Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should straights be able to play gay roles?

loathereality

Featured Posts

KatieJudasGaga4
4 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

i just find it irritating that gays sometimes can’t play straight and i think too many gay roles are given to straight men. like, i loved Call Me By Your Name but neither of the actors could have been played by a gay actor? i just find it obnoxious of hollywood to rarely cast gays as gays

Didn't that guy from Mean Girls play a straight role?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality
2 minutes ago, loathereality said:

how abt scarlett johansson

What about Scarlett Johansson?? 

🃏🖤👹

PsychicGuru
8 minutes ago, Poissonche said:

YES. ****ING GOD. why is this a debate.

Retweet, repost, restan. :vegas:

Gaga's #1 fan

Tbh, I don't think there's a problem with straight actors playing gay roles. It's ACTING, it's supposed to be something you aren't. :vegas:

But the industry needs to give more opportunities to the LGBTQ actors. That's the problem here.

I mean, is there a problem with gay actors playing straight? :ladyhaha:

Reality
6 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

i just find it irritating that gays sometimes can’t play straight and i think too many gay roles are given to straight men. like, i loved Call Me By Your Name but neither of the actors could have been played by a gay actor? i just find it obnoxious of hollywood to rarely cast gays as gays

Hollywood should give LGBTQ actors more opportunities, but just because you're gay doesn't mean you can only play gay roles and just because you're straight doesn't mean you can only play straight roles. There have been plenty of gay actors who have played straight characters and straight actors who have played gay characters. 

🃏🖤👹

CyanDante
Just now, JR Gg said:

Tbh, I don't think there's a problem with straight actors playing gay roles. It's ACTING, it's supposed to be something you aren't. :vegas:

But the industry needs to give more opportunities to the LGBTQ actors. That's the problem here.

I mean, is there a problem with gay actors playing straight? :ladyhaha:

Exactly! If only gay roles are meted out to gay actors, there would be even fewer opportunities for lgbtq actors! And I don't think even they would want to be pigeonholed into a certain mold, just because of their sexuality. :interestinga:

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

Poissonche
13 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

yea but Armie Hammer is hot so who cares

loathereality
8 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

What about Scarlett Johansson?? 

she was going to play a trans role then it was a huge issue within the social media and the media then she gave up on the role

how is it different from this case

gypsy101
20 minutes ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

Didn't that guy from Mean Girls play a straight role?

not gonna lie

i forgot he was gay lol

Red Velvet
9 minutes ago, GypsyRomance said:

I mean Gay people are good actors pretending to be straights in pron :ohwell:

Ummm.. seriously?

It is cringe.

BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREA

GeeYewWhai

it's called ACTING. you are literally pretending to be someone you are not. This is so dumb

Nothing Happened

Yes. It's called acting for a reason. Gay people play straight people all the time, why shouldn't the reverse be true. Hire the best actor/actress for the role, it's that simple. Race is a different story though.

20 minutes ago, Brie Candy said:

Just watch it 

MTV isn't exactly a bastion of critical thinking, nor do two members of a community speak for the whole. My trans friends all hate this debate, because it subconsciously places trans people in a box where they can (in most people's minds) only play trans characters. As long as a cis character does their research and is respectful to the community why does it matter if they play trans roles? More exposure for transgender people in mainstream media, even if it isn't them acting, is a good thing that will lead to more acceptance for the community.

Not to mention trans people only make up 0.6% of americans. If you can find an actor/actress that is trans, the right ethnicity, age, etc, for your character that also outperforms the other actors then you should hire them. But realistically it is extremely unlikely. 

Archived