question

Worst Grammy winners/snubs?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

2017 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele - Hello (despite Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman being nominated)

Girl. No.

Scathach
2 hours ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

2019 - Album of the Year - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (despite Cardi B's Invasion Of Privacy being nominated) :what:

Imagine thinking Invasion Of Privacy was the best album of 2018...

StrawberryBlond

Forgot some more...

2008 Album of the Year: Herbie Hancock: River The Joni Letters (despite Amy Winehouse's Back To Black being nominated)

2011 Best New Artist: Esperanza Spalding (despite Florence + The Machine being nominated plus a whole host of names that later became huge, like JB, Drake and Mumford & Sons)

2015 Best Short Music Video: Pharrell Williams - Happy (despite Turn Down For What and Chandelier being nominated)

2015 Best Urban Contemporary Album - Pharrell Williams - G I R L (despite Beyonce's self titled being nominated)

17 hours ago, Arcanum said:

Mariah's 1996  Grammys snub was the most iconic IMHO.

6 noms to a critically acclaimed and commercially successful album (Daydream) and some massive no.1s (Fantasy, Always be my baby & One sweet day) and she returned home empty handed.

I think it's because I haven't been the biggest Mariah fan, so it doesn't bother me as much. I also don't think her music has aged that well. But yeah, the amount of times she missed out despite hitting the critical and commercial mark was odd.

17 hours ago, Antichrist said:

im surprised the pretty reckless was never nominated, all of their albums are pretty much... solid ****ing rock material. especially their debut :nooo:

Tell me about it. They're one of the best rock acts around right now, making just the right sound I want that other bands are sadly lacking in somewhat, except maybe Halestorm. They were never a big critical hit and have been nominated for basically nothing in nearly a decade of making music. It's probably because the lead singer was a former child star who made her big break on Gossip Girl and was only 16 when she started out making music that no one will take them seriously.

17 hours ago, Loopy said:

Well, I think we all know why Like a Prayer didn't get squat! ;) Dancing in front of burning Crucifixes on the 6 O'clock news is not exactly a good way to promote anything, even if we're talking about a Music Video here.

There was obviously no Internet back in those days and people were literally glued to their squared TV sets! Just saying....she got a lot of Heat for that stunt!

I know that but I'd like to think that the music industry could see past that and just judge the music. That's supposed to be the whole point of the music awards, but as we've seen, reputation can affect you.

16 hours ago, nicolasrumet said:

"2012 - Album of the Year: Adele - 21 (despite Gaga's Born This Way being nominated)"

What are you smoking? 21 is far superior to BTW, even though I love BTW!

"2017 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele - Hello (despite Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman being nominated)"

Just ew...

15 hours ago, NNES said:

Girl. No.

15 hours ago, JusticeforVenus said:

Dangerous woman over Hello???  XD XD XD (*1000)

I'm allowed my own opinion. I like 21 and Hello but I rarely find Adele's work anything much more than ok on the whole. Dangerous Woman as a song was so good it deserved a Grammy and everyone knew Adele would be winning other ones that night. Adele had an amazing Grammys with her last album (she won AOTY, remember), she'd had her big moment, plus she'd won for her debut too. Couldn't they have shared the love around a little? By this point, it seemed to predictable to give her the award when there was an upcoming artist who also had a good voice who was trying something new that didn't sound like anything on the current charts. Adele was also just covering old territory with 25, Ariana was trying something new. I feel at this point that Adele's winning just because she's Adele. She just sings the same songs with the same themes of sadness. Her voice isn't even all that. She didn't go through vocal surgery for nothing. Ariana's voice is way better. I know it's not a focus on the vocals but the song itself but still.

17 hours ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

2019 - Album of the Year - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (despite Cardi B's Invasion Of Privacy being nominated) :what:

17 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I agree with you on pretty much everything except your opinion on the 2019 Ceremony. I believe Kacey deserved her win.

17 hours ago, Mister D said:

I agree. Golden Hour is amazingly beautiful and well produced. Solid lyrics and good vocals. 

