Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Rant: Why does Gaga complicate things?

Bambino

Featured Posts

AStarIsBorn21
1 minute ago, Didymus said:

I seriously disagree.

She hasn't changed up her game since C2C. This really does feel permanent. It's been four years...

What is her game and how has it been the same since 2014. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus
Just now, mariomania1234 said:

No it not. It's subjective.

I'm not saying it's not her best work, that is subjective. I am saying that that's what a lot of fans are really bummed about. It's not about wanting her to be "Gaga" again, all of that is pretty much invented by the people who are annoyed by the complainers. Wanting Gaga to be "Gaga" again is code for her being good again :diane: That's what I meant with "that's the truth".

AStarIsBorn21
5 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

She doesn't, the endless hot takes from fans who try to figure things out and try to represent the brand and person "Lady Gaga" as if they were her are what complicates everything.

People thinking "Ha! I've finally figured her out! This is what she will do next!" is the real problem. You don't. Cuz she's a person, with feelings, cravings, needs, thoughts and opinions. Lady Gaga is a person not a science.

I love this.

20 minutes ago, chun li said:

I ask myself if hollywood ruined her :toofunny:

No, she hates Hollywood, she wouldn't let them control her for the world :ladyhaha:

18 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

The only people who are complicating this matter are fans who brutally want Gaga to "stay Gaga."

Here's what the situation is:

"Gaga" is Stefani. Stefani is "Gaga". "Gaga" is a persona Stefani used in order to feel more confident, brave, and to overall take creative control over her career. Stefani is weird, artistic, creative, imaginative, rebellious, etc., but "Gaga" is just that 10x. 

The reason she made that statement is because at this point in time, people only see "Gaga" for what they want to see her as. She explains this on the Actors on Actors interview with Jamie Lee Curtis. "Gaga" is suppose to be an amalgamation of who she is and whatever artistic endeavour she's taking on; however, people have misconstrued that in a way where people only see her as being what they want to see her as. People have this perception of who she is, and often times, that's not who she really is. She made that statement to say "Look, I am 'Gaga', but I'm not the 'Gaga' everyone thinks I am because at this point everyone has a perception of me that's different from who I really am."

I feel like people are misconstruing this to be like "Well Gaga's not 'Gaga' if she's not weird so she must not like being 'Gaga' anymore." Remember the rumour that she was going to be credited as "Stefani" for the movie? Well, she's credited as "Lady Gaga." She still sees herself as Gaga, but she doesn't like that there are people who have this idea of who "Gaga" is when they really don't.

:applause::applause:

Didymus
Just now, AStarIsBorn21 said:

What is her game and how has it been the same since 2014. 

The way she talks about herself, her previous career, her music and where she's going. The vibe, her lack of interest in challenging fashion (this especially since 2015), her deteriorating clothing presentation in her daily life, her "I'd rather be pretty than interesting" red carpet looks, etc.

I don't know, like can you honestly say Joanne was completely different, presentation wise, than Cheek to Cheek? It felt like the same person to me... she just stopped playing a character and wanted to be seen, for both albums, as a regular girl who was just making music and wanted people to focus on her vocal talents.

That's still the case as of the end of 2018. So I don't think it's convincing to expect her to switch things up again for her next era. If that was the case, she'd have done it already.

geopang

It’s sad, but I think she’s really been trying to seek approval for the last 4 years. Everything has been palatable for the GP. I find it sad because this is coming from the same girl who years ago stood on stage and said “this is not a joke. This is really who the f**k I am”.

Bel Esprit
5 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I seriously disagree.

She hasn't changed up her game since C2C. This really does feel permanent. It's been four years...

I feel like LG6 being produced by Sophie and Boys Noize shows that a return to old Gaga could happen, unless she scraps it. :selena:

I'm wondering if things got complicated because of how she retroactively looks at things.

I truly believe, as does she, that she was being as "authentic" as she was, at each and every respective moment in her career in the past. However, I'm wondering if she is at odds with it now, after she has changed and grown up.

