or a joke.  These institutions don’t want us and I don’t want them :vegas:

6 minutes ago, Andreu said:

you know I have given up on religion, I find it oppressive and I don't feel the need to have it as part of my identity. But there are tons and tons of queer people that are religious and are part of religious communities. They should not be erased and they should be able to have pride in their intersectional identity no matter what we think about religion. 

• Like 1

FATCAT

They should ban all of them, let's leave religion/countries out of it.

█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓ This püssy grabs back. █▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3