17 hours ago, Ryusei said:

Agreed. Golden Hour >>> Songs about flexing (not that I dont listen to Cardi occasionally or anything but... yeah...) 

16 hours ago, freakumdress said:

imagine to prefer Invasion Of Privacy over THE ACTUAL album of the year Golden Hour

15 hours ago, Scathach said:

Imagine thinking Invasion Of Privacy was the best album of 2018...

I'm honestly surprised that so many on GGD are falling for this album. Have any of you listened to her previous work? I've listened to all her albums and can say that Golden Hour is easily her most boring and forgettable. She started out being an a very different type of country artist, addressing issues that are very real in the south and criticising them, showing how progressive she was. Very clever writing and a lot of touching songs. But the more famous she became, the more she pulled back on that stuff and now she's married, she's making a completely safe, santisied album where the most controversial thing she says is her grandma went mad when she pierced her nose. Sure, it's still a halfway decent album but not on the level of things she did before. It's sad how she became safer and was rewarded for it. I didn't think GGD of all forums would be loving it, I thought they'd find it boring. If I found it boring, a site that loves "bops" must, so it's a weird experience for me to see so many of you liking it.

As for Cardi, her album was interesting, memorable and contained a lot of good lines. It's amazing how much GGD has turned against her recently, and ok, her personality has got a bit wild lately but that doesn't change the fact that you were loving her music before and I'm just judging the music. And @Scathach , I don't think that it's the best album of 2018, I think it was the best album out of the ones nominated by the Grammys.

FfFfFfFF
11 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Forgot some more...

2008 Album of the Year: Herbie Hancock: River The Joni Letters (despite Amy Winehouse's Back To Black being nominated)

2011 Best New Artist: Esperanza Spalding (despite Florence + The Machine being nominated plus a whole host of names that later became huge, like JB, Drake and Mumford & Sons)

2015 Best Short Music Video: Pharrell Williams - Happy (despite Turn Down For What and Chandelier being nominated)

2015 Best Urban Contemporary Album - Pharrell Williams - G I R L (despite Beyonce's self titled being nominated)

I think it's because I haven't been the biggest Mariah fan, so it doesn't bother me as much. I also don't think her music has aged that well. But yeah, the amount of times she missed out despite hitting the critical and commercial mark was odd.

Tell me about it. They're one of the best rock acts around right now, making just the right sound I want that other bands are sadly lacking in somewhat, except maybe Halestorm. They were never a big critical hit and have been nominated for basically nothing in nearly a decade of making music. It's probably because the lead singer was a former child star who made her big break on Gossip Girl and was only 16 when she started out making music that no one will take them seriously.

I know that but I'd like to think that the music industry could see past that and just judge the music. That's supposed to be the whole point of the music awards, but as we've seen, reputation can affect you.

I'm allowed my own opinion. I like 21 and Hello but I rarely find Adele's work anything much more than ok on the whole. Dangerous Woman as a song was so good it deserved a Grammy and everyone knew Adele would be winning other ones that night. Adele had an amazing Grammys with her last album (she won AOTY, remember), she'd had her big moment, plus she'd won for her debut too. Couldn't they have shared the love around a little? By this point, it seemed to predictable to give her the award when there was an upcoming artist who also had a good voice who was trying something new that didn't sound like anything on the current charts. Adele was also just covering old territory with 25, Ariana was trying something new. I feel at this point that Adele's winning just because she's Adele. She just sings the same songs with the same themes of sadness. Her voice isn't even all that. She didn't go through vocal surgery for nothing. Ariana's voice is way better. I know it's not a focus on the vocals but the song itself but still.

I'm honestly surprised that so many on GGD are falling for this album. Have any of you listened to her previous work? I've listened to all her albums and can say that Golden Hour is easily her most boring and forgettable. She started out being an a very different type of country artist, addressing issues that are very real in the south and criticising them, showing how progressive she was. Very clever writing and a lot of touching songs. But the more famous she became, the more she pulled back on that stuff and now she's married, she's making a completely safe, santisied album where the most controversial thing she says is her grandma went mad when she pierced her nose. Sure, it's still a halfway decent album but not on the level of things she did before. It's sad how she became safer and was rewarded for it. I didn't think GGD of all forums would be loving it, I thought they'd find it boring. If I found it boring, a site that loves "bops" must, so it's a weird experience for me to see so many of you liking it.

