đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's punishment for what men are doing.

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

NotMyFlop

As we all know, Do What U Want was a very problematic duet. In 2013 (or 2014) she recognized this, apologized for being problematic (albeit not that explicitly) and spent the next five years educating herself, speaking out and not working with people who rape or sexually assault people. 

In 2019, because of mounting media pressure and scrutiny, she had to apologize again (this time very  explicitly) and then took a good step forward and scrubbed the song from streaming platforms. I agree that she made the right move and I support it 100%. However, I disagree with the public crucifying specifically her when he worked with 60+ other artists who never apologized. Gaga's move prompted other artists to follow. 

BUT

Justin Bieber, several rappers and now the cast of Bohemian Rhapsody have all defended R. Kelly, Chris Brown or Bryan Singer from their pedophile, sexual assault and rape accusations are getting away punishment-free. 

Rami Malek, the lead in Bohemian Rhapsody, simply explained that he "didn't know" about the accusations. Which, in total fairness, he may not have: but why does that logic not apply to Gaga? Both Singer and R. Kelly have extensive accusations spanning several years, Singer's isn't some fresh controversy. 

Rami shouldn't be punished for what Bryan Singer did; but he should admit he worked with a problematic person, *actually* apologize and disavow any professional or personal ties with that man. Same with Bieber and the slew of rappers. 

BUT 

Since they're men ... the backlash simply won't follow. Gaga had to apologize when r. kelly STILL hasn't and because of the fiasco, it has hurt her Oscar chances. 

F**K SEXISM. 

Quartz

It's partly sexism, it's partly outspokenness. She is a clear advocate against rape and sexual abuse. This fact alone makes her a larger target for scrutiny because of her core message. If anything, this just means people are listening to what she's saying, which is good.

Inside, we are really made the same. đź•Š

PunkTheFunk

It was the nature of the collaboration that made her a target. The song is literally called "Do what you want (to my body)" :triggered: If it had just been some run of the mill R&B love song I think she could've brushed it off.

JustAnother
5 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

It was the nature of the collaboration that made her a target. The song is literally called "Do what you want (to my body)" :triggered: If it had just been some run of the mill R&B love song I think she could've brushed it off.

Exactly. Gaga even defended his accusations back then, not to meantion the scrapped video has him fingering her without her consent (as she’s unconscious). She made a song with an alleged rapist focusing around bad/wrong press, not to mention the song is extremely sexual and can be wrongly interpreted. While I do think some comes from sexism, the subject matter of this song is a lot different than any of the other collaborators. 

ssslyboy
31 minutes ago, NotMyFlop said:

In 2013 (or 2014) she recognized this, apologized for being problematic (albeit not that explicitly) and spent the next five years educating herself,

This is a bit of a reach.  I don't remember her apologizing for the song back then.

Anyways that said, I do agree though she shouldn't be singled out when many people have collaborated with R Kelly (...and Michael Jackson for that matter.  Just saying.)

Borislshere

Like others said, the reason people were going hard on her was because of who she is. She's Lady Gaga, a huge advocate for sexual assault survivors and is very outspoken when it comes to those things. I know personally that was the reason I was disappointed in her silence. I'm glad she finally spoke out about it and cleared the air about the whole situation. It takes a lot of courage to admit when you've done something wrong. 

Sanne Godijn
6 minutes ago, ssslyboy said:

This is a bit of a reach.  I don't remember her apologizing for the song back then.

Anyways that said, I do agree though she shouldn't be singled out when many people have collaborated with R Kelly (...and Michael Jackson for that matter.  Just saying.)

Off topic tomorrow the micheal jackson documantary leaving neverland comes out get ready for a shitstorm guys

Sanne Godijn
11 minutes ago, ssslyboy said:

He/She was probably referring to gaga scrapping the dwuw video

gagarox

the song was seen as promoting rape... gaga herself said in the statement she purposely wanted to do smth controversial.... she should have apologised way back in 2014. 

androiduser

the reason why she is under so much scrutiny is because she came out as an abuse victim and a champion of the victims' movement... and that doesn't really mesh well with the rape anthem

ChromaticPrincess
1 hour ago, Sanne Godijn said:

Off topic tomorrow the micheal jackson documantary leaving neverland comes out get ready for a shitstorm guys

Wait why?

✨oh the lights dim while we’re dancing yeah the floor is shaking in this disco heaven✨

nodandsmile

They were coming at her because of how vocal she usually is about sexual assaults. She apologized, owned up to it and most people moved on and others did a few days later. That last sentence is not true at all since she's done well on that part. And also it is not true that Rami is getting away with it, he is getting DRAGGED!

beaublue

Its all a double standard... & I’m sick of it, maybe we should start a petition that asks all of these people to apologize? I believe we can get it done

Archived