💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can Katy Perry surpass Taylor Swift, critically and commercially?

Bradley

Who do you think will be remembered more favourably with her new era?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Title

Featured Posts

weed

mm well I honestly doubt Katy will get a #2 debut or even close, but I think her single will have more longevity in the 10s

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dutch
2 hours ago, Bradley said:

Taylor is still one of the biggest stars in the world, having sold out stadium shows all over the world and Katy Perry isn't exactly in her teenage dream era.

This is not the tea in Europe tho. Just saying.

Bradley
24 minutes ago, Dream Rider said:

I’m all with the Grammy rejection

Yes they might be a popular recognition of talent but nothing else further of the reality. 

In 2017 we witnessed an injustice but somehow it confirms what pretty much is about “popularity” and then when Gaga made an impact out of the sudden they give her 3 awards. I won’t forget it and it seems like most of you did :saladga:

Why do we brag around judging artistic value based on Grammys earned, that doesn’t make sense at all, Beyoncé isn’t the Supreme Artist as 20+ statues back it up or Björk couldn’t be taken seriously as 0 Grammys don’t prove she has artistic vision

Guys come on, Is it too much too ask for you to remember something that happened 2 years ago

Shape of You was adored by the GP and critics? I mean just because Ed Sheeran doesn't wear extravagant gowns doesn't mean he doesn't know how to write a song. It seems like the gheys here will judge every single male artist if he doesn't have a vagina. Think about it, when was the last time you guys actually liked a male artist without prejudice?

I mean, personally I would have voted for Million Reasons, but some people would go to the lengths of saying Shape of You was trash, which clearly is just jealousy for the success he obtained. Be better than that.

RoverLoader
47 minutes ago, Bradley said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Adele, but to say that you can sell 20 million copies without having the ability to write or sing a song well, is just a little ignorant. 'Vanilla, forgettable album', that's like the opinion of you? Why do you state it like it is a fact that should be shared between thousands of professionals in the panel and industry? And, am I supposed to think (no offence) that the opinion of a random Internet user, is more valuable and reliable than those who actually sit down to write a song, sing it, perfect it, perform it?

And Cardi B won for Rap, it's not like she won for Best Pop Solo Performance or anything.

I never said that though did I? I never said she couldn't sing or write well; she can. Where I take Umbridge is the fact that apparently she was the BEST out of all of the artists in the world for that year and that is simply not reality. And of course I'm giving my opinion, who's else would I give?  I could care less whether you value my opinion or not and again, I never asked you too, I just think it's hilarious you just seem to take something as gospel just because people in the industry tell you that's the way it is. Did you ever try critical thinking? It's not HARD!

Also, hilariously ironic you're defending the Grammies while dissing Cardi B's win simply cos it's rap. Who said Best Pop solo perfor4mance was worth more or less than rap? Sounds like a very bigoted view tbh.

RoverLoader
49 minutes ago, JevyDuty said:

Wow... just wow.

How do you explain Kacey Musgraves winning AOTY? 

Edit: I listened to Golden Hour after she won for the first time and it's an awesome album. You might not agree but so was 25.

You're missing the point. Is it any better of an album simply cos the Grammies gave it an award?  As for 25, I'll disagree. Other than Hello, I cannot remember a single song from that album. It's all just opinions, nothing more than that. I just find it odd that some of you guys place so much prestige or emphasise on winning a grammy. I mean if Gaga never won another grammy again or was never acknowledged by them I couldn't give a damn. It wouldn't stop me buying her albums. I just find it quite bizarre That's all.

JevyDuty
18 minutes ago, RoverLoader said:

You're missing the point. Is it any better of an album simply cos the Grammies gave it an award?  As for 25, I'll disagree. Other than Hello, I cannot remember a single song from that album. It's all just opinions, nothing more than that. I just find it odd that some of you guys place so much prestige or emphasise on winning a grammy. I mean if Gaga never won another grammy again or was never acknowledged by them I couldn't give a damn. It wouldn't stop me buying her albums. I just find it quite bizarre That's all.

I definitely agree that it's opinions. But we are not the ones adding prestige or emphasize winning a Grammy; Artist themselves and industry does. Good musicians win Grammys or at least are nominated. I feel like Gaga has enough Grammys to last her a lifetime. She's music Gold. Let me ask you, you don't think Katy wants a Grammy? That if she won, she wouldn't cry and it wouldn't be the "greatest moment" of her life? 

RoverLoader
Just now, JevyDuty said:

I definitely agree that it's opinions. But we are not the ones adding prestige or emphasize winning a Grammy; Artist themselves and industry does. Good musicians win Grammys or at least are nominated. I feel like Gaga has enough Grammys to last her a lifetime. She's music Gold. Let me ask you, you don't think Katy wants a Grammy? That if she won, she wouldn't cry and it wouldn't be the "greatest moment" of her life? 

I'm sure she would, but that's not really the point I was making. She'd want one too look good in her "club". All I'm saying is that for me it makes ZERO difference whether an artist has one or not, I find them utterly irrelevant, they don't necessarily equate to good or memorable music and I don't get why it's such a big thing. I often see people here commentating like I hope such and such wins a grammy or "x" artist has won 5 grammies - like that means anything? It very much is fanbases too.

