Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Hot 100: Ariana Grande is #1, #2 AND #3!

Stef

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Evolve said:

Pop is not a genre. Pop literally means what's popular :rip: LOL

so why was drake album not nominated in pop? 

also by your logic, bon appetit is not pop because it flopped.

popis both a genre and a marketing posture (which can include different sounds and songs that borrow soemtimes heavily from other genres). i still think pop can be seen a genre and i think that Ariana 's success right now is because she borrows heavily from trap and hip hop. 

good for her though

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Donna Noble

I saw it coming, it was even hinted in her name all this time:

Am

Really

Iuccessful 

At Billboard Hot 100

N

A

Government Hooker-eh

StrawberryBlond

Streaming era or not, this is incredible. And actually, it doesn't matter that it is the streaming era because that would only apply if it were non-singles getting these positions (not possible back in the day) and these are all singles. As long as her singles continue to reach the top, you really can't use the "it's only possible because of streaming" defence. Now, the question is, can she get any more #1's? In the last few weeks, I've been saying no because no album since Teenage Dream has come close to achieving that amazing feat it did. The closest was Drake's Scorpion, with 3 #1's and 3 top 10's and 1 top 20. I don't know how you could realistically go much higher than that in this day and age. However, Ariana's achieved all this so quickly that she could easily have the chance at least for more because there's still a whole lot of people who haven't heard the album and haven't got bored of it. But whatever happens, her fans must be aware that the next album will not be able to match or better this. The biggest peak always results in a big downfall with the very next album, fact. Here it is:

Michael Jackson - Bad (5 #1's, 1 top 10, 1 top 20)...Dangerous (1 #1, 3 top 10's, 1 top 20, 2 top 40's)

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (6 #1's, 2 top tens including re-release)...Prism (2 #1's, 2 top 20's, 1 top 40)

Rihanna - Loud (3 #1's, 1 top ten, 1 top 40, 1 top 100)...Talk That Talk (1 #1, 1 top 10, 1 top 20, 2 top 40's)

Taylor Swift - 1989 (3 #1's, 2 top 10's, 1 top 20, 1 top 100)...Reputation (1 #1, 1 top 10, 2 top 20's)

Justin Beiber's Purpose and Drake's Scorpion haven't had follow-ups to determine what will happen there but guaranteed they will go down the same route. I'm just saying this to be realistic for all the Ari fans who now think she's untouchable. That's what the fans of all these other ones said. When you're that big, the public want someone else to be that big after you, that's just the way it goes.

2 hours ago, sampool said:

I don’t get her random success after Macs death. So in her comeback era (sweetener), after the infamous terrorist attack, engagement and high budget MVs couldn’t get her to #2, let alone #1. But now suddenly she’s a chart monster? I’m sorry but how does that make sense?

I've been left baffled myself. I suppose you could say the song quality is better but when have good songs automatically equalled #1's? I know, I thought if anything, Sweetener would be her best chance of success because of all the publicity and sympathy she'd had lately, so to see that era underperform was so weird and I didn't see her scraping anything back from that. I don't know how the same fans who didn't fully support her last album, are supporting one released 6 months later to the ultimate degree. The lead single from Sweetener has got 5.4 million likes to date whereas Thank U Next's lead has over 8.7 million and it achieved that in a much shorter timeframe. 7 Rings is also about to overtake Sweetner's lead very soon and the way things are going, Break Up With Your Girlfriend is going that way too. It's about to overtake Sweetner's sophomore single's likes. Where were those same fans 6 months ago? Yeah, you could just say they like this new material better but fans, especially young ones, which make up the bulk of Ariana's fanbase, support everything their fave puts out blindly, they see it as their duty to like their videos, good or not. So I'm equally as stunned. I really ate my words on this one. Sense or not, it'll go down as one of the best pop comebacks in history, maybe even of all time if it keeps getting more hits.

2 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

She looks the same color as Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida to me. Some Italians tan well others burn in the sun. 

But Ariana was never that dark in the past. If you look back on pictures of her when she was a teenager, she was as white as the sun in some instances, no more than one degree above pale most of the time. There is no way someone that pale naturally tans so dark. She's purposefully made herself darker. When she was promoting Side To Side, she was the same colour as Nicki in the video and was even darker than her at the VMAs. She clearly deeply tans herself to give herself that more "ethnic" appearance to appeal to blacks and Hispanics, who are known for being very loyal to their faves. I don't doubt for a minute that swathes of the public still think she's Hispanic because of her surname and she likely benefits from that impression, so the deeper skin tone helps her somewhat.

Morphine Prince

Well deserved. Quality pop music that appeals to the masses in 2019. Smart, lucrative. 

We stan. 

PlasticHo
2 hours ago, Rio said:

She can thank streams for that. Yet another Beatles record that should never have been broken 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cardi B charted 9 songs in one week last year, Drake charted 21!!! Sorry if I sound "inflammatory", but the charts are a f_cking mess

And I think it will continue. I think the article showed the #2 song with 36,000 in sales? That's .00001 percent of the US. So, streaming is definitely changing the charts like crazy. Sales still shows which fans are willing to pay for the music. 

littlepotter

I still am in awe at how well she rebounded. She could have fallen into a deep depression over what happened to her lately, but she rebounded and took care of herself and now broke a record I never thought conceivable. Wow.

chaeri pls

TBH, most of those beatles records seem fishy to me. They were great, but during that time I think it would be easier cause there was less competition

3 hours ago, Fish said:

so why was drake album not nominated in pop? 

also by your logic, bon appetit is not pop because it flopped.

popis both a genre and a marketing posture (which can include different sounds and songs that borrow soemtimes heavily from other genres). i still think pop can be seen a genre and i think that Ariana 's success right now is because she borrows heavily from trap and hip hop. 

good for her though

Drake not getting nominated in pop does not mean anything. Bon appetit is pop because it has the sound that was still popular in 2018, not because of its charts' position. Lol. Weak argument. 

Your thoughts on what pop is are different from what pop actually means/is. As of right now, pop music refers to the sounds that are currently popular.

2 hours ago, PlasticHo said:

And I think it will continue. I think the article showed the #2 song with 36,000 in sales? That's .00001 percent of the US. So, streaming is definitely changing the charts like crazy. Sales still shows which fans are willing to pay for the music. 

It's not even about who's willing to pay for music anymore. Streaming has too much of a weight on the charts, I accept it as a music consumption medium. It's how music is consumed now, just dislike how it's unfairly wrecking huge records. If Ariana released this in 1991, in 2001 or 2011, she wouldn't have done this. Nor Drake, nor Ed, nor Cardi.

if Shallow was out ten years ago, it would have been #1 or at least in the top 10 for quite some time now, if we're talking sales only. 

SCHEISSEMONTRE
10 hours ago, Chuckles said:

I have nothing against her, but these numbers are super impressive. How does this happen?

Her stans 

Mychal

SCHEISSEMONTRE
9 hours ago, Swallow said:

literally this. She is killing the game right now. Not even Katy slayed this much with TD era.

She got 5-6 #1 in that year.....wdym 

Mychal

SCHEISSEMONTRE
9 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Poor Americans, stanning for gifted vocalists. The rest of the world doesn't stan her.

Meanwhile "Thank You, Next" album on the Apple Music Charts. 

Apple Music:

#1 United States

#1 United Kingdom

#1 Antigua and Barbuda

#1 Argentina

#1 Armenia

#1 Australia

#1 Austria

#1 Azerbaijan

#1 Barbados

#1 Belarus

#1 Belgium