Apple Music
Sign in to follow this  
tech

Dead In The Water: Huawei Loses ARM Chip

Featured Posts

RAMROD

Huawei can't just go and develop its own chip designs. If ARM halts its business with the Chinese firm for good, there will be trouble ahead. 

The very bleak future facing Chinese tech giant Huawei after suffering its latest blow: the decision by chip designer ARM – based in Cambridge, England, but owned by Japan’s Softbank – that it has to suspend all business dealings with Huawei to comply with US sanctions.

That’s because just as the whole world of mobile and embedded devices depends on ARM’s design for powerful but energy-efficient chips, they in turn are underpinned by a few bits of technology that originate in the United States. “This would seem to be as close to a death sentence as you get, and I'm not sure honestly how they would recover from that,” says Christopher Balding, an economics professor at Fulbright University Vietnam and an expert in Chinese policy. 

The future may be bleak for Huawei.

Source:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/arm-huawei-us-china-trade-war

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Your ♥ Garbage ♥ In ♥ Is ♥ Garbage ♥ Out ♥

ExMachina

:air: this gets worse by the day, America cancelled Huawei

ARM is literally the architecture used by processors in any mobile device these days. 

Edited by ExMachina
  • Like 1

Amen Fashion

This is actually a really bad thing to happen. In Germany there would be no way that sth like this happens 💩

THATFoxyFeeling

I really don't get the hate towards Huawei,  P30 Pro is a really good phone. 

• Like 1

Saint Jude
24 minutes ago, THATFoxyFeeling said:

I really don't get the hate towards Huawei,  P30 Pro is a really good phone. 

pretty sure this has something to do with apple trying to force their monopoly on the rest of the world etc etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

neptugne

If they only wanted to ruin Huawei, they could've done this earlier. I wonder how/if the next president will be the foreign relations bc eeek bigger and bigger moves are happening

• Like 1

Daredevil

I’ve developed embedded systems using ARM. ARM doesn’t manufacture chips. Their revenue comes entirely from IP licensing. They have the best processor-architectures. There’s literally NO competition. 

When they lost Android I thought: “It’s going to be very hard to develop an operating system like Android, but it’s not impossible” 

But now I’ve truly lost hope for Huawei :rip:

Edited by Daredevil
  • Like 2

Earthling

it's disgusting what is happening to Huawei

all because the US wants military dominance 

is it for the best that the USA cripple China's 5G giant? is  it better for freedom and democracy?  Do we want a world technologically controlled by America? Isn't global interlinking trade better for peace? 

Edited by Earthling
*HRH Duchess of Teavana® Matcha Lemonade 🍵✨
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reginald

:crossed: This makes me so mad.

I'm a Samsung user, but Huawei makes some excellent quality products that are actually at a reasonable price for the consumer

Trump coming in and ruining things for everyone, yet again

Dedicated
  • Like 2

iCpro
2 hours ago, Saint Jude said:

pretty sure this has something to do with apple trying to force their monopoly on the rest of the world etc etc

22 minutes ago, Reginald said:

:crossed: This makes me so mad.

I'm a Samsung user, but Huawei makes some excellent quality products that are actually at a reasonable price for the consumer

Trump coming in and ruining things for everyone, yet again

1 hour ago, Earthling said:

is it best for the best that the USA to cripple China's 5G giant? is  it better for freedom and democracy?  Do we want a world technologically controlled by America? Isn't global interlinking trade better for peace? 

This is not just Trump or Apple abusing their power, there has long been security concerns about Huawei being used as a backdoor by the Chinese government. NZ and Australia had already implemented bans before the whole Google thing blew up.

G A G A
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

GhettoFabulous

Cheap knockoff iPhone is officially over! We Stan :diane:

LG6 is NEVER coming

RAMROD

People really think this is solely business move. But it is actually disconcerting how  Chinese govt using their Telecom companies for spying. Cos Huawei is not the first company that went thru this. ZTE were also went through this long ago and have practically dead.

Y'all think communist  government spying is really something to take lightly, when they are not just spying on you, but will also steal your indentity as a whole. :diane:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Your ♥ Garbage ♥ In ♥ Is ♥ Garbage ♥ Out ♥
  • Like 1

Supersonic
2 hours ago, Saint Jude said:

This has nothing to do with Apple, this is Trump deliberately trying to f*ck with the Chinese economy because of racism. :rip: He's establishing the politics of "if you're not for me, you're against me" and people see how easy it has become to cripple a business with just a finger snap. Companies (especially those in Europe) are now afraid they might be next if they don't kiss his ass.

Edited by Supersonic
Majestic, the future is electric.
  • Like 1

FATCAT
2 hours ago, Earthling said:

is it for the best that the USA cripple China's 5G giant? is  it better for freedom and democracy?  Do we want a world technologically controlled by America? Isn't global interlinking trade better for peace? 

The Chinese are NOT friends of the west. Their tech could easily be spyed on or even crippled of their own accord. It's better to just use tech for m Western countries, it's not hard to adjust.

█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓ This püssy grabs back. █▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓
  • Like 1

Karl

I work in a phone shop and Huawei are one of our best selling phones right now, the specs they offer for the price is insane. I've got the Mate 20 Pro it's the best phone I've had, I'm so angry about what's happening. America basically dictating who succeeds. They are technically the biggest phone company in the world when sales in Asia are included, bigger than Apple. That's why USA doesnt like them.