💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

ASIB & The White Elephant In The Room

Pantera

Featured Posts

The cartoonish cruelty that has become the current political environment can feel suffocating even for the most mild person, and so sometimes we must escape. My escape, more often than not, is film. Film is immersive, putting you in a dark room and engaging one’s sight, hearing and imagination. When done well, film can suspend all reality for the sake of a story that dares to make you feel something. A Star is Born attempts to be such a film, but fails for those a bit too engaged with the reality of where the film’s fantasy is set.

A Star is Born was not unenjoyable, because of the quality of the film. But to me, it also teetered on unwatchable, because the culture I was asked to empathize with, too often produces folks who, while they relate and enjoy the music and personas of Ally and Jackson Maine, also practice white nationalism.

For the entire film, I held my breath waiting to be insulted or offended by something overlooked by the storytellers. The Black characters that show up in the film — played by Dave Chappelle, Eddie Griffin, Shangela and Lunelle — felt like lazy ways to address the white supremacist elephant in the room. As if the thought was, perhaps if we add some Black folks in the film, people will ignore that we have built a film catering to Trump’s America and a type of white nationalism often disguised as patriotism without ever soulfully addressing reality even in one passing scene.

This type of apolitical silence for fear of professional failure, is not a new space for country music or its culture to occupy. Stars like Reba McEntire and Dolly Parton, have stayed notoriously neutral on politically charged topics such as war, immigration, and race; while The Dixie Chicks were infamously blacklisted by the country music establishment for criticizing former Republican president, George W. Bush, over the Iraq War.

http://afropunk.com/2018/11/a-star-is-born/

Spoiler

he bought the soundtrack 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PoetsTryinWrite
4 minutes ago, Pantera said:

For the entire film, I held my breath waiting to be insulted or offended by something overlooked by the storytellers.

And this is his exact problem. He expects to be offended so he will be.

I've been waiting for the "ASIB advocates white supremacy" article. Ridiculous.

The running theme of the film is the disease of alcoholism and speaking as a recovering alcoholic I can tell you that the disease doesn't discriminate races.

Defend Your Humanity.

JazzGa

Wtf is this guy's argument? That ASIB is cinematic excellence BUT THEY DON'T ADDRESS MASS SHOOTINGS ENOUGH? Films would be AWFUL if their makers just shoehorned every single topical politik-du-jour into the plotline just to appease every navel-gazing thinkpiece blogger. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

ferretti

Thank you, next.

Spoiler

But seriously, I just don't think every single movie needs to address these issues head on. I understand that 'country music white America' is the largest Trump base, but not everyone there is that way. The main characters in this movie have diverse friends and give no indication they fall pray to that type of white nationalism themselves. It's unfortunate America (and the world) is so messed up right now, but I truly don't want every film to have to react to that just because it features white actors in America, yah know?

disco stick tester, inquire within

Bonkers

There can be 100 white elephants in the room, but only one believes in you. His name is Bradley Cooper, but that's irrelephant. 

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

Radio Ga Ga

i read the article and what i got from it is that because ASIB has country music and it didn't talk about race, it's offensive? :interestinga:

Vitleysingur
21 hours ago, Pantera said:

And this is the beginning. There will be more backlash right before the Oscars. It happens.

Not a flopped site like Afropunk lol

Just IGNORE those woke trash and don't give them clicks.

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.

Just now, Vitleysingur said:

Not a flopped site like Afropunk lol

Sure. But you know bigger media outlets will pick up the story. I’m sure they’ll make the case of not having enough women in the film. They’ll address the MeToo movement too. They’ll find whatever.

This is my problem with forced diversity, it feels forced just for the sake of diversity.

I see it in many movies and tv shows now..

In Grey's Anatomy they brought many diverse actors/characters but started to kick them out one by one.. and who are left? the white.. but hey! at least they kept the Muslim girl to run after a dog and you never saw her back since then :awkney:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

The heart of the movie is clearly  not where he wants to put it. The bar scenes are simply something that cant exist in the white nationalism culture. Other than that, it is a tragic love story between 2 persons. They are white, but thats kinda all. :bye:

9 minutes ago, Pantera said:

Sure. But you know bigger media outlets will pick up the story. I’m sure they’ll make the case of not having enough women in the film. They’ll address the MeToo movement too. They’ll find whatever.

I dont think they will because even in this article he cant find anything in the movie to back up his arguments. He actually mentions the things that does the opposite because he really cant find anything to sustain his claims. :toofunny:

GhettoFabulous

I am so sick of this fake outrage fake woke pin and point  era :madge::awkney: like I don’t see why EVERYTHING now needs to be political or something and I know damn well if it was more political they’d say they are making money off of struggles etc. 

Phaye Monster

A film that deals with major issues such as addiction, codependency and mental health problems... and this person decides that it’s about “white nationalism”

there’s always going to be hate, we might as well get used to it, even if some articles are ridiculous

I'm an ARTPOP bitch, baby

Archived