Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

I don't like the vocals on 'Shallow'

Notget

Featured Posts

DONAJENDRO
Just now, JR Gg said:

The same pointless post you posted when you referenced a tweet as news that WDYDT was going to be released as a single. :ladyhaha:

u really thought that was a serious thread huh, stay on topic queen!

Mad Onna

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DONAJENDRO said:

u really thought that was a serious thread huh, stay on topic queen!

Yeah, how pointless was that :rip:

DONAJENDRO
Just now, JR Gg said:

Yeah, how pointless was that :rip:

not on the level of discouraging discussion of a song by calling it hate but ok

Mad Onna

38 minutes ago, GhettoFabulous said:

All I’m saying is I wish we got the trailer version... :madge: like those vocals made a bitch moist then the official  release gave blue balls :madge:. While they’re at it we need the too far too gone version with Gaga like girl :madge::madge:

LMAO

lives behind the aura

32 minutes ago, JR Gg said:

The same pointless post you posted when you referenced a tweet as news that WDYDT was going to be released as a single. :ladyhaha:

auch, how to clock hoes :nooo:

Ot:

I dont exactly live for the vocals, but it's not exactly easy to sing that jump from the verse to chorus. I hope she doesn't squeeze so much and sounds nasal live. You can't really sing it in a low position and then expect that the high voice comes effortless. You have to already be in a high position. But people seem to like the edge of her voice.

I know what you mean with her vocals. It can be grating at times. But that is part of her identity. That other video someone posted on page 1 sounds pleasant enough but basic and generic af and would flop because of it.

Having said that, I don't think Shallow's vocals are that grating. The first chorus kind of is, but the rest is fine. To me, grating is Joanne album. Shallow probably is the closest to Joanne vocals from this album but it's still much better.

8 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

I know what you mean with her vocals. It can be grating at times. But that is part of her identity. That other video someone posted on page 1 sounds pleasant enough but basic and generic af and would flop because of it.

Having said that, I don't think Shallow's vocals are that grating. The first chorus kind of is, but the rest is fine. To me, grating is Joanne album. Shallow probably is the closest to Joanne vocals from this album but it's still much better.

If you watch the interviews on Joanne era, in the beginning she sounded awfully nasal and raspy, as well as barely talking without vocal fry. The worst that comes to my mind is that one which she's with a blaser, shades and is sitted with crossed legs (lool, dont remember which radio) and the Howard Stern.

Which never is in any way indicator of vocal health. But in her case, id say it's not so much related to vocal chords but vocal fatigue cause of muscle tension due to Fibro. That added to the fact that she uses too much muscle, she sings with both tension in the abdomen as her tongue.

But by the time JWT kicked in she was much better already. And in this CD she sings much freer. But it's normal that a song written in that time has that muscle memory.

Just now, Killa said:

If you watch the interviews on Joanne era, in the beginning she sounded awfully nasal and raspy, as well as barely talking without vocal fry. The worst that comes to my mind is that one which she's with a blaser, shades and is sitted with crossed legs (lool, dont remember which radio) and the Howard Stern.

Which never is in any way indicator of vocal health. But in her case, id say it's not so much related to vocal chords but vocal fatigue cause of muscle tension due to Fibro. That added to the fact that she uses too much muscle, she sings with both tension in the abdomen as her tongue.

But by the time JWT kicked in she was much better already. And in this CD she sings much freer. But it's normal that a song written in that time has that muscle memory.

Interesting. I alwasy assumed she sang that way on purpose because she was going for a rock/country sound. I wish Ronson or that itnerscop guy had suggested she re do it. Because I can listen the live performances of MR all day but can't stand the recorded one.

RudraCNG

Tbh I prefer MUCH more the vocals in that first trailer

At 1.58.

Idk why they changed it, the final version sounds worse IMO.

2 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

Interesting. I alwasy assumed she sang that way on purpose because she was going for a rock/country sound. I wish Ronson or that itnerscop guy had suggested she re do it. Because I can listen the live performances of MR all day but can't stand the recorded one.

Well i think she was also going for a raspy sound. But the way she sings in Joanne is a bit more than just that.

I base my analysis on a simple fact. The way she sings wastes too much air, but the voice doesn't sound breathy, instead you overpower you vocal folds with air. It's what we usually feel with a pushed sound.

In practice, in the studio, this is no good. It's not really easy to capture cause the sound is big but you're exciting too much high harmonics but you're voice doesn't sound brilliant, instead sounds tired.

I'd say it's one of the reasons the  mixes in Joanne aren't really good.

lol sorry for the digression.

Supersonic

Acclaimed vocalists and vocal experts: Lady Gaga is an A-Grade vocalist with amazing versatility, she really understands how to healtily manipulate her voice into the utmost extremes and hardly has any technical faults

Random GGD user that watched one vocal range video on YouTube (that doesn't even list what note is currently sung): Idk she sounds like she's pushing her voice and it's totally nasal ://////

MonsterPaws

I think the vocals fit the scene when she was on stage and nervous.

I didn't like the "In the shaaaa shaa-llow in the sha-sha-shallow" part. It was...well....shallow :emma: (don't kill me plz).

45 minutes ago, Killa said:

Is that the one where she also sings PI on a piano? Because I honestly think that's one of her worst vocal performances ever along with some TIHTY ones :cryga: In fact, it's on a video compilation called "Gaga's voice without autotune" and I'm like whyyyyyy

I remember when PI was aired and she was sounding bad on every performance :selena: I actually never got the appeal of the song Joanne, it was imo the most grating one

Anderson123
48 minutes ago, RudraCNG said:

Tbh I prefer MUCH more the vocals in that first trailer

At 1.58.

Idk why they changed it, the final version sounds worse IMO.

They probably mastered the vocals just for the trailer and wanted to keep the live one for the album since it's the vibe they were going for with the cheering and everything. I just love what we got to be honest, I don't get why fans always get bothered by little details.

Archived