đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Cher Have The Most Longevity Out Of Any Major Artist?

Economy

Featured Posts

Economy

She still gets tv interviews, recently was in a movie (Mammamia 2) and recently got offered yet another role but declined it so she could be home with her mother

Her recent tours still have done extremely well and to a large degree she is still relevant

Her career will soon span almost 60 years!

She's also the only artist to have a #1 hit in 6 different decades in at least 1 major billboard chart (not counting only hot 100)

She's also the only female to have a #1 hit over the age of 50 when Believe went #1 all over the world including the US when she was 52 years old!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andreu
8 minutes ago, Economy said:

She's also the only female to have a #1 hit over the age of 50 when Believe went #1 all over the world including the US when she was 52 years old!

has any man got a #1 being older rho?

That J

She was a hit in the 1960's and never went away so I would say absolutely YES. She has been around the longest successfully. You could argue Diana Ross or maybe a Mick Jagger or whatnot but in terms of STILL selling and still touring and all she does...it would have to be Cher.

Tony Bennett is up there too tho so they may be King and Queen in that respect.  

Bette Midler isnt all that far behind.  There are a good number of older acts that stayed in the game successfully. I'd give it to Cher and Tony.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

That J

It's the idea of having a number one in 6 different decades that is absolutely amazing.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Yes, she's truly the goddess of all times :legend:

966d71b0844c0f6aa8ee57ef44d1cdc0.gif

...ıllıllı c h e r r y c h e r r y b o o m b o o m ıllıllı...

Economy
Just now, Andreu said:

has any man got a #1 being older rho?

The oldest #1 was by Louis Armstrong when in 1964 he had his last #1 hit at age 62

So he was 10 years older than Cher

Economy
6 minutes ago, That J said:

She was a hit in the 1960's and never went away so I would say absolutely YES. She has been around the longest successfully. You could argue Diana Ross or maybe a Mick Jagger or whatnot but in terms of STILL selling and still touring and all she does...it would have to be Cher.

Tony Bennett is up there too tho so they may be King and Queen in that respect.  

Bette Midler isnt all that far behind.  There are a good number of older acts that stayed in the game successfully. I'd give it to Cher and Tony.  

I don't know if Tony has had a consistently relevant career (especially the last few decades before he came more back on the scene with his duets album) to fit the description

But if u exclude long periods of hiatus and look when he first came out and when he last was talked about (which was recently with his C2C era) then sure he would definitely fit the bill

Andreu
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

The oldest #1 was by Louis Armstrong when in 1964 he had his last #1 hit at age 62

So he was 10 years older than Cher

but in the pop era, I don't think anyone else did

Economy
Just now, Andreu said:

but in the pop era, I don't think anyone else did

As far as I'm aware Cher is the only individual (male, female or group) to have a #1 hit on the hot 100 (and globally) over the age of 50 in recent decades.

Just saying if ur talking of all time, Louis Armstrong has that record

25 minutes ago, Economy said:

She's also the only artist to have a #1 hit in 6 different decades in at least 1 major billboard chart (not counting only hot 100)

Don't know if this is true or not, but doesn't Barbra Streisand also has this record? I think she mentioned it on her Netflix special or something.

Economy
2 minutes ago, Patriah said:

Don't know if this is true or not, but doesn't Barbra Streisand also has this record? I think she mentioned it on her Netflix special or something.

Streisand is the only artist in history to have a #1 album in 6 different decades but not singles as far as I know. Perhaps albums is what u heard.

I could be wrong about that tho I'm not 100% sure if she has that achievement for singles as well

1 minute ago, Economy said:

Streisand is the only artist in history to have a #1 album in 6 different decades but not singles as far as I know. Perhaps albums is what u heard.

I could be wrong about that tho I'm not 100% sure if she has that achievement for singles as well

You are completely right! Yeah, I think Album-wise, she does have #1s in 6 decades, but not singles. 

Archived