💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga vocally declining?

fathermonster

Featured Posts

On 4/24/2019 at 3:05 AM, BenG said:

Joanne era was the peak of her vocals. Grammys 2018, Grammys 2019 and Oscars 2019 all didn't have great vocals. Her performances for the big award shows were always excellent before that.

ASIB had A LOT of pitch correction.

all her official performances since the cure at the amas in 2017 are vocally disappoiting compared to older ones, like the metalica duet where she hits some pretty high notes.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Emigrante said:

I think she gets better and better but I miss times where she sings careless like in born this way era. I think her voice was more light-hearted if you know what I mean and now she often seems like she's struggling a little bit. For example comparison of the lady is a trump where she sings easily to other cheek to cheek songs.

yeah, she even lowed the key for the lady is a tramp, cheek to cheek and anything goes in the second jazz & piano show

derpmonster
On 4/23/2019 at 10:07 AM, lgaga1fan said:

Also all of the people citing the ASIB OST seem to be forgetting that the majority of it was recorded before the JWT, where she began to vocally decline.

The Joanne World Tour was f*cking ethereal, what are you smoking gurl :air:

She belted a G in Applause. She was using her head voice like she never used to. Her voice was STRONG.

Not shouty. Even Diamond Heart sounded so smooth and slick on the JWT as opposed to the album. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

lgaga1fan
1 hour ago, derpmonster said:

The Joanne World Tour was f*cking ethereal, what are you smoking gurl :air:

She belted a G in Applause. She was using her head voice like she never used to. Her voice was STRONG.

Not shouty. Even Diamond Heart sounded so smooth and slick on the JWT as opposed to the album. 

Girl she literally had to lower the key of Diamond Heart and Perfect Illusion at some dates cause she couldn't sing them, and had to cut a lot of the songs in half like Just Dance and Bloody Mary throughout the tour dgosahigdhoig. She was fine at the beginning and then it went downhill after she got sick @ City Field.

Ziggy
On 4/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, JohnnyVersace said:

Her body and physicality has declined, as she's discussed (fibro). But she's still pushing it to the limit with flips and aerials and choreo. Judging by Enigma, there are definitely moments where she's huffing and puffing her way through it, and I almost feel she should tone down the choreo and focus on the vocals. 

So no, I don't think that it's her vocals that are declining. I think it's that she's aging, and still trying to keep up with the moves she was doing in her 20's. 

^^this. Fibromyalgia gets worse over time, and I think it's more that she's in a period where she's learning her limits where she's used to going 100. Her vocality is understandably going to suffer. She should really take a cue from Missy Elliott on how to handle a debilitating disease while being a performer. I'm also wondering how much she's seeing her coach because the last time these questions came up was when she was wasn't seeing him very much, then she spent a few months and BAM huge change.

Another thing is singing theatrically and more specified training. I mean, if she's getting pop vocal lessons, is that super helpful to her? She doesn't really sing very "pop" anymore and has more or less doubled down on musical theater-type singing even in her jazz material. The technique required is different and that could also be a part of it, though people act like Gaga has not always strained to hit certain notes. She's done that since Day 1 lolol 

Born Brave

I don't think her voice is declining at all, I think she's learning to control her tone and getting a little more airy while still producing quality notes across a broad range. 

Best example- Million Reasons vs Always Remember Us This Way / IWNLA

Million Reasons has a very forward (that nasally yehhhhh tone) pure delivery. TIHTY is the same way. It's the way classical trainers teach you to sing and the goal is ultimate projection and tone. 

The other two songs I mentioned she's being more "pop" and is using a light more air than voice. It's breathey. 

What separates artists like Gaga, Adele, and Beyonce from other vocalists are the ability to do both. Florence Welch is also a good example of this. 

Her voice isn't declining. She's just using different technique for certain circumstances. 

Age really won't be a factor for her unless she continues to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol and so forth. There are many artists, like Dolly Parton, Reba, Celine Dion, and even Cher who sound the same as they did 30 years ago. Older artists that have declined vocally can likely be explained by years of substance use and not caring for their voice. 

Bob Seger, had throat cancer and had to take a hiatus from music. He had surgery and his voice recovered and he sounds great. 

TheBatman

Her voice has gone through some changes, and at parts of JWT yea it was strained and she had to lower the key in some songs, but at her age I don't think she's really done any lasting damage to it, with rest and taking good care of it and using proper technique she can still have her "best" vocals in the future! What I'd love to hear is more nuance and subtlety in her delivery, even if her voice did "decline" in the future and her range become more limited, it's the emotion and drama in her voice that I live for. 

Born Brave
4 minutes ago, TheBatman said:

Her voice has gone through some changes, and at parts of JWT yea it was strained and she had to lower the key in some songs, but at her age I don't think she's really done any lasting damage to it, with rest and taking good care of it and using proper technique she can still have her "best" vocals in the future! What I'd love to hear is more nuance and subtlety in her delivery, even if her voice did "decline" in the future and her range become more limited, it's the emotion and drama in her voice that I live for. 

A lot of artists lower the key on vocally taxing songs for vocal maintenance  and longevity so they are able to keep going on limited vocal rest. 

derpmonster
On 4/25/2019 at 4:14 AM, lgaga1fan said:

Girl she literally had to lower the key of Diamond Heart and Perfect Illusion at some dates cause she couldn't sing them, and had to cut a lot of the songs in half like Just Dance and Bloody Mary throughout the tour dgosahigdhoig. She was fine at the beginning and then it went downhill after she got sick @ City Field.

:toofunny:

She literally got a cold and cancelled just one date. It was temporary.

Alejandro at Citi was flawless. The runs and the last chorus belted an octave up. Not too strained and she could sing it easily. Less strain than you hear on some studio recordings of Joanne. And it went on to the European leg too. 

In addition, I'd like to remind you, she recorded Joanne WDYTYG during JWT. 

Also that Applause performance I was talking about is literally from Citi. 

She not only uses her very high head voice (around A/B range) but also BELTS a G in her mixed voice :toofunny: imagine having that much slayage :toofunny:

And Applause at Enigma isn't as good but it's still great. She still uses her head voice in the bridge. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Linus Gaga
On 4/24/2019 at 4:37 AM, millerkrause said:

..  When you compare "Speechless" to "Brown Eyes", you'll see that Gaga's voice is more similar in tone to what it was 10 years ago, than what it was 12 years ago. 

You did a very nice explanation but i have to disagree speechless and brown eyes is in a similar tone:ally:  brown eyes is way more young and  soft, while speechless is rich and raw

Hit me a message and say hi !

candiedroses
7 hours ago, Linus Gaga said:

You did a very nice explanation but i have to disagree speechless and brown eyes is in a similar tone:ally:  brown eyes is way more young and  soft, while speechless is rich and raw

Thank you. :)  But if one is "young and soft", and the other is "rich and raw" those would be two different tones, right? 

candiedroses
On 4/23/2019 at 5:58 PM, lgaga1fan said:

Notice how she's heavily struggling to do that exact same run nowadays

I don't really see a struggle.  She's using a headset mic & doing more choreography, but I hear no strain in her voice, other than breathing heavily.

Archived