đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Crazy Rich Asians Deserved An Oscar Nomination

ItWasntLaauv

Featured Posts

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, Serial Chiller said:

Any chick flicks you would find on Hong Kong, Taiwanese, and various SEAsian TV channels. 
That's what I said - It only means so much to Asian Americans. To Asians living in Asia, it's as meh as it can be. 

The essence of it is just another Cinderella tale- rom com with an Asian cast and the typical Asian in law tug of war. 

First off. This is an American film. So different rules. It's not like the Chinese or Korean snubbed this movie for an International award. That's wouldn't be too surprising. Most Americans don't watch any of those foreign films for comparison though. And America just don't see movies like this. It's not like it had to be nominated for an Oscar, but whatever. But people liked it and not just Asians.

And just because you're Asian doesn't mean you get to speak for all Asians. I could care less if you're Asian and disliked the film. That's a bit irrelevant if I say so. It was a good film that got great reviews here in America. So of course people would give it Oscar buzz.

Bella Goth
Just now, Serial Chiller said:

Any chick flicks you would find on Hong Kong, Taiwanese, and various SEAsian TV channels. 
That's what I said - It only means so much to Asian Americans. To Asians living in Asia, it's as meh as it can be. 

The essence of it is just another Cinderella tale- rom com with an Asian cast and the typical Asian in law tug of war. 

im asian also i found out the story just meh. but again i admired process behind the production. all asian come together to make a hollywood movie. but could pick different genre or else, i think i dont know most people praise it because they dont wanna get called racist or anything. is it oscar worthy? yes but in production category. and again this movie is all about asian come together. and that makes me love it, like as a malay mongoloid i feel represent by henry golding, never seen my race on hollywood screen before. asian is not only chinese, korean, indian, etc but we are many right here.

Serial Chiller
1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

First off. This is an American film. So different rules. It's not like the Chinese or Korean snubbed this movie for an International award. That's wouldn't be too surprising. Most Americans don't watch any of those foreign films for comparison though. And America just don't see movies like this. It's not like it had to be nominated for an Oscar, but whatever. But people liked it and not just Asians.

And just because you're Asian doesn't mean you get to speak for all Asians. I could care less if you're Asian and disliked the film. That's a bit irrelevant if I say so. It was a good film that got great reviews here in America. So of course people would give it Oscar buzz.

It was my opinion and since I don't find anything fresh or exciting in the movie, I simply don't think it's worthy of Oscars. The only reason this movie even got this much attention is because of the Asian casting. Yeah socially progressive but that doesn't make a movie stand on its own cinematic or narrative wise. 

And just because a film is enjoyable doesn't mean it should be nominated for anything. The glowing reviews it had were partly, if not mostly, because of the point above - having a minority group as the main cast, something Americans find wildly unexpected. (I mean, if China were to make an all white movie people would go crazy as well but that's besides the point.)

Everyone loved Mission Impossible Fallout, yet no one's screaming for their Oscar nominations. Some movies just are never going to be nominated for these awards.  

You're saying it's irrelevant that I'm Asian while I already explained why I would feel as an Asian who's not raised in a Western culture, it would be hard to see anything worth swooning over. Being Asian is the normal thing here in Asia, so once you take that 'exotic quality' away, it's basically another chick flick/ rom-com:

Prince charming loves girl from middle-class background. Middle-class girl tries to fit into prince charming's world. Prince charming's family hates her and thinks she's never enough. Girl initially sucks it in but ultimately rebukes. Family (mom) changes her heart. Prince goes after girl. Everyone lives happily ever after. 

It's as cheesy as cheesy gets, with little subtlety. It's not a bad movie, but certainly nothing that is Oscar worthy. 

It deserved nominations in production design, costume, etc I honestly cant believe they chose BR over this masterpiece. 

Archived