💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Madame X: 'A Combustible, Political, Musical Manifesto'

steel

Featured Posts

Evil R

I liked "I Rise" the most. Looking forward to Dark Ballet and Extreme Occident.

9 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

In the Madame X announcement video, what's the song playing in the background?

That's Extreme Occident. Can't wait to hear that one too.

elijahfan
42 minutes ago, steel said:

Yes, they are being bold, but when you think of it, American Life had a terrible response and did badly commercially, but now it's a complete fan favourite and considered a masterpiece of her discography.

And hang in there... I totally get that you might not like the songs released so far, but I think they are saving the best for last. All the songs released are very current to appeal to wider segments of the musical landscape, that's why we are also getting all the features first, but the deeper songs will be the ones not released during the album campaign.

The reason why American Life did poorly in the US was because of the subject matter being too controversial, it still managed to reach #1 and sold 5 million copies worldwide, so the statement that it flopped is definitely to put into perspective, and I don't think anyone can honestly deny the musical qualities of any of its tracks.

As for Madame X, I definitely want to believe as well that they saved the best for later. At least I hope so. I definitely expect a couple gems, but I'm afraid that I'm going to end up skipping most tracks the way I already did with Rebel Heart :shrug:

4 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

The reason why American Life did poorly in the US was because of the subject matter being too controversial, it still managed to reach #1 and sold 5 million copies worldwide, so the statement that it flopped is definitely to put into perspective, and I don't think anyone can honestly deny the musical qualities of any of its tracks.

As for Madame X, I definitely want to believe as well that they saved the best for later. At least I hope so. I definitely expect a couple gems, but I'm afraid that I'm going to end up skipping most tracks the way I already did with Rebel Heart :shrug:

Yes, based on the concept of the album, and its musical diversity, I'm remaining hopeful that the album will be filled with gems that will appeal to lots of different tastes and preferences.

Out of 18 tracks, we have heard 4 -- 3 from the same producer, and one with Mirwais. So there's still a lot to be uncovered! :)

elijahfan
2 minutes ago, steel said:

Yes, based on the concept of the album, and its musical diversity, I'm remaining hopeful that the album will be filled with gems that will appeal to lots of different tastes and preferences.

Out of 18 tracks, we have heard 4 -- 3 from the same producer, and one with Mirwais. So there's still a lot to be uncovered! :)

Right, I'm really looking forward to the other Mirwais productions, as he has produced some of my favorite Madonna records. Also, I thought the deluxe edition had 15 tracks :confused:

7 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

I thought the deluxe edition had 15 tracks :confused:

Yes, the deluxe version has 15, but then the Deluxe physical edition (Disc 2) and the Deluxe box set edition (bonus disc) includes 3 more:

1."Funana" 

2."Back That Up to the Beat" 

3."Ciao Bella

Back that Up seems to have been recovered from the RH recording sessions, as it leaked at the time with all of the rest of RH. 

McYves

I just wanna say that American Life is not THAT political. The video and the tour they're political but actually the other songs are about other things like love, her family, etc. Lets not pretend that the entire album is a political manifesto please.

And I love the new songs, but Im very excited for DARK BALLET. I seriously cant stop singing the snippet.

Just that. Bye.

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch, just drink my ****ing coffee and watch 90's cartoons and hush

elijahfan
8 minutes ago, steel said:

Yes, the deluxe version has 15, but then the Deluxe physical edition (Disc 2) and the Deluxe box set edition (bonus disc) includes 3 more:

1."Funana" 

2."Back That Up to the Beat" 

3."Ciao Bella

Back that Up seems to have been recovered from the RH recording sessions, as it leaked at the time with all of the rest of RH. 

Riiight, I forgot about the physical editions, thanks!

And yeah, I knew that Back That Up kinda rang a bell

14 minutes ago, McYves said:

I just wanna say that American Life is not THAT political. The video and the tour they're political but actually the other songs are about other things like love, her family, etc. Lets not pretend that the entire album is a political manifesto please.

