Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
question

Why does BBC Radio 1 refuse to play Shallow?

YourEvilTwin

Featured Posts

YourEvilTwin

Saw this tweet, and was surprised by all the comments. Isn't it the case that Radio 1 has to play all the top songs on the chart anyway, with the exception of political songs during election seasons? So why do they refuse to play it?

IAmNotHere1997

Because it's a country rock by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. And they are a CHR radio station, with audience of 15-29 age group. People will skip their station if they hear Shallow, so that's gonna affect them.

RahrahWitch

They'll only play what they think will get Younger people to tune in to.

Their loss, the songs a massive hit.

keith ink
5 minutes ago, prince said:

Because she's now over 30

I dont think her age is whats keeping radio stations from playing shallow. Its the fact that shallow is a country song and that it sounds so didfferently from what their audience (teens) expects to hear from them. 

Sia is approaching 40 when radio spammed her hits a few years back. Whats your point?

thatfoxyfeeling

It's got nothing to do with her age, it just doesn't fit the demographic that listen to Radio 1. It's already a hit, LG6 lead single will snatch the radio too. 

ShockPop
23 minutes ago, gabrielflorin01 said:

Because it's a country rock by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. And they are a CHR radio station, with audience of 15-29 age group. People will skip their station if they hear Shallow, so that's gonna affect them.

Nothing affects them. It's not a commercial station so they don't have to please advertisers with ratings.

Besides which, I pay my license fee to them and shallow is the most popular song in the country right now... how can they lose listeners by playing what's popular?

Gagadonna
47 minutes ago, gabrielflorin01 said:

22-29 won't 

1 hour ago, YourEvilTwin said:

Saw this tweet, and was surprised by all the comments. Isn't it the case that Radio 1 has to play all the top songs on the chart anyway, with the exception of political songs during election seasons? So why do they refuse to play it?

The song is literally EVERYWHERE here in the UK though... Number one this week! ❤️🕺🏻

Monster in Scotland

Glamourpuss

Because they are ageist. The likes of Fearne Cotton only want to play what's cool. If it's something like Mumford and Sons, Kings of Leon, or some shitty indie band they'll play it. I remember when she played You and I for the first time and she was like "I don't think I like it because it sounds too country". I was like bitch, for a start that's not even country and secondly maybe if you were open minded to other genres your music taste might expand. (I haven't listened in years until recently. It's alot of mumble rap now but my point still stands unfortunately). 

Madonna said they were ageist and wouldn't play her music and I really agree with her. Radio 1 is like a cool kid who doesn't want to be seen with her parents because they'll ruin their reputation.

Archived