💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Cher Have The Most Longevity Out Of Any Major Artist?

Economy

Featured Posts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy
8 minutes ago, AMENiCURE said:

madonna from her grave says hi

If were gonna count dead artists Elvis Presley says hi

Heck lower your standards on what u consider relevant and add Beethoven and Bach while ur at it :rip:

Economy
12 minutes ago, thwip said:

Isn’t “Believe” the last song she had that was relatively popular? And that was almost twenty years ago. 

Yeah I think so... But it's impressive that she had a #1 in almost every major market in the world (including USA, UK, Canada, Australia etc) at 52!

Excluding her big tours, Her relevance since then has mainly come from movies

Edit: in 2011 (she was in her mid to late 60s) she had a #1 with "You haven't seen the last of me" but it was in one of the side billboard charts not the hot 100

I'm trying to figure out where it peaked on the main chart. I can't find the hot 100 history so that tells me it wasn't big

I know for sure she had a hit 100 entry in 2002 with another track but it was not a top 10

So yes major hit Believe definitely would be her last one

That J
21 minutes ago, Economy said:

I don't know if Tony has had a consistently relevant career (especially the last few decades before he came more back on the scene with his duets album) to fit the description

But if u exclude long periods of hiatus and look when he first came out and when he last was talked about (which was recently with his C2C era) then sure he would definitely fit the bill

True. I was just considering someone who has been around forever and can still score at least a number one album which is crazy impressive.  

However, on this overall topic....in terms of continued success...it seem to be a female's win!!!   Cher has remained CONSTANT.  

She also has a fun BRIGHT show in person. I recommend.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

That J
10 minutes ago, Arcanum said:

My heart still hurts for the #1 album that never has been.:diane:

41vnlNOy2IL._SX355_.jpg

She didnt care for that to be.  It wasnt even sold in stores. I LOVE that you know about it.   It's not even always easy to find either. This is really HER album without the big production, had her own writing. No tour, no video, that I recall. Not commercial. Low key. I think it was only released online. 

It does have some good tracks on it tho. I recently bought it again because I had lost mine. Yay for ebay. Haha

latina twilight

Yes.

And she's queen of gays, and god.

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

Economy
Just now, That J said:

True. I was just considering someone who has been around forever and can still score at least a number one album which is crazy impressive.  

However, on this overall topic....in terms of continued success...it seem to be a female's win!!!   Cher has remained CONSTANT.  

She also has a fun BRIGHT show in person. I recommend.  

I think she definitely outdoes Madonna in this department

Her last hit was 4 Minutes ft Justin Timberlake when she was 49

Madonna did have a top 10 with "gimme all your love" when it to #10 for 1 week after its debut at the super bowl... But I don't consider that a hit cuz it immediately ranked off the charts after the SuperBowl debut and got almost no sales or radio airplay

Her music success is over (unless u count touring which Madonna still does extremely well in)

But Cher has remained moderately successful because of the acting side of her career something Madonna won't be able to rely on since she was never taken very seriously as an actress

I think Madonna will be less relevant at 73 than Cher is now... 

In fact even now in recent years Cher has had more exposure than Madonna despite being over 10 years older!

That J
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

I think she definitely outdoes Madonna in this department

Her last hit was 4 Minutes ft Justin Timberlake when she was 49

Madonna did have a top 10 with "gimme all your love" when it to #10 for 1 week after its debut at the super bowl... But I don't consider that a hit cuz it immediately ranked off the charts after the SuperBowl debut and got almost no sales or radio airplay

Her music success is over (unless u count touring which Madonna still does extremely well in)

But Cher has remained moderately successful because of the acting side of her career something Madonna won't be able to rely on since she was never taken very seriously as an actress

I think Madonna will be less relevant at 73 than Cher is now... 

In fact even now in recent years Cher has had more exposure than Madonna despite being over 10 years older!

The only thing they have in common in my mind is success, reinvention, music and movies....and longevity. The music has always somehow felt like different genres. Both have individual styles....even when broadening out.  

Cher has been around longer so of course she has that. I think its impressive to debut in 1982 and still be someone who is doing well.  They both proved their points. Lol. 

Edit ...

But I'm also a huge Madge fan so. ....lol

That J
Just now, imnotyourbabe10 said:

:tony: (specifically tracks 6 & 7) The 70's must have been a musical dream :diane:

Theres SO MANY great songs in the 70s. I was raised on the 60's and 70's cuz my mom was a music person ...and it was the 80s so that was happening. Very good stuff when you can find it. 

Economy
3 minutes ago, That J said:

The only thing they have in common in my mind is success, reinvention, music and movies....and longevity. The music has always somehow felt like different genres. Both have individual styles....even when broadening out.  

Cher has been around longer so of course she has that. I think its impressive to debut in 1982 and still be someone who is doing well.  They both proved their points. Lol. 

Edit ...

But I'm also a huge Madge fan so. ....lol

On a side note tho... Although Cher will outdo Madonna in longevity career wise... I think for sure Madonna will be more remembered long after they die

Madonna had a lot of concentrated success in music over a 20-25 year period and those hits are remembered

Chers over-all success is split between music and acting... Old movies are not generally remembered as well as old music

Chers success in TV will be largely forgotten after she dies... When it comes to music which is more easily remembered longer, Madonna has way more hit catalogue

That J
Just now, Economy said:

On a side note tho... Although Cher will outdo Madonna in longevity career wise... I think for sure Madonna will be more remembered long after they die

Madonna had a lot of concentrated success in music over a 20-25 year period and those hits are remembered

Chers over-all success is split between music and acting... Old movies are not generally remembered as well as old music

Chers success in TV will be largely forgotten after she dies... When it comes to music which is more easily remembered longer, Madonna has way more hit catalogue

What's really wild?  In like 500 years?  Neither will probably be remembered. 

Ugh that's so sad.  Let's not think that way.  Hahaha

Archived