Literally the only benefit to winning one is you potentially get showcased on the night , thus possibly driving up sales. But as for making me actually go out and buy an album, because it won best harmonica harmony, well...no, not really.

Bradley
1 hour ago, RoverLoader said:

I never said that though did I? I never said she couldn't sing or write well; she can. Where I take Umbridge is the fact that apparently she was the BEST out of all of the artists in the world for that year and that is simply not reality. And of course I'm giving my opinion, who's else would I give?  I could care less whether you value my opinion or not and again, I never asked you too, I just think it's hilarious you just seem to take something as gospel just because people in the industry tell you that's the way it is. Did you ever try critical thinking? It's not HARD!

Also, hilariously ironic you're defending the Grammies while dissing Cardi B's win simply cos it's rap. Who said Best Pop solo perfor4mance was worth more or less than rap? Sounds like a very bigoted view tbh.

I'm glad that you acknowledged that it was your personal opinion, something industry professionals are not obliged to share.

Never did I claim that Pop Solo Performance was more prestigious than Rap, I simply said Cardi B won a Grammy for a category she was eligible and had some flair in, because you claimed that we're not supposed to take her seriously as a musician, in fact you were the one who suggested that rap had a lower prestige than pop. Cause I dk, is rap not music to you?

Here's your quote:

Spoiler

I mean Cardi fkn B has a Grammy LMAO Are we saying that Cardi B is well versed in the art and craft of music?

RoverLoader
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

Hide contents

I mean Cardi fkn B has a Grammy LMAO Are we saying that Cardi B is well versed in the art and craft of music?

The difference being you said rap as a genre was undeserving. I said Cardi B as an Artist was undeserving. Not sure what part of that you don't get? I never said rap as a genre had lower prestige. YOU actually did. In fact you flat out lied.

"And Cardi B won for Rap, it's not like she won for Best Pop Solo Performance or anything. "

THATS what you said - implying it wasn't as good. 

Learn to read before you try and come for me, cos u aren't worthy. It's embarrassing to think people can't see what you wrote previously and would just go with what you say lol. You lied.

illySpencer
4 hours ago, RAMROD said:

Taylor have gotten 10 Grammys so far. Do you think that's possible to be beat by Katy? :poot:

BOB MARLEY, JIMI HENDRIX, TUPAC, LED ZEPPELIN, QUEEN, DIANA ROSS, JANIS JOPLIN, PATSY CLINE, SNOOP DOGG, GUNS N' ROSES, THE WHO never won a grammy but they all are LEGEND and had a big career ! 

Reapeat after me, GRAMMIES are not synonymous to have a big career !!! Actually it doesn't mean anything ! It just a price.

Katy already beats Taylor.

Taylor is strong in the USA and Katy is too. But her Me! video is really struggling on YouTube and on the charts too, right now. Taylor does strong numbers when she shades people (LWYMMD, Bad Blood), otherwise nobody cares. Taylor is not that famous outside the USA. She always jump France when she is on tour. Taylor's name is knowed outside the USA since she began pop music.  

Katy is a world pop star since her debut. It's been 11 years that the world knows her name.  She is doing very well now and even Witness was not the flop that everybody wants to tell. Dark Horse and Roar are on the top of the best selling song of RIAA history, when Taylor's doesn't pick. 

So maybe Katy has not the same numbers sales on the USA, but in the world Katy is better than Taylor. 

ChromeAngel

She’s been mia for so long I don’t think she can ever fully recover. Not that she’ll always flop but she won’t be one of the main pop girls :lolly:

Bradley
23 minutes ago, RoverLoader said:

The difference being you said rap as a genre was undeserving. I said Cardi B as an Artist was undeserving. Not sure what part of that you don't get? I never said rap as a genre had lower prestige. YOU actually did. In fact you flat out lied.

"And Cardi B won for Rap, it's not like she won for Best Pop Solo Performance or anything. "

THATS what you said - implying it wasn't as good. 

Learn to read before you try and come for me, cos u aren't worthy. It's embarrassing to think people can't see what you wrote previously and would just go with what you say lol. You lied.

Oh wait, I don't have time for your semantics. Let's just say you're right and I was discriminating rap, I'm sure everyone would agree with you.

raragaga

no way in hell

xoxo

TheRealJT
1 hour ago, RoverLoader said:

I'm sure she would, but that's not really the point I was making. She'd want one too look good in her "club". All I'm saying is that for me it makes ZERO difference whether an artist has one or not, I find them utterly irrelevant, they don't necessarily equate to good or memorable music and I don't get why it's such a big thing. I often see people here commentating like I hope such and such wins a grammy or "x" artist has won 5 grammies - like that means anything? It very much is fanbases too.

Literally the only benefit to winning one is you potentially get showcased on the night , thus possibly driving up sales. But as for making me actually go out and buy an album, because it won best harmonica harmony, well...no, not really.

What about having critically acclaimed albums? Katy has some of the lowest metacritic scores.

One of the Boys-47

Teenage Dream-52

Prism-61

Witness-52

While all of Taylor’s albums are over 70

Archived