Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
question

If ARTPOP had been released by an underground artist...

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

As we all know, 1) ARTPOP discusses things about the media, pop culture and some would argue that it underneath all of the neon colors, eye-catching images and the loud instrumentals, it has subtle nuances of irony.

2) Some songs are characteristic of pop (Do What U Want, Venus etc being songs that follow the usual pop structure, are mainstream-sounding and have plenty of hooks), while some are a more altered, unconventional, wilder approach of it (like Swine or Aura).

Let's take the underground pop scenes at this moment. Sophie, Charli XCX, St Vincent, Poppy are all artist that 1) make electronic and unconventional music 2) play with pop culture archetypes, use the formulaic pop song structure but also alter it, often in ironic ways. Does it sound familiar to you? :ohwell:

Now let's take a look at the metacritic pages of the last album of the artists I listed and compare them with ARTPOP. Again, all of these artists are appreciated for their unique vision on music and make distorted, exaggerated and aggressive pop-inspired music

220px-OilSOPHIE.jpg Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides by Sophie: 86

Pop%202.jpg Pop 2 by Charli XCX: 84

af17e595.jpg Number 1 Angel by Charli XCX: 73

220px-St_Vincent_-_Masseduction.png Masseduction by St Vincent: 88

Now let's take a look on ARTPOP

220px-Artpop_cover.png ARTPOP by Lady Gaga: 61

Some would say that this differentiation happened because of music's quality. As someone who heard most of these albums, I can say this is not the case (in my opinion).

My points is, underground artists are approached with much more ease by critics than established ones. If ARTPOP had been released by an underground artist I believe it it would have been praised for clever references and uniqueness. If ARTPOP had been released by an indie artist, I think it could have end up with the same acclaim as the others listed above. :tea:

From this perspective, yes, ARTPOP was ahead of its time. It kind of premeditated the rise PC music and the things that happen in the underground pop scene now. I'm not saying it directly caused those trends, nor that those artists tried to duplicate ARTPOP, but I can see traces of ARTPOP in the works of the artists I listed.

Do you agree? Would ARTPOP been appreciated more (or less) in different circumstances? Do you think the reception of one album is the objective reflection of its quality or is influenced by hype, expectations, preconceived opinions? Do you find similarities between the albums I listed and ARTPOP (if so which ones)? 

AStarIsBorn21

I agree that critics would be much easier to an underground/less popular artist. But ARTPOP does have its flaws as a collection of work (lack of cohesion being a main one) that would probably still hold it back from being as highly rated as the Sophie album or Pop 2. Atleast that’s what I think. 

DONAJENDRO

ARTPOP is nowhere near as good as the albums listed above it, but I agree that critics were and continue to be especially harsh on Gaga (Pitchfork giving Joanne a 6.9 and not a 7 :poot:). 

Mad Onna

I've felt that if Joanne were released by an indie newcomer, it would have been better received by music critics, but I'm sorry, much as I personally enjoy it, ARTPOP is a damn mess and deserved the reviews that it got.

GhettoFabulous

Yes lol also I think if she was underground she’d have more control and her vision would’ve been carried out better without label fights etc. :lolly:cuz we all know the original ARTPOP was comepletly different to what we actually got like girll....:lana:

Smother Em Eh

Yes if ARTPOP were to be released by some underground or indie Artist, it would definitely be rated much higher. It would also probably be praised to the high heavens for its ambition, creativity & uniqueness. The criticism wouldn’t be as strong. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Archived