ASIB is a remake of Burlesque

shame

Featured Posts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Diamonster
On 10/15/2018 at 3:38 PM, MrA said:

ASIB is about Jackson's fall, not Ally's career.

Yeah totally, before watching the movie they were selling so much the "she had given up on herself and now she's given a chance" and like, it wasn't even that much about Ally

36 minutes ago, RadioIsOurs said:

They are actually remakes of Mariah's Glitter :ohwell:

1 minute ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

It's a remake of Glitter

how much this is true idk but i'm glad ASIB didn't remake Glitter's box office numbers and reviews :huntyga:

Screen-Shot-2018-10-16-at-8-39-04-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2018-10-16-at-8-39-16-PM.png

angels forever, forever angels

3 hours ago, Rio said:

I’m not talking about Evita. As for Evita, well, yeah, it did fairly well. But she’s still not a great actress. The fact she beat Frances McDormand and Glenn Close in that Best Actress category in 1996 just confuses me. Seen all three films and can’t say Madonna was as good as them. Evita’s the best thing she’s ever done, and even Evita got mixed to negative reviews. 

As for the films she’s directed, both apparently awful and have 28% and 13% on RT respectively. I haven’t seen them but I rest my case. She hasn’t had a great film career. Gaga’s looking promising already. Can you imagine the dark horror stories Gaga will be able to tell in her directorial efforts, with outfits and creatures!? I’m buzzed

As a horror fan, I endorse this and am perched for it if it ever happens

We kinda got a taste for what Gaga is capable of when she directed Marry the Night. That MV alone was a masterpiece. Weird, psychological but also haunting and meaningful with its delivery. 

I want Gaga to direct a movie so bad :giveup:

angels forever, forever angels

StrawberryBlond

The funny thing is, Burlesque clearly copies a lot of other movies. Its storyline is eerily familiar to that of Showgirls (without the explicit nudity, of course) and Coyote Ugly (about the same level of risque here). There's even moments that are direct rip-offs of other movies - Tess introduces the show by singing and then the first girl sings to Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend, which is extremely similar to Moulin Rouge while Zidler introduces the girls and then Nicole Kidman sings the same song. Then there's a direct copy of Chicago where Ali imagines that she's in the show looking exactly how she is, which is exactly what Roxy does in Chicago. There's even a shot-by-shot rip-off where Xtina sleeps with a guy and then sings a song afterwards about how she's found a man she can trust while a shot plays of them in bed with rain pouring down the windows...which is exactly what happens in Cabaret. Even Alan Cumming is in the movie playing basically the role that he's played in the Cabaret tour. It's really shocking how little originality the movie has and unlike ASIB, Xtina gets her dream gig in the first half hour, she doesn't grow or get better, she's just perfect from the start.

I think it was all just a big vanity project for Xtina. There's a whole mid section where basically nothing happens except her performing song after song at the club and everyone adoring her. It's clear she just wanted to put out more retro themed songs but didn't have enough ideas for a whole album so used a movie as an excuse to showcase them. You can tell she's not invested in being a good actress, it's so obvious that she's a singer just enjoying playing the role of a singer whereas Gaga really tries to combine the two. It's weird, I remember Xtina saying years before that she didn't want to do movie roles where she played a singer because it meant that she wouldn't be valued as an actress and that she turned down Valley of the Dolls because "it was just another singing role with no meat." Amazing how being down on your luck career-wise can make you change your mind.

Archived