💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Who will take the Vanguard Award?

LateToCult

POLL: Who will take home the Vanguard Award?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will take home the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award?

• Lady Gaga
    • Drake
    • Taylor Swift
    • Missy Elliot
    • Ariana Grande
    • Katy Perry

Featured Posts

LateToCult

So we have some six months until the 2019 VMAs and I’m sure the folks over at MTV have already started losing sleep over who they’ll ask to accept the Vanguard award and if they’ll agree :flower:. I think there are six people with a real possibility of being asked this year.

Lady Gaga: She’s obviously just had one of the biggest years in her career. For the past two ceremonies fans on twitter have hounded MTV for not choosing her and even Jennifer Lopez said she would like to see Gaga take the award eventually. Perhaps the biggest thing working in Gaga’s favor is the ratings of the Grammys and Oscars. There were articles that claimed a direct correlation between Gaga and the Oscars boost in viewers this year. MTV is in dire need of a boost in their viewership and I’m sure those headlines caught their eyes. I think she’ll be asked, but I’m not sure she’ll accept.

Drake: He just had two astronomical eras in recent years with Views and Scorpion. His streaming power is incredible and he’s enough of a controversial artist that MTV might see him as a way to attract a lot of attention for the VMAs. His audience is also exactly the type of group MTV wants to cater to. I can personally see Drake and his team pursuing MTV for the award.

Taylor Swift: There are rumors flying around like crazy that her new album is coming a lot sooner than we originally thought. If Taylor wished it, I’m sure she could easily convince MTV to give her the award so she could use it as a platform to promote her new era. She’s set the bar high for herself with the success of reputation and its tour, so I’m sure she’s looking to get creative with the rollout of the new album and the VMAs stage might be tempting enough for her.

Missy Elliot: The safest option, in my opinion. She’s long overdue for some recognition for all she’s contributed to music and rap culture. Her name, along with Gaga’s, has been brought up by fans these past few years when MTV starts promoting the show. MTV might be looking to make up for the major double take people made last year when Jennifer Lopez was announced as the recipient. Missy is by far the best way of giving the award a little more prestige.

Ariana Grande: MTV could also be looking to shake things up by asking a relatively newer artist to take the award this year. Ariana is the current “it girl” and another streaming powerhouse. She has a massive social media following and they might hope this translates into higher ratings for the show. Ariana also has a big chance of taking home the video of the year award for “Thank U, Next” or “7Rings” so they might want to make it a huge night for her and have her be the center of it all.

Katy Perry: Although she’s in a career slump right now there’s no denying her impressive videography. If not for the visuals then at least for the crazy amount of views she’s accumulated over the years. She hosted in the past so there must be a solid relationship between her and MTV. I think it’s something her label might even pursue to break her out of this rut she’s in.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UnnamedArtist

Gaga deserved it, but at the same time, I don't want her to somehow contact with this terrible award show again.

Mirages

This award list its relevancy when JLO, Pink, Rihanna and Justin Timberlake took it before Gaga with their basic videos so.... Until the VMAs redeem themselves I don't care who gets it as long as it's not Gaga. 

I'm the bitch that's fragile

Varys
1 minute ago, Mirages said:

This award list its relevancy when JLO, Pink, Rihanna and Justin Timberlake took it before Gaga with their basic videos so.... Until the VMAs redeem themselves I don't care who gets it as long as it's not Gaga. 

How does p!nk have basic videos? :oprah:

Banned 04/19/2020 - 04/19/2020

Yxcvbnm

Gaga should after her next album. This era was beautiful, even shallow went nr 1, I think this is a good ending. Now lets focus on LG6, and release a mv a good one. 

Galagala

What's special or impactful about videos of JLo and P!nk?

And they ignored LWYMMD by TS last year...:trollga:

I hope it isn't Gaga this year. I want her to get it in a year where she releases an album along with strong mvs for all the singles (2). I know it is an award that rewards your cumulative contributions to music video culture in music BUT I just feel like it would be weird rewarding her this award in a period where her video game aint it. That's why hopefully she gets the vanguard when she releases LG6 and slays us visually! 2020 Vanguards hopefully! 

Chickens in Malibu

Probably Gaga to help with the ratings

She'll definitely get three nods at least: Artist Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best Collaboration

• Admin changed the title to Who will take the Vanguard Award?
malazam
19 minutes ago, Galagala said:

What's special or impactful about videos of JLo and P!nk?

And they ignored LWYMMD by TS last year...:trollga:

LWYMMD best video of 2017 and that’s that

another shot before we kiss the other side

BrickMonster

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the Vanguard Award typically go to an artist with an upcoming project (i.e. new album, new LV residency, etc.)?

boyerased
4 minutes ago, BrickMonster said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the Vanguard Award typically go to an artist with an upcoming project (i.e. new album, new LV residency, etc.)?

It does. Strategic marketing strategy. If she has an upcoming project she'll get it no question. 

Angelm

They better give it to Gaga this year, last year was a disaster. If not Gaga, then Missy. But I don’t really care about a MTV award anymore :laughga:

JR Gg

Lol Gaga doesn't care about the award. She has reportedly rejected it for three years straight or more :selena:

Archived