As for Cardi, her album was interesting, memorable and contained a lot of good lines. It's amazing how much GGD has turned against her recently, and ok, her personality has got a bit wild lately but that doesn't change the fact that you were loving her music before and I'm just judging the music. And @Scathach , I don't think that it's the best album of 2018, I think it was the best album out of the ones nominated by the Grammys.

Well Golden Hour was a very well crafted album, tender, delicate, beautiful compositions. I confess I didn't listen to any of her older work, but it doesn't change the fact that her album was quality stuff. :shrug: I have nothing against Cardi, I just believe Kacey deserved it.

SCHEISSEMONTRE
18 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

2011 - Album of the Year: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (despite Gaga's The Fame Monster, Eminem's Recovery and Katy Perry's Teenage Dream being nominated)

That year Katy and Gaga got snubbed 

Mychal

13 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It seems her Damage Control Team was unable to pull that sword out of the stone before the Grams came along. I'm a lil older than you and I can honestly say, it was a MAJOR screw up splashed all over TV and Magazines back then! 

rumours
17 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Idk. I’ve also listened to all her work, and I like Golden Hour very much. For me, Golden Hour along with STDP are her two best albums. That being said, Merry Go Round is still probably my favorite Kacey song even after all these years. 

Oriane
19 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

2011 - Album of the Year: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (despite Gaga's The Fame Monster, Eminem's Recovery and Katy Perry's Teenage Dream being nominated)

I disagree on that, The Suburbs is one of their best albums and it deserved the award. I'd put it on the same level as The Fame Monster (which is clearly not my favorite Gaga album).

The Pretty Reckless

I totally agree on that ! I was looking at rock nominations the other day and it's crazy that The Pretty Reckless has never been nominated ! It's not like they don't have any space for that, they nominate bands that are not as popular, or even not as good.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

SCHEISSEMONTRE

2018 - Album of the Year - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic (despite Lorde's Melodrama being nominated)

Melodrama deserved better :grr:

Didn’t even know who  TF they are, but ether Katy or Gaga should 've gotten the Grammy 

2012 - Album of the Year: Adele - 21 (despite Gaga's Born This Way being nominated)

2017 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele - Hello (despite Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman being nominated)

Gurl Adele did THAT! Ken and his minions like her as well as th GP so it doesn’t surprise me

2018 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (despite Gaga's Million Reasons and Kesha's Praying being nominated)

2018 - Best Pop Vocal Album - Ed Sheeran - Divide (despite Gaga's Joanne, Lana Del Rey's Lust For Life and Kesha's Rainbow being nominated)

THIS! This was-

2019 - Album of the Year - Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (despite Cardi B's Invasion Of Privacy being nominated)

Are you okay?

and I’ll add one of mine:

2019 - Best Vocal Album - Ariana Grande - Sweetener (despite Taylor's Swift's Reputation being nominated)

Mychal

The Pretty Reckless definitely deserve some sort of a nomination at least. Their discography is impeccable. I can’t help but think that it’s because they have a female vocalist. Hard rock fans seem to be very sceptical about female’s presence in the genre. 

A Hybrid
18 hours ago, nicolasrumet said:

"2012 - Album of the Year: Adele - 21 (despite Gaga's Born This Way being nominated)"

What are you smoking? 21 is far superior to BTW, even though I love BTW!

"2017 - Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele - Hello (despite Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman being nominated)"

Just ew...

This.

No family’s safe when I sashay

StrawberryBlond
22 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Well Golden Hour was a very well crafted album, tender, delicate, beautiful compositions. I confess I didn't listen to any of her older work, but it doesn't change the fact that her album was quality stuff. :shrug: I have nothing against Cardi, I just believe Kacey deserved it.

