'DWAS' MUSIC VIDEO OUT NOW
opinion

Best and worst MET Gala looks

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

Best dressed: Bella Hadid, Janelle Monae, Awkwafina, Hailey Baldwin, Lady Gaga, Anna Wintour

Worse dressed: Lena Dunham, Lupita N'yongo, Zendaya, Celine Dion, Katy Perry, Cardi B

doppelganger
2 hours ago, ImMatt said:

I was a bit disappointed by these two. Liam couldn't be bothered and is this really the best Miley could do?? Miley-Cyrus-Liam-Hemsworth-Met-Gala-2019

Miley’s dress looks like a candy wrapper. The styling is not good though. She could have really hammed this up

JazzGa

Surprised to see Lena Dunham and co. managed to squeak by and avoid your blacklist. I personally hated their looks the most. Not only were they horrible on their bodies, the shoes looked awkward and too big, and I hate that they wore big ass signs for obscure kinks that these ladies do NOT have, like a big joke.  Just disrespectful to queer people imo. The  baguette gemstone wristlets were cute tho. 

Apparently they were going for "filth camp" like John Waters/Divine but it just seems like a mockery of people's sexuality to me. 

rs_1024x759-190507054324-1024-Jemima-Kir

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

ChromaticaPunk

Best dressed man: Darren Criss

Best dressed Lady: Gaga

People who turn up in just a suit shouldn't be accepted in.

StrawberryBlond

I didn't notice some of these outfits some of you posted about. I didn't see this Jordan Roth at all, I would've put him on the best dressed men if I had. And honestly, there were so many men in plain suits that it was hard to narrow it down to worst. There's like, 20 men that could've held the joint 5th worst spot, so I just went for the one that wasn't colour coordinated with his date as that was the only way to make a distinct choice!

16 hours ago, neptugne said:

your worst-dressed #1 is homophobic, the olsen twins are unable to do wrong, but I agree w basically the rest of your choices! 

How are they unable to do wrong? They've been wearing the same stuff (plain black lacy long dresses) with their hair in the same style for years. Why turn up to a fashion event if you don't show a love for all different types of fashion?

16 hours ago, elijahfan said:

How Zendaya is making it on any top 10 list is a mystery to me, that dress was absolutely atrocious, and I wouldn't even want that as a Halloween costume. Not to mention that same effect was achieved beautifully on Claire Danes a few years ago. That was a rough night for Hilfiger generally speaking.

I agree, Claire did it better and on any other themed night, I wouldn't have liked it as much, but it was all about camp, so I operated under a different criteria to what I'd normally have.

16 hours ago, Adarsh said:

Emily was paying homage to Cher. Her outfit was very much on theme and if you have a hot body, show it off :ohwell:

I doubt she did it because she loved Cher, though. She posed completely naked on Instagram while she was getting ready with her hair and a sheet covering her. Stripping is her only talent, being an underwear model is her job, after all. Literally all she does is sexy photoshoots, she doesn't have anything to say. Total narcissists like that just bug me, they've got no business being famous. Just because you have a good body doesn't mean you need to show it off. No one's asking to see it, no one needs to feel honoured to see it. At least, if you're going to do something raunchy like Gaga did, do it with story and a character but Emily's always just stands there and is like "I'm naked, don't you love it?" nothing more, nothing less. Worse, she claims she does this stuff as a feminist statement. She sets feminism back by making nudity her only talent, the only thing she's famous for and the way she defines herself.

13 hours ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

Surprised to see Lena Dunham and co. managed to squeak by and avoid your blacklist. I personally hated their looks the most. Not only were they horrible on their bodies, the shoes looked awkward and too big, and I hate that they wore big ass signs for obscure kinks that these ladies do NOT have, like a big joke.  Just disrespectful to queer people imo. The  baguette gemstone wristlets were cute tho. 

Apparently they were going for "filth camp" like John Waters/Divine but it just seems like a mockery of people's sexuality to me. 

rs_1024x759-190507054324-1024-Jemima-Kir

While I didn't actually like the outfits in and of themselves, there was no getting away with the fact that it was camp. I'm applauding anyone who actually stays on theme at this point. Filth camp is a good way to describe it, the kind that makes you feel a bit weird and dirty. That's the whole point. I don't see what fetishes have to do with being queer, though. Fetishes involve inanimate objects, so what's it got to do with human-to-human sexuality and disrespectful to it?

13 hours ago, HeavyMetalLover said:

People who turn up in just a suit shouldn't be accepted in.

Agreed. I think for future galas, anyone who isn't on theme shouldn't be allowed in. It defeats the whole purpose of themes if anything goes. The only problem is, who's on theme and who isn't would be very subjective, particularly when it comes to something as indefinable and kooky as "camp." And then it might be a case of "they're on theme but not on theme enough." And some people not on theme may be allowed in because of who they are more than anything. It might raise some controversy if there was a door policy in that sense and the fashion world doesn't need any more accusations of being judgemental, shallow and cliquey. You could also argue that there doesn't need to be a theme at all, just tell people to dress to impress and then everyone's happy. But then, I say a theme keeps things interesting and the exhibition that the gala is supporting is themed, so it makes sense.

Kattys

One of best - Dua Lipa

Dua-Lipa-In-Atelier-Versace-2019-Met-Gal

This dress and leggins are to die for! Amazing Versace, I still can't get over it and I'm not even that much on the fashion...Love!

Archived