news

US Pop Radio Refusing to Spin Shallow - “Doesn’t sound like top 40”

Stef

Featured Posts

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RAMROD

It is pop radio, what do you expect? They only wanna play popular sounds. It is the same kind of policy all over the world. 

Besides, it is for the better. Shall it will get nominated for Best Original Music at Oscars and win kt, nobody can talk it down for being "too popular and overplayed". So not sure why y'all mad? :shrug:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

On 11/1/2018 at 5:02 PM, Admin said:

Yes because if Adele sang it, it would have a much more radio-friendly vocals, production, and structure.

Did you listen to the clip? The reason why they're not playing Shallow is because it has Lady gaga's name on it. That's it. 

ShayCristoforo

It would be a break from the same old stuff. No offence to them, but I'm not trynna hear Shawn Mendes or Ariana 62 times per hour

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Basically, radio is petrified of people turning off, so they play the same 50 songs over and over again. Something that sounds different is a risk. Which is why radio is a mush.

gumzy3000
On 11/1/2018 at 4:54 PM, Admin said:

I wish Gaga all the success in the world and obviously want "Shallow" to smash, but I don't really see anything wrong with it? I mean, it's not really a pop song?

The idea is that if pop radio or top 40 radio is not playing new genres or new music that is in demand by the GP, the radio as a whole will not evolve and continue to play repetitive music. Considering that most of the radio now is filled with lame mumble rap and basic songs from Maroon 5, I can understand why many would be upset that the radio is intentionally not playing a unique song like Shallow.

Also, radio stations have changed in the past in regards to what they play. 2000's radio was dominated by pop rock, RnB and Hip Hop. Obviously the landscape is different now because the GP wants something else. Weirdly enough, the GP also likes Shallow but it is almost like radio is not willing to make Gaga big again or even give her a fair chance. Super sad situation! :wtf: 

trolly troll troll

On 11/1/2018 at 3:54 PM, Admin said:

I wish Gaga all the success in the world and obviously want "Shallow" to smash, but I don't really see anything wrong with it? I mean, it's not really a pop song?

No, but pop is meant to reflect the popular music of the moment and whether they like that or not Shallow is that. The numbers aren't lying unless they'd like to produce some different ones lol You're right, it's more folksy, but if they played Bodak Yellow or now Money (as I'm sure they did) genre affiliation is really not an issue.

Though no one follows radio anyway anymore so :vegas: Gaga's base is pretty much all on streaming now

OysterBaby

Our local adult "variety" station played Shallow yesterday. It is in the top 2 most popular stations here and they play pop, classic rock, a little bit of country

bowlsofbrett

I just heard "Shallow" being played on 107.5 kzl here in North Carolina. It's one of our biggest top 40 stations where I live.

Gaga4stef

Promotion, promotion, promotion.

I'm sad and disappointed that I have yet to hear a single track from ASIB on the radio here (Mpls area). Granted I don't listen to radio a lot due to their generic, repetitive playlists. But is anyone promoting the songs? There are other formats on the radio besides Top 40. 

Lady Gaga is too good. The "sheep" who follow the trends don't care about the quality of an artist's work. They are missing out on so much. 

Hopefully our queen doesn't care about such things as charts etc and just keeps doing what she's doing. She and her work are amazing. It takes the masses time to get over their "dumbing down" listening ways and realize what they have been missing.

Every time we say goodbye baby it hurts

Archived