Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Billboard Says Katy Perry's Career Is In Danger

Economy

Featured Posts

Jakkusan
4 hours ago, holy scheisse said:

Inb4 all the comparisons to ARTPOP but news flash bunches that was 5 years ago, Katy and Gaga have been in the game the same amount of time and Katherine's got nothing substantial to fall back on. (i.e. talent... Tbh :/ )

Very true. Shady but true.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RichAssPiss

The difference between Katy and Gaga is that Gaga always had respect as a musician and visual artist to stand on. Without hits, Katy is powerless. When ARTPOP underperformed, Gaga deepened her legacy by diversifying her career with American Horror Story, Cheek to Cheek, and The Sound of Music tribute at the Oscars. Besides American Idol, I just don't see a lane for Katy outside top 40 pop music. 

FATCAT
4 minutes ago, RichAssPiss said:

Besides American Idol, I just don't see a lane for Katy outside top 40 pop music. 

And being a judge on American Idol has never been, and never will be, a career boost.

Purr more, hiss less.

NinaBoninaBrown
7 minutes ago, RichAssPiss said:

The difference between Katy and Gaga is that Gaga always had respect as a musician and visual artist to stand on. Without hits, Katy is powerless. When ARTPOP underperformed, Gaga deepened her legacy by diversifying her career with American Horror Story, Cheek to Cheek, and The Sound of Music tribute at the Oscars. Besides American Idol, I just don't see a lane for Katy outside top 40 pop music. 

Watch Katy trying to follow Gaga footsteps, she will release Forehead to Forehead later this year

ryhanna

There's no real point where she's 'done for.' 

Look at Gaga. A few years ago when ARTPOP didn't take off, everyone was saying her career is in danger and she's over. Gaga went in some new directions, changed up her game, and she's around and better than ever right now.

Katy's strength has always been in her fun styling and catchy music. All she really has to do is come up with some catchy bops, come up with some fun, vibrant, kooky Katy themes and she'll definitely thrive. 

AJRocketMan
5 hours ago, holy scheisse said:

Inb4 all the comparisons to ARTPOP but news flash bunches that was 5 years ago, Katy and Gaga have been in the game the same amount of time and Katherine's got nothing substantial to fall back on. (i.e. talent... Tbh :/ )

Katy does have talent. What she really needs is practice and refinement. Gaga takes voice lessons (sometimes...) and practices instruments and writes songs. As far as I know, Katy doesn’t take voice lessons and doesn’t practice writing songs and playing instruments (likely playing her guitar by familiarity). Gaga and Katy both have talents, but the difference is that Gaga has mastered her craft, while Katy didn’t care to.

FinnishGypsy
3 hours ago, Possibly Maybe said:

. I admit it does seem very off for her to not have success.

Is it really though? She’s definitely had a ton of hits (especially during TD era), but the last few singles prior to "365" didn’t do well either.

During the Witness era, only CTTR was a success (and very deservedly so). But the rest all flopped (and, again, deservedly so). "Bon Appetit" peaked at #59 on the BBH100, and then "Swish Swish" peaked at #46, despite both having very expensive and heavily promoted music videos, along with big collaborating artists. Next, she released “Save as Draft,” which failed to chart altogether. Then she released “Hey Hey Hey,” which, again, didn’t chart at all. Most recently, she dropped an Xmas track that peaked at #53.

So, “365”’s position is actually pretty consistent with her chart performance over the last several years. 

GagaMyBlood95

It is very true.. I don't have anything against Katy, but I really hope she puts her career back on track in the right way!

