Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Beyoncé being homophobic in 2003

Monsterious

Featured Posts

KingRedd

My problem is this... if someone doesn’t want to engage in anything with the same sex that’s homophobic? It’s gettig to be too much and a joke now. 

Just like Kevin Hart and many others we need to stop digging for stuff years ago it’s sad, desperate, and quite frankly ignorant. Something children would do, not grown adults looking to feel like a Social Justice Warrior. This whole time period needs to die out and quickly. 

May I Read You? 😎

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
freakumdress

I've thought about doing a megarate with a beyonce album but it kinda feels like this whole website hates her :selena:

Princess Stache

I'm not a huge fan of Bey as a whole.  Yes these comments are very homophobic, but come on.  This was 16 years ago and she was from Texas.  I don't like these comments at all, but she's definitely changed her views since then, so can't we recognize the good she's done for the LGBT+ community since then?  She's grown, she was 22, this was the beginning of her career, and probably didn't know many LGBT people or their experiences back then.

StrawberryBlond

A bit too much is being read into that quote. I don't think she ever actually said anything about not kissing girls due to her religion. I think she was perhaps insinuating that the MTV kiss was done purely for ratings, for the three involved to be talked about the next day and to create an iconic MTV moment (and an iconic moment in music history in general). Even if it was a negative reaction, it made history. Beyonce isn't someone who chases notoriety so I think she was subtley suggesting that this outlook was a bad one to have, as opposed to girls kissing girls. I'm sure most members of the LGBT community would agree that they do not like it when same-sex kissing is framed as scandalous and something done purely for attention.

Even as someone who's not keen on Beyonce, to put it mildly, I'm ready to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

McYves

How is that homophobic? If she doesn't want to kiss girls then she's homophobic? I swear this world is just :saladga:

I don't like her music that much (I do have the "B'Day" album and I play it very often), but now I respect her a lil more because she's not afraid of having unpopular opinions instead of just pretending to be gay or bi or whatever :ohwell: for no other reason than being loved by the LGBTQ.

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch, just drink my ****ing coffee and watch 90's cartoons and hush

KleinGa
1 hour ago, GypsyBabe said:

I know someone who did security for her and told me the tea too :sis:

And you never spilled it to us?

electric and I cannot stress this enough, CHAIR

GypsyBabe
25 minutes ago, KleinGa said:

And you never spilled it to us?

electric and I cannot stress this enough, CHAIR

I’ve told you!! Electric CHAIR to you for never listening to me. :triggered:

⚯͛

Miracle

We all know Beyoncé is this kind of woman behind all the fake wokeness. 

Just not from this particular sixteen years old quote, but her entire character

Times have changed, and so has she. I’m not a fan, like at all, but it’s pretty obvious she’s changed her ways and is more accepting.

JohnWayne92

Like everyone has said, she has grown. Also, she was still very much under her father's and records control back then. Destiny's Child was too big of a deal for any mishaps. Her opinion might not have been the opinion she was allowed to give. 

To add to this, back in 2003, it was still somewhat taboo to be gay. It was very much a "don't ask, dont tell," situation. Which is why it was so controversial back then when Britney/Madonna/Christina did that kiss. #GetThemRatings.

Also, like people have said already, people grow and change. My gay ass back then was trying to NOT be gay as I stepped into my teen years. (Didnt work out, obviously.) 

Also, the report didnt really have anything crazy homophobic in it? She said her religion kept her from doing those things? Isn't that her prerogative? Had she said that it was disgusting, they were going to hell and that she hates the LGBT+ community, then I'd get it. I dont think she turned a negative light on it, per say, as much as she just said it wasnt her thing? 

However, she then says that she didnt say anything of the sort. Has her actions ever said otherwise about this opinion? I mean, I remember tabloids back then and magazines talking about Michael Jackson being an alien and stupid stuff like that. 

latina twilight

Celebrities, and people in general, were not called out as hard for this kind of comments 16 years ago. I'm pretty sure she was unaware of how harmful those comments could've been due to the general lack of sensibility and understanding towards the LGBT+ community back then.

Those comments and that way of thinking are definitely not okay, but that's not who she is today anymore. I think it's silly to criticize her for this, just because it's silly to gauge something from almost two decades ago with moral standards of today.

See, I'm not a huge fan of hers, but she is good, and as much as I'm conflicted with her recieving the GLAAD, she definitely is an icon and an ally.

Anyways, brb, gonna listen to Lemonade 'cuz I have Daddy Issues stuck in my head :music:.

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

LaLuna

tumblr_nl4yez1VHb1r3jqyco2_400.gif

So she doesn't want to kiss girls. Big deal. Not being attracted to the same sex does not make you homophobic.

Plus this was 16 years ago, who knows, she might have changed her mind since.

She's still problematic though :ally:

adamsenigma

She's just saying God won't let her do that, because she's a Christian, but she's NOT  being homophobic at all, it's just her religion + She has always been supportive with the LGBTQ community and she believes in equality. Stop trying to put her down. She doesn't deserve it. 

15 hours ago, Alii said:

Beyonce is religious? :interestinga:

bible floating on the flooded room in the beggining of lemonade: - am i a joke for you?:triggered:

ice heard one side from above

Reginald

Cancel  Culture is so tired  :messga:

There are way more important scandals that need exposure than what celebrities said years ago 

Archived