💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Bohemian Rhapsody

Villanelle

Featured Posts

GoldenPonyboy
2 hours ago, Adarsh Soni said:

I completely get what you're saying, but winning an Oscar or a golden globe is not about the acting. Its the politics of the academy. During TIHTY we had it against us, this time we have it by our side. Ive seen countless academy members praise the movie on twitter. 

But him playing freddie gives him an edge because he was a well respected singer in the industry. He is a legend and i feel like that might play a bit in the politics of it all. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

But him playing freddie gives him an edge because he was a well respected singer in the industry. He is a legend and i feel like that might play a bit in the politics of it all. 

Freddie is a legend in the music industry. Rami is nowhere near as respected as Bradley in the movie industry. So, nope, if anyone can upset Bradley for Best Actor, it's gonna be Christian Bale in Vice. :gaysia:

37 minutes ago, Gaga2017 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody was a better movie than ASIB

I want what you're smoking :hor:

Regina George
2 hours ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

Malek has it in the bag. The performance itself was good but since he played a historical figure he has an edge i think. 

The movie itself was alright. I kinda felt that they reduced the gay community to a bunch of horny dudes with mustaches and a lifestyle. I felt like there was something missing in that part of him being gay amd the internal struggle. It should have been a bigger part of the movie IMHO because it made it seem like the problems in the band was because of this “gay lifestyle” but they never got into it enough. That kinda annoyed me if that made sense. 

Ammm that’s exactly what they didn’t do with gay community. With this movie they showed the gay scene in the 80s that was kinda wild and everyone knows it BUT they also showed that not every gay is like that by introducing Freddies last partner who is not into that and who is just normal, hard-working, not sex obsessed man. They showed that even Freddie was surprised by his harsh reaction when he tried to touch him. They did this because Freddie, before meeting him, never get a change to see love in a gay world because he was surrounded by wrong people. He never knew better until he met him. Also the struggle of him being gay is literally shown through entire movie. Mary (biggest love of his life) leaving him, other guys finding happiness with kids and families while he couldn’t do it, contant loneliness he felt, his fear of family knowing.. etc.. They literally showed how he never saw those people as friends but he still invited them to parties just because he felt lonely..

Regina George
16 minutes ago, lance13 said:

I saw it yesterday and liked it, but didn't love it. If any movie deserves an R rating it would be a movie about Freddie Mercury. Giving it a PG13 rating felt like they watered it down. It's like when you want a  REALLY good horror movie and then they slap a PG13 rating on it so that it appeals to the masses......kinda disappointing. The acting is good and of course the music is AWESOME, but if you want sex, drugs, and rock and roll.......you're only going to get 1 out of the 3. It felt like an episode of VH1s Behind the Music. I also read where there are alot of inaccuracies. For example, Freddie didn't get his HIV diagnosis until 2 years after Live Aid, but it's completely different in the film. Worth seeing though even if it's just for the music. 

But Freddie never wanted his private life to be completely shown. That would be just disrespectful to him and his legacy. That is not what Freddie wanted. They wanted to shown everything before live AID because that was peak of their career and they wanted to end movie with that - that’s because they put some stuff before the performance. They didn’t shy away from anything (his sexuality, drugs, partying) but they still did that respectfully. I feel like every person that actually followed Freddies career would like this movie because it’s what he would want us to see. 

Illuminati Freak
14 minutes ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

My issue with it is the way it was placed in the movie it made it seem as the gays were the villans that took freddie from the band and changed him. And then when he got away from the “toxic” gays he went with the band again. 

I fully agree with you there. 

GoldenPonyboy
28 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

Ammm that’s exactly what they didn’t do with gay community. With this movie they showed the gay scene in the 80s that was kinda wild and everyone knows it BUT they also showed that not every gay is like that by introducing Freddies last partner who is not into that and who is just normal, hard-working, not sex obsessed man. They showed that even Freddie was surprised by his harsh reaction when he tried to touch him. They did this because Freddie, before meeting him, never get a change to see love in a gay world because he was surrounded by wrong people. He never knew better until he met him. Also the struggle of him being gay is literally shown through entire movie. Mary (biggest love of his life) leaving him, other guys finding happiness with kids and families while he couldn’t do it, contant loneliness he felt, his fear of family knowing.. etc.. They literally showed how he never saw those people as friends but he still invited them to parties just because he felt lonely..

But thats the thing mary was not the biggest love of his life since he was gay and they pushed the narrative of good gays and bad gays. Freddie was fabulous and feminine, yet they portrayed the positive side of the gay community as wanting a hetero normative life. Freddie wanted to be a private person but he was also hiding and lying about who he truly was, im assuming, because of shame for being his true self in a very masculine space like rock and roll. To me it felt like they were pushing a narative of he was not one of “those” gays at the core and he was currupted. Its almost like the movie made it seem like his sexuality was a choice. I dont know, im a bit torn about it. Being part of the gay community i understand the past and lifestyle depicted in the movie because i have prior knowledge. However, i fear most of the GP would see it the way i explained, although i do see your point and agree with kost of it

Regina George
24 minutes ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

But thats the thing mary was not the biggest love of his life since he was gay and they pushed the narrative of good gays and bad gays. Freddie was fabulous and feminine, yet they portrayed the positive side of the gay community as wanting a hetero normative life. Freddie wanted to be a private person but he was also hiding and lying about who he truly was, im assuming, because of shame for being his true self in a very masculine space like rock and roll. To me it felt like they were pushing a narative of he was not one of “those” gays at the core and he was currupted. Its almost like the movie made it seem like his sexuality was a choice. I dont know, im a bit torn about it. Being part of the gay community i understand the past and lifestyle depicted in the movie because i have prior knowledge. However, i fear most of the GP would see it the way i explained, although i do see your point and agree with kost of it

