💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should straights be able to play gay roles?

loathereality

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

Okay with that specifically, from what I've heard, the role she was playing was about a woman that wanted to transition to a man, but never did. I don't know how if that's completely true, but if it is, then I think that whole debate was frankly, quite stupid. If her role involved a woman wanting to transition, but not getting the chance to, then she is a woman (biologically and anatomically speaking), so Scarlett could have done that role.

In my opinion, I think it's a little trickier with trans roles because unlike sexuality, gender identity and transition from one gender to another involves your physical appearance (similar to race). While I do definitely believe that trans actors need more attention and more opportunities, I still believe that straight actors (if they are respectful and are able to do their research) should be able to play them.

Again, I think the only exception to this is race because it's not like you can change your skin tone or anything. 

I just wanted to add that nobody cared when Eddie Redmayne played a trans in the Danish Girl.

I think the Scarlette issue is more because she’s a woman, it’s the sjw hypocrisy once again.. 

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hoeanne
2 hours ago, M Monstre said:

Okay with that specifically, from what I've heard, the role she was playing was about a woman that wanted to transition to a man, but never didï»ż.ï»żÂ I don't know how if that's completely true, but if it is, then I think that whole debate was frankly, quite stupid. If her role involved a woman wanting to transition, but not getting the chance to, then she is a woman (biologically and anatomically speaking), so Scarlett could have done that role.

That's not how that works. Trans people who can't surgically transition are just as valid as those that do. The point those surgeries isn't to turn someone into something else, it's to affirm who they already know they are.

Reality
2 minutes ago, Hoeanne said:

That's not how that works. Trans people who can't surgically transition are just as valid as those that do. The point those surgeries isn't to turn someone into something else, it's to affirm who they already know they are.

That is why I specified *biologically and anatomically*.

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

Hoeanne
17 minutes ago, River said:

I just wanted to add that nobody cared when Eddie Redmayne played a trans in the Danish Girl.

Yes they did. Just because the trans community was ignored doesn't mean they've been quiet.

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/regressive-reductive-and-harmful-a-trans-womans-take-on-tom-hoopers-embarrassing-danish-girl-213499/

Economy
11 hours ago, Wigless said:

yes

This! It's as simple as that

It's acting it's no big deal

I'm all for making an effort to hire real gay actors when possible since often they may have more difficulty getting roles but if the best suited person for that role that's available happens to be straight I don't see the issue

Hoeanne
1 minute ago, M Monstre said:

That is why I specified *biologically and anatomically*.

If your issue is that you want the actor who's cast to be a one-to-one exact representation of their character's physical reality then casting ScarJo still doesn't make sense. Tex was a a short, big, butch guy who looks nothing like ScarJo.

tumblr_n0u8o8TqFk1rr5swxo1_1280.jpg?w=50

Reality
4 minutes ago, Hoeanne said:

If your issue is that you want the actor who's cast to be a one-to-one exact representation of their character's physical reality then casting ScarJo still doesn't make sense. Tex was a a short, big, butch guy who looks nothing like ScarJo.

tumblr_n0u8o8TqFk1rr5swxo1_1280.jpg?w=50

I never stated that. I don't get what you're trying to say.

From what I understand, Scarlett was supposed to play a woman who wanted to transition to a man, but never got the chance to. I'm not saying that that character isn't a man because whether you transition or not, if you identify as a male, then you are a male. For the sake of simplifying things, I'm calling the character a "woman" because I wanted to show people that Scarlett could play that character because she, herself, is a woman and she could act as if she wanted to be a man.

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

Kinda off topic?: I never believed it before but yes, this site is indeed Conservative Daily.

Hoeanne
1 minute ago, M Monstre said:

I never stated that. I don't get what you're trying to say.

From what I understand, Scarlett was supposed to play a woman who wanted to transition to a man, but never got the chance to. I'm not saying that that character isn't a man because whether you transition or not, if you identify as a male, then you are a male. For the sake of simplifying things, I'm calling the character a "woman" because I wanted to show people that Scarlett could play that character because she, herself, is a woman and she could act as if she wanted to be a man.

In one sentence you say that Tex is a man, but in the next you claim he was actually a woman. Which is it?

My point was that if you want him to be played by a woman because he never had sexual reconstructive surgery because that would more "accurately" represent his physical body, then ScarJo is still not the right choice because she looks absolutely nothing like him.

Hoeanne

Have any of the people giving condescending relies in here ever actually tried to make a career in an industry that explicitly doesn't hire you because you're queer?

loathereality
8 minutes ago, Vergil said:

Kinda off topic?: I never believed it before but yes, this site is indeed Conservative Daily.

why :D

alextruper17

This shouldn't even be a question. When you act you show your skills to play a character. If a person is good playing for a certain character, his o her sexual preference is not relevant. His or her talent is.

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

Archived