Yeah, but I found them forgettable and the lyrics rather bland. Just like the filler tracks on her previous albums, only, it was near enough a whole album packed with it. And that awful neo disco sound she did with High Horse was shockingly bad, just hate that kinda sound and don't know what she was thinking. I'd highly recommend going back to her old work and you'll see the difference.

20 minutes ago, SCHEISSEMONTRE said:

That year Katy and Gaga got snubbed 

Yeah, it was weird to see all the big names lose out to a more obscure indie band who had never been big Grammy winners before. It was the first outrage I'd ever felt, even moreso by the fact that they didn't even win best album in their respective genre category that night (if it's not good enough by their genre's standards, how's it good enough by general music standards?) And it was speculated that it was all a fix because they immediately performed straight afterwards and everything was set up ready to go which had never happened before.

15 minutes ago, Loopy said:

It seems her Damage Control Team was unable to pull that sword out of the stone before the Grams came along. I'm a lil older than you and I can honestly say, it was a MAJOR screw up splashed all over TV and Magazines back then! 

So glad that Grammys are no longer so pathetic, then.

13 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

Idk. I’ve also listened to all her work, and I like Golden Hour very much. For me, Golden Hour along with STDP are her two best albums. That being said, Merry Go Round is still probably my favorite Kacey song even after all these years. 

I'm shocked that Pageant Material never won anything, despite her having a good season with her debut and Golden Hour now giving her the best season. It's the forgotten album in between, with a good few gems on it. I just don't get why that one got mislaid. And true, love Merry Go Round, so sweet, cleverly written and brings a tear to the eye.

12 minutes ago, Oriane said:

I disagree on that, The Suburbs is one of their best albums and it deserved the award. I'd put it on the same level as The Fame Monster (which is clearly not my favorite Gaga album).

I totally agree on that ! I was looking at rock nominations the other day and it's crazy that The Pretty Reckless has never been nominated ! It's not like they don't have any space for that, they nominate bands that are not as popular, or even not as good.

I, on the other hand, could barely even make it through that album. I really don't know what the academy saw in it. They faded away almost completely after that. I ironically preferred their follow-up, Reflektor, far more. Everything Now was even more interesting to me than The Suburbs.

It's a travesty that The Pretty Reckless have been so ignored. I thought Going To Hell would be the song that got them a nomination at the very least. That has some of the best rock songwriting I've ever heard, especially the way the chorus keeps changing and that amazing ending with the soft creepy laugh. I like how they haven't given up making music even though they've been so underappreciated.

5 minutes ago, SCHEISSEMONTRE said:

2019 - Best Vocal Album - Ariana Grande - Sweetener (despite Taylor's Swift's Reputation being nominated)

I think Taylor deserved it more too but I still think Camila Cabello was the best in that category. The Grammys have used her so much for ratings. This is the second ceremony in a row where she's been performing and won nothing.

5 minutes ago, swakby said:

The Pretty Reckless definitely deserve some sort of a nomination at least. Their discography is impeccable. I can’t help but think that it’s because they have a female vocalist. Hard rock fans seem to be very sceptical about female’s presence in the genre. 

They've nominated and allowed bands to win that are female led before. But I think they have to be very critically admired. The Pretty Reckless aren't, though I don't know why. Though I did suggest previously that the fact they started out with a 16 year old girl who was a former child star in The Grinch and known through Gossip Girl did nothing for their credibility. Admittedly, even I had doubts when they started out for this reason. To see a 16 year old lording it up in interviews and looking like every wannabe teenage rebel with her short skirt and eyeliner was an instant turn-off. But then I actually listened to Make Me Wanna Die and never looked back. Maybe because of her beginnings, people thought she'd never be making true "rock" music and must be pop rock. It's not often that someone who came from her beginnings would make music like this and I sometimes wonder if people judge too early and translate her work differently when they hear it as opposed to if she had genuinely started out from the wrong side of the tracks.

Inferno

Im sorry but Norah and Arcade Fire deserved their awards. Period.

I get its become a thing to roll your eyes at Arcade Fire because they became cliche indie staples and maybe even to some "white" staples. But at least their first few albums (don't follow them now) deserved all the praise they got imo.

Archived