Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Me! Makes me sad as a Fan

Ryusei

Featured Posts

Ryusei

Let me preface this with: I actually like the song.... as long as I don't think of the rest of her discography. I can appreciate it for what it is.  It is light and fun. 

However: This is a singer who has always been praised for her songwriting, who has always had amazing songwriting, who prided herself on songwriting. 
Someone who in every song had those lines that made me go: aaaaahhh that's so smart. Or a line that made me go: wow that's so powerful or emotional and detailed. 
This song has none of that... and it makes me really sad to think that this is the same person who wrote those other 6 albums. 

Another thing is: why that bridge?  I can look over it but the sentence "Hey kids! Spelling is fun!" is literally something you would hear in Dora or something.. 
This woman just had her first "sh*t" on her last album... Her debut album songs were more mature than this. Even her few "you stole my boyfriend you bitch" songs, which I love.  I thought this new aesthetic would be in the vein of being light-hearted  and not so dark anymore like rep but not  like disney princess Swift.  

And it makes me sad to see her get panned even by her own fans. A lot of fans are even hoping it's just a buzz single and it'll be ignored "Focus" style. Nobody minded her going pop because obviously 1989 was amazing and IMO at least rep was great too but I can't feel any Taylor in this one. 

She has always had those mature songs on her albums with intense emotions and I know this is just the first single but I feel like while she is very in touch with her fans she has also lost touch with us at the same time. Like yes she knows our memes, what we talk about and everything but I feel like she doesn't know that most of us would rather have mature songs.. I mean her most praised songs are always the more mature ones. And while Shake it off also had a critical reaction at first, it stuck and it had those self-referencing lines without being overly cringy or anything. She did it right back then. And same thing with Blank Space, she could reference herself without it being cringey or immature, cause it was a parody of what the media saw her as.  

And lastly her sound always evolved a little bit with each album, it changed a little bit like being familiar without being the same but this literally sounds like it could be off a light version of rep sound-wise. The beginning is SO "Delicate" and "Getaway Car" like girl you have literally said yourself you never wanna do the same thing twice, you wanted your fans to like your music for what it is and then you wanted them to like the next one for different reasons. This makes me scared that the whole album will sound way too similar to the last one. 

The music video is fine, the special effects are very well done and everything but again memes have their place... we love your cats and you're their mom we say it all the time but you really don't need to bring them into EVERYTHING now. Carly's "Now that I found you" video literally has tons of cats in it without seeming out of place, cringey or too childish but for some reason I'm just kind of over her putting them in everything. Keep it to your instagram please. 

I may be overly dramatic and stuff writing basically an essay about what I'm feeling about being a Taylor Swift fan but whatever I had to get this off my chest and hope she hasn't lost those songwriting chops and wins me over with the rest of the album. 

Musery

Othon

Totally agree. I love her work any time it's even remotely similar to what she did with Speak Now. Hopefully this marketing tactic is only a temporary diversion and the rest of the album is more in line with what she's meant to do.

holy scheisse

I feel you. This song is so geared towards a juvenile demographic, it feels. The dark angst of Reputation might have been a phase but it felt richer and more mature than anything she'd done yet. And this steps it back. To be fair I hated shake it off and felt it was corny much like this song, but the rest of the album redeemed it so hard -- so I still have hope. Also when applause debuted I felt like it was such a misstep in terms of growth, but now i love it. Maybe the song will grow on us or maybe we'll enjoy the album aside from me!

RAMROD

IMHO it just continuation of fun song like Shake It Off, it not to be taken seriously but to dance to :shrug:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Galagala

Why you all view Shake It Off as a bad song?:oprah:

At least it's far better than Me! and many other her works.

edengowon

I really love Me! because I think the chorus and verses are really catchy and the hook is really pretty

If she cut out the bridge, the song would be perfect in my opinion

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Guest Adarsh

It’s just a fun song. Y’all love Ariana for her lazy ass lyrics and mediocre videos but when someone else does it the pitchforks come out. I don’t even like Taylor that much but it’s a cute song and the video is breathtaking. 

monketsharona

I actually like the song for what it is tbh. I get your point but hey sometimes it's not that bad to just listen to light toned songs without any deep meaning. 

Not everything has to be that complicated and deep. It's just a fun song and it really works great as it. 

Mylene

Y’all are so dramatic everyone know that Taylor lead single are always wack u have to wait till the second 

holy scheisse
9 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

It’s just a fun song. Y’all love Ariana for her lazy ass lyrics and mediocre videos but when someone else does it the pitchforks come out. I don’t even like Taylor that much but it’s a cute song and the video is breathtaking. 

Nothing Ariana has put out in the past several years has been anything like me! the comparison doesn't make sense!  :trollga:

Guest Adarsh
1 minute ago, holy scheisse said:

Nothing Ariana has put out in the past several years has been anything like me! the comparison doesn't make sense!  :trollga:

Not everything has to be literal :huntyga:

Drin Lon

It’s not good per say but neither was LYMMD so at this point I’m just hoping the album is better (just like rep was compared to its lead).

holy scheisse
Just now, Adarsh said:

Not everything has to be literal :huntyga:

I literally have no idea what you're implying :flower:

Archived