What? Sorry to ask but are you familiar with real Freddie? Mary WAS the biggest love of his live. He said it many times when he was alive even when he was with his last partner. You can be gay but be in love with a woman. He left everything to her after his death.. Everything. She is the only person that he personally told where he’d like his ashes to be. She is the only person he every completely trusted. If you ask me they did’t build up their relationship enough... I totally disagree with you. Sorry but they never made it seem like it’s a choice for him. They showed him struggling through his whole life with this. First time he met Mary in the movie, guy walked beside them and Freddie looked at him as if he liked him. Freddie tried to be straight and he wanted to at least be bisexual because he was scared. I went with straight friends ( I’m straight girl myself) and they all said how it was not fair that he couldn’t fully express his sexuality.. They understood him. 

RAMROD
2 hours ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

My issue with it is the way it was placed in the movie it made it seem as the gays were the villans that took freddie from the band and changed him. And then when he got away from the “toxic” gays he went with the band again. 

So what, not all gays are saints, besides that is what happened in his life, it is not personal attack. If you fear this will form opinion of people about gay peope, you are likely to have more issues to take care of actually :shrug:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

LaLuna

Haven't seen it yet because I was busy, but I definitely will next week. 

The reviews aren't great but I don't care. Apparently Rami Malek does an amazing job at portraying Freddie and just the concert scenes are worth the price of admission.

I don't think we should see it as a threat to ASIB. Both movies have something going for them and we should just enjoy them.

25 minutes ago, LaLuna said:

Haven't seen it yet because I was busy, but I definitely will next week. 

The reviews aren't great but I don't care. Apparently Rami Malek does an amazing job at portraying Freddie and just the concert scenes are worth the price of admission.

I don't think we should see it as a threat to ASIB. Both movies have something going for them and we should just enjoy them.

Just saw it, and it's an amazing movie, I don't even know what's movie of the year for me; this year is so strong already and besides BlackKklansman, ASIB, and this everything else is still to be released:rip:

Edit: Wait, I forgot about First Man already; says it all tbh :rip:

GoldenPonyboy
2 hours ago, ReginaGeorge said:

What? Sorry to ask but are you familiar with real Freddie? Mary WAS the biggest love of his live. He said it many times when he was alive even when he was with his last partner. You can be gay but be in love with a woman. He left everything to her after his death.. Everything. She is the only person that he personally told where he’d like his ashes to be. She is the only person he every completely trusted. If you ask me they did’t build up their relationship enough... I totally disagree with you. Sorry but they never made it seem like it’s a choice for him. They showed him struggling through his whole life with this. First time he met Mary in the movie, guy walked beside them and Freddie looked at him as if he liked him. Freddie tried to be straight and he wanted to at least be bisexual because he was scared. I went with straight friends ( I’m straight girl myself) and they all said how it was not fair that he couldn’t fully express his sexuality.. They understood him. 

I relate a lot to Freddie actually and I spent many years lying to myself about my own sexuality that I wished that the movie portrayed more of that inner struggle and how he was in love with mary and why that meant he never knew love in his true self. I agree with you that his relationship with Mary should have been developped more because from the movie itself they made it seem like she was his first girlfriend who he never got over because he felt guilty for being gay and not being able to be with her fully. I only saw the movie once and this is the impression that I got leaving the theater. Maybe that will change upon a second viewing. I loved the movie and plan on seeing it again, so who knows. I wish that they would have shown him learn about gay culture back then and explain a bit more why is was how it was. To a non gay culture public, the movie kind of throws Freddie suddenly into this gay party culture and it is never explained why it is the way it is. and I feel like one short scene between Freddie and a friend talking about gay culture could have easily fixed that problem. 

2 hours ago, RAMROD said:

So what, not all gays are saints, besides that is what happened in his life, it is not personal attack. If you fear this will form opinion of people about gay peope, you are likely to have more issues to take care of actually :shrug:

I know not all gays are saint. I did not feel like it was a personnal attack, but like a missed opportunity for the movie to show why this type of culture was attractive to a man like Freddie at the time he was in his life. also, don't assume I have internalized issues from a comment I made about a movie, I'm not arguing but giving a perspective and I liked hearing the perspectives of others and analyzing the movie. I'm a BIG movie fan and I like to pick apart a lot of the writing. 

SpookyKid

Absolutely loved it :heart: almost cried when Show Must Go On came on during the credits

Life has a hopeful undertone |-/

Illuminati Freak

I just think for a two hour movie on a very expansive career of a rock God and band they were not going to be able to please everyone. There was so much amazing Queen music and album eras that were skipped over as well. It's nearly impossible to cover absolutely everything in a 2 hour movie. Some hardcore Queen fans are upset about them just choosing to highlight the main hit songs. As for them making Paul look like the villain he kinda was. He sold his story to the tabloids to make money off Freddie if that isn't the definition of a shady Queen I dunno what is. Paul did not have Freddie's best interests at heart in the end. The other members of Queen fully admitted recently in an interview they disliked Paul very much and he was not a nice guy to be around and caused a lot of drama. The Queen members also said the actor who played Paul nailed the part so dead on that they didn't go near the actor until he was done all his scenes because it was very painful and hard to watch. The portrayal brought up a lot of old bad feelings and memories.

Archived