Feels like ever since Witness she is kinda lost and is trying to put it back together, but it's jut not working for some reason

1 hour ago, NinaBoninaBrown said:

Watch Katy trying to follow Gaga footsteps, she will release Forehead to Forehead later this year

Can’t breathe

StrawberryBlond

Normally, I'd say they were overthinking this because popstars are made to be knocked down and rise from the ashes but I honestly don't think Katy's capable of that. Her fun pop tunes aren't working anymore, so what other options does she have? Her ballads are not typically successful. The One That Got Away and Wide Awake (Firework is more of an uptempo ballad) are her only successful ones because they were part of a highly successful era, so the public went along with it. And its worth noting that those ballads were released late in the game, when her success was well-established, as opposed to being lead or sophomore singles. Thinking Of You flopped, Unconditionally flopped and we didn't even get a ballad from Witness, likely because her team knew if her pop stuff wasn't hitting, a ballad sure wasn't going to. So, I don't think a stripped back, acoustic guitar playing natural looking Katy Hudson type album is going to work. Katy doesn't have a great voice, she's never properly trained it and still sounds pretty shocking most of the time all these years later, so she doesn't have the range or respect as a muscian to put out a jazz album with a legend like Gaga did. She can't even dance. And even her comedy acting is rather hokey, so I don't see her getting heavily involved with film or being an Oscar favourite is in her future either.

Fact is that there are lots of artists whose career went this way - blew up then faded out. It doesn't mean you have no talent and weren't good enough, it's just that the public are fickle. Overly appealing to the young is also a big hurdle that many artists never scale when they get older. If the majority of your audience is kids and teens, they may be super loyal at first but once they think an artist is uncool or "over," they're done in their eyes and they just stop supporting whereas adult fans won't care and never waver support. Katy has never transitioned into a full-on adult audience, she's kept things too young to do that. So now that her young fans are growing up and moving on, there's no older fans to fall back on. And most adults think Katy Perry's for kids, so they won't give her a chance as a mature artist. She'll keep making royalties and still be able to live the celebrity life but her career as a chart topping popstar is no more.

Reginald
22 hours ago, FATCAT said:

I'm sure if she comes back with more hit-worthy songs she'll be fine. She's just had some bumps in the road.

Off topic but everytime I see you on here, I think of Garfield, by CupcakKe lololol 

LadyxGaGa
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Normally, I'd say they were overthinking this because popstars are made to be knocked down and rise from the ashes but I honestly don't think Katy's capable of that. Her fun pop tunes aren't working anymore, so what other options does she have? Her ballads are not typically successful. The One That Got Away and Wide Awake (Firework is more of an uptempo ballad) are her only successful ones because they were part of a highly successful era, so the public went along with it. And its worth noting that those ballads were released late in the game, when her success was well-established, as opposed to being lead or sophomore singles. Thinking Of You flopped, Unconditionally flopped and we didn't even get a ballad from Witness, likely because her team knew if her pop stuff wasn't hitting, a ballad sure wasn't going to. So, I don't think a stripped back, acoustic guitar playing natural looking Katy Hudson type album is going to work. Katy doesn't have a great voice, she's never properly trained it and still sounds pretty shocking most of the time all these years later, so she doesn't have the range or respect as a muscian to put out a jazz album with a legend like Gaga did. She can't even dance. And even her comedy acting is rather hokey, so I don't see her getting heavily involved with film or being an Oscar favourite is in her future either.

Fact is that there are lots of artists whose career went this way - blew up then faded out. It doesn't mean you have no talent and weren't good enough, it's just that the public are fickle. Overly appealing to the young is also a big hurdle that many artists never scale when they get older. If the majority of your audience is kids and teens, they may be super loyal at first but once they think an artist is uncool or "over," they're done in their eyes and they just stop supporting whereas adult fans won't care and never waver support. Katy has never transitioned into a full-on adult audience, she's kept things too young to do that. So now that her young fans are growing up and moving on, there's no older fans to fall back on. And most adults think Katy Perry's for kids, so they won't give her a chance as a mature artist. She'll keep making royalties and still be able to live the celebrity life but her career as a chart topping popstar is no more.

yeah but I feel like Katy Perry is going to pull a Mariah Carey. Carey was in the same situation and same boat as Katy, but Mariah doesn’t have the legacy or vocal power as Perry and she was able to make kind of a comeback with The Emancipation of Mimi, hell even We Belong Together was somewhat of a hit and got her back in the spotlight. So I think Katy will come back 

Economy
9 hours ago, FATCAT said:

And being a judge on American Idol has never been, and never will be, a career boost.

It was for JLo

Archived