Yes, I agree with you. I said that in my response to someone after starting the thread. It's lead is political, but the album as a whole is very introspective and personal actually. So totally with you on this. :)

Davian
1 hour ago, steel said:

1. What do you think they mean about the album being political?

2. What about the release strategy? Do you think there's been an intentional  launch of the most commercial songs first to save the most experimental tracks, those with a more philosophical or political nature for when the album is released in order to avoid a backlash similar to the one that followed American Life? So far we have heard 3 of 6 songs produced by Starrah (Crave - single / I Rise - promo single / Future - promo single) and 1 out of 7 produced by Mirwais (Medellin - single).

3. Which unreleased songs are you most excited about, based on the album tracklist and what we know about them?

4. How would you rate the 4 tracks released so far ( Medellin, I Rise, Crave, and Future) from favourite to least favourite, and why? What do you love about them? And what would you like to be different?

1. I don't think it will be political like American Life. I think it will have some self acceptance and empowerment lyrics, like I Rise.:tony:

2. I'm a little bit confused about the release strategy tbh. I like that she is serving us visuals and music while we wait for the album(!), but the singles don't make sense. Why would she make a song like Crave a official music video, and a week later release a promo single and even promote that one at Eurovision:confused:

3. God Control and Extreme Occident sound really interesting! I'm also very excited for Batuka, Fununa and Ciao Bella> I love tropical influenced music so I'm hoping she'll use a cultural tropical sound in those tracks!

Also, I was like: another track that starts with Bitch I'm...?? But I have a feeling Bitch I'm Loca will be a Quilty pleasure lol.

4. I Rise, Medellin, Crave, Future 

I love/like them all, although I'm still not sure about Future. It's growing on me but I really like some parts, as well as I dislike some parts very much.

What you want Lady GagađŸ„‚ What you want with ChristinađŸ„‚

sillynate
2 hours ago, steel said:

1. What do you think they mean about the album being political? 

The song God Control comes to mind. Just with the title alone, I think it can go in a couple different directions.

The first being about gun control and how some mass shootings have happened at places of worship.

Another is how most (if not all) people who are against gun control are conservative. And conservatives love their God. 

When Trump became president, I knew she was gonna make American Life 2.0. If she did it for Bush, she’d do it for Trump.

2 hours ago, steel said:

2. What about the release strategy? Do you think there's been an intentional  launch of the most commercial songs first to save the most experimental tracks, those with a more philosophical or political nature for when the album is released in order to avoid a backlash similar to the one that followed American Life? 

I personally believe her releasing so many songs before the album is released is to poke fun at how it’s done now.

With a lot of her older work (I’m also assuming this was the status quo back then), the lead single was released, then the album came about a month later (Ray of Light, Confessions, Bedtime Stories, Music). 

Compare that to now, how many songs did, say, Ariana Grande release before her albums came out? Dangerous Woman? Sweetener? More than one, that’s for sure. 

She’s witnessed the industry change, many, many times.

2 hours ago, steel said:

3. Which unreleased songs are you most excited about, based on the album tracklist and what we know about them?

I’m most excited for Back That Up and Bitch I’m Loca.

Back That Up because I’ve loved the demo ever since it leaked, and I’m really excited to see how it’s redone production wise, and maybe even lyric changes.

Bitch I’m Loca because I really want it to be a sequel song to Bitch I’m Madonna and feature some kind of sample of it.

3 hours ago, steel said:

4. How would you rate the 4 tracks released so far ( Medellin, I Rise, Crave, and Future) from favourite to least favourite, and why? What do you love about them? And what would you like to be different?

I love them all equally!! I wouldn’t change a thing about them.

Medellín was an instant hook for me. Loved it on first listen. I Rise and Crave took some time, but they’re there now. Future was also an instant hook :)

I love that they are each different genres. I love when artists make albums with different genre or genre influences within the music because it opens my mind to these new sounds. Very inspiring for me as I make music myself :heart:

bionic
9 hours ago, steel said:

No, I Rise is very tame in comparison for example with American Life (the song). But if you look into American Life the album, it's not really that political as a whole. It's a very philosophical, personal and introspective album, at least to me.

I suppose beyond the title track you're absolutely right

buy bionic

insight

I think she released the more accessible and GP relatable tracks to avoid any political polarization. She learned her lesson from the AL backlash. I think that the more political tracks on the new album are yet to be revealed.

Archived