3 points in and ready for more

Didymus
5 minutes ago, mariomania1234 said:

I completely disagree. Her whole aesthetic and sound changes album to album. Sorry.

It did change but her way of presenting herself didn't, not at all. She continued that personal, "I'm just a regular girl" shtick that started right when C2C began as an era.

There's no way she changed as much as from TF to TFM, or the latter to BTW, or the latter to ARTPOP, or the latter to C2C. Nah. There's far more continuity than discontinuity. From C2C onwards, it has all felt like one big era to me. Just with a solo album released in the middle.

Bel Esprit
1 minute ago, geopang said:

It’s sad, but I think she’s really been trying to seek approval for the last 4 years. Everything has been palatable for the GP. It’s as because this is coming from the same girl who years ago stood on stage and said “this is not a joke. This is really who the f**k I am”.

I think she had to kill old Gaga in 2014 to maintain a career. It all was just leading to backlash and diminishing returns. At the end of the day Lady Gaga is a mainstream popstar. She can't continue down a path even as it becomes less and less lucrative indefinitely. She has dancers, managers, stylists and a record label that she is supporting. I'm sure Gaga will reintroduce elements of CrazyGa eventually, but this Oscar campaign is too big of moment in her career to risk. It's just too big of a moment. Her future in showbiz is really being cemented with this project and Gaga can't risk losing her traction. 

mariomania1234
Just now, Didymus said:

It did change but her way of presenting herself didn't, not at all. She continued that personal, "I'm just a regular girl" shtick that started right when C2C began as an era.

There's no way she changed as much as from TF to TFM, or the latter to BTW, or the latter to ARTPOP, or the latter to C2C. Nah. There's far more continuity than discontinuity. From C2C onwards, it has all felt like one big era to me. Just with a solo album released in the middle.

I don't see this as all but you do you.

Antichrist
1 minute ago, Didymus said:

what if that's the state of mind she's at now? do you want her to be something she's not just so you'd enjoy her more? i personally ain't really here for all that she's doing lately either, but hey, it's her life, let the girl live.

8 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I seriously disagree.

I feel like we get glimpses of a more "old school" occasionally. Whenever she's on stage, specifically during when she tours, I feel like it's the Gaga we have seen for years- just more grown up, and wiser (I honestly think the JWT is a perfect example of the "old school" Gaga persona authentically growing up and matured).

As much as I hate to say it, I'm wondering if she feels pressure to look and act more "mature". I know her jazz era with Tony was very healing for her spiritually and emotionally, and truly healed a crack in her career- I just hope she doesn't feel like she needs to fit into that particular paradigm in order to be successful.

I still love Gaga, and whatever steps she takes next are valid for her and her career's sake- I just hope she knows that she doesn't deserve the pressure to fit into a mold.

And if that means she is authentically and genuinely feeling more tame and "conventional"? Then that's fine- as long as that is her honest choice. God knows I have felt the pressure to be something I'm not, in a changed, professional environment.

3 points in and ready for more

Didymus
1 minute ago, mariomania1234 said:

I don't see this as all but you do you.

Well, then can you note the differences? :shrug:

1 minute ago, Antichrist said:

what if that's the state of mind she's at now? do you want her to be something she's not just so you'd enjoy her more? i personally ain't really here for all that she's doing lately either, but hey, it's her life, let the girl live.

I'm not saying I want her to be someone else. I'm just noting that she seems to have found a permanent "version" of herself, a "vibe" in which she will continue to stay, do interviews in, release music in, promote projects in, etc.

I'm fine with that, that's just my conclusion, against people who argue that she'll surprise us all with a new character next time or whatever. I just don't think that's gonna happen. I think she's satisfied. Like she said: being a mom is more important to her right now than her career. So how can you still claim with absolute certainty that she still cares about blowing our socks off next year or whatever?

Archived