Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

Variety: ASIB is underperforming because it didn't have a social message

Chickens in Malibu

Featured Posts

Sanne Godijn
2 minutes ago, LaLa said:

This is an interesting take. You know, it makes me think about two things: a) Bradley is very private, and b) Bradley is sober. And I really wonder how much this played into the whole campaign. 

In the first big piece of ASIB press (this NYT profile 'Bradley Cooper Is Not Really Into This Profile ') he was very very reluctant to talk about how his personal life and experiences played into the film. If he really wanted to I'm sure he could have come out hard talking about his own struggles with alcohol, and how his own father's death informed the making of the film, and really sold that personal narrative.

But he didn't, instead going with things like "the message is in the art for you to interpret" type of statements. His talk about making the film has been kind of detached I find. And I think that's because it's so deeply personal that he is reluctant to put too much out there.

He didn't do any actor roundtables, and just that one director one for THR I believe. Instead we got Gaga in big articles for Variety, THR, and doing roundtables and Actors on Actors etc. Which is great for us! But then we're left to hear all about Bradley's message from someone else.

Themes of addiction and co-dependence are obviously huge messages in the movie itself, but besides a few lines here and there haven't really been discussed in interviews, and I can see where this article is coming from, from an Oscar campaign perspective.

I still think its bullshit

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sanne Godijn said:

I still think its bullshit

I agree that it shouldn't matter (I think that's what you're saying). Bradley is right that it should speak for itself!

But unfortunately there is a lot more than pure artistic merit that goes into determining Oscar noms and wins.

LateToCult
6 minutes ago, Emigrante said:

@LateToCult that above is your answer about your “delulu” thing.

Not really. If anything that just proves my point. Y’all are too passionate about this and are getting easily offended because people are saying the movie isn’t successful at winning awards. As I mentioned in my post, the film was expected to be a front runner in many categories and so far Gaga is the only thing winning. It’s not an attack. It’s just reality. 

monsterdino

do The Favourite or Bohemian have any social messages? lmfao...plus ASIB is talking about addiction and that is a social message

Sanne Godijn
Just now, LaLa said:

I agree that it shouldn't matter (I think that's what you're saying). Bradley is right that it should speak for itself!

But unfortunately there is a lot more than pure artistic merit that goes into determining Oscar noms and wins.

I just wish the oscars to nominate people for their talent not their political message

Underperforming? Its the most nominated ASIB, even more than the original one. And tell me, is there any other [fourth] remake that has recieved Oscar nominations? :triggered:

Runway

It may be so, but it’s also the reason it outgrossed all those films at the box office. People in the real world hate these tired faux woke movies

MarcusBones

It has a huge social message about mental health and addiction and coping with that when you're in a codependent relationship but go off Variety

ssslyboy

Probably.  Everything's gotta have a damned social or political message now.  It can't be just a really good story.  We need a break from social messages if you ask me.  :wtfga:

Gagaism

Well, I see social message at the addiction thing on the movie but at this point it got underrated because (NO SHADE, just a point of view) all the social messages that are things to discuss and take serious right now is about LGBTQ, black people, politics, harassment and bias :oops:

edit: imagine how embarrassing it could be if someone in the artistic industry appears in a big award or concert stage acting like Jack Maine at the age of alcoholic addiction discussions...

PunkTheFunk

If "underperforming" means being nominated for 8 Oscars then I hope I underperform some day :vegas:

Chuckles

I think what the article implies is that they want the "social message" to be explicit so that "audiences" (the GP) can grasp it? Sounds like moviegoers need to open their minds a little...

And when they decide to include that "social message" narrative in their Oscar campaign the same publication will write how Bradley and Gaga are exploiting the social issue just to get an Oscar. 

Really damned if you will, damned if you don't. :coffee: 

Anyway, at the end of the day I'm a Gaga stan and since she has won something in every awards show, I'm happy :vegas: 

I thought its message regarding addiction and substance dependency (and how it's projected onto others) was very, very clear?

3 points in and ready for more

If anything this just reinforces how shallow (:ally:) and uninterested the public and award committees are when it comes to their perception of films. ASIB absolutely does have a social message about the horrors of addiction, but because the actors and directors aren’t explicitly telling us that in every interview people don’t pick up on it.

Also because the issue of addiction isn’t as topical and current as other films social messages, people discard it as unimportant, when in fact that makes it more important as it’s attempting to shine a light on something that’s often hidden away.

08, 09, 11, 13, 16, 20

Archived