Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should straights be able to play gay roles?

loathereality

Featured Posts

raragaga

yeah why not? promote acceptance and empathy

xoxo

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hoeanne

As a gay actor: No. It's ****ing impossible to get cast as an openly gay actor when all the gay roles go to straight actors looking to "explore their range" and we get passed over for straight roles because it's not "believable" that we could play straight. Every acting class, and most local theatre companies, are chocked full of queer actors. Yet the top tier of the industry is almost exclusively straight (and closeted) men. Why?

Andreu

1. Yes, the point of acting is pretending to be who you're not.

2. Do you know every actor's sexual orientation? No, therefore we can't know.

Yes as long as they are respectful roles that dont fall into stereotypes.

Any promo is good promo anyway

RadioIsOurs

I mean...if we don't allow gays to be able to play straight roles, half of Hollywood will be out of job, so I guess we can't be hypocritical here :ohwell:

I mean Cam from Modern Family is played by a straight man and its actually the funniest character on TV.. :party:

SILENT HILL

There’s a reason it’s called “acting.” You are playing someone you aren’t. Why wouldn’t it be okay? :saladga:

ryhanna

Of course. 

I'm also of the opinion that openly gay actors obviously deserve more recognition, though. Actors shouldn't have to be forced to stay in the closet to be cast in leading roles. I'm sure there are many big name actors out there who are still told not to come out publicly because it could damage their ability to be seen as a believable straight character. 

But the answer to that isn't designating roles based on an actors' sexual orientation, it's changing the culture within Hollywood and the wider world that believes gay actors can't sell box office tickets. 

What really bugs me about this movement to not allow straight actors to play gay roles is that is really forces actors to make their personal lives public, and that's kind of ****ed up. In what other industry do you go into a job interview and have to verify to a potential employer that you are, in fact, gay? In what other industry do people get publicly criticised for not being gay enough for a job? 

Can Meryl Streep play an ABBA covers singer if she never was a part of the band?

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

NO!!!! GAY actors should ACT as GAY ROLES!!!11 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

The mere thought of this DISGUSTS ME!! This is how HOMOPHOBIC Hollywood is for not casting gay ACTORS to play GAY CHARACTERS.

Ugh i just wanna VOMIT just because of this thought!!111

zakariah

uhh yes, as long as the actor does their job right and connects with me, idc who’s playing the role. for instance, nick robinson played a gay character in love, simon and he absolutely nailed that performance

Archived