new video

Charli XCX, Troye Sivan - 1999

monsterdino

Featured Posts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

Can't anyone see that this is a blatant rip-off of Anne Marie's 2002 song, which only got released a few months ago? I mean, it's only a difference of 3 years before, it deals with nostalgic references to songs and is about wishing to go back to that time? It deals with the same stuff only its beat isn't as good. It's alright, but listen to 2002 for the clearly superior song. Oh, well, at least we know this rip-off definitely won't go top ten like 2002 did.

25 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Can't anyone see that this is a blatant rip-off of Anne Marie's 2002 song, which only got released a few months ago? I mean, it's only a difference of 3 years before, it deals with nostalgic references to songs and is about wishing to go back to that time? It deals with the same stuff only its beat isn't as good. It's alright, but listen to 2002 for the clearly superior song. Oh, well, at least we know this rip-off definitely won't go top ten like 2002 did.

1999 is months old, with snippets starting to leak early summer, while the song is older than that.

You just didn't go back to the old neighborhood. Don't know how 2002 which is a basic radio song is better but okay

I like dancin', and ponies....

Original Diva
31 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

1999 is actually kinda old.. its only just been released though. 

excuse me no

StrawberryBlond
8 minutes ago, Sunny said:

1999 is months old, with snippets starting to leak early summer, while the song is older than that.

You just didn't go back to the old neighborhood. Don't know how 2002 which is a basic radio song is better but okay

And 2002 is even older, being released on April 20th, and obviously likely recorded for months before that. Anne Marie's been working on this album for quite a while, so goodness knows how old that song is. 2002 may be fairly generic but it's sweet and tries to make it about being nostalgic for being in love and bringing it all around to being in love with the same person in the present which is really sweet and makes it more substantial than just "I love this nostalgic decade." Also, Charli and Troye have only recently turned 26 and 23, meaning they were 7 and 4 at the time, so are too young to properly remember 1999 or even enjoy the media (particularly the films) they're referencing back then. They're just two young people using a mentally satisfying year as a title to try to get a hit. At least Anne Marie was singing about genuinely being 11 in 2002 which is much more credible and she didn't reference movies that she was too young to watch back then. I mean, I was born in 1989 and while I definitely remember the 90's, they are still limited memories as I was a little kid. So, when I hear about those who are borderline millenials/generation Z'ers talking about how nostalgic they are for the 90's, I just laugh. At their age, they should be singing about being nostalgic for like, 2005 or something.

5 minutes ago, Original Diva said:

1999 is actually kinda old.. its only just been released though. 

See above. I mean...they've both got Baby One More Time references. And fashion references. I think they even may have both had Baby G watches.

Original Diva
4 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

And 2002 is even older, being released on April 20th, and obviously likely recorded for months before that. Anne Marie's been working on this album for quite a while, so goodness knows how old that song is. 2002 may be fairly generic but it's sweet and tries to make it about being nostalgic for being in love and bringing it all around to being in love with the same person in the present which is really sweet and makes it more substantial than just "I love this nostalgic decade." Also, Charli and Troye have only recently turned 26 and 23, meaning they were 7 and 4 at the time, so are too young to properly remember 1999 or even enjoy the media (particularly the films) they're referencing back then. They're just two young people using a mentally satisfying year as a title to try to get a hit. At least Anne Marie was singing about genuinely being 11 in 2002 which is much more credible and she didn't reference movies that she was too young to watch back then. I mean, I was born in 1989 and while I definitely remember the 90's, they are still limited memories as I was a little kid. So, when I hear about those who are borderline millenials/generation Z'ers talking about how nostalgic they are for the 90's, I just laugh. At their age, they should be singing about being nostalgic for like, 2005 or something.

See above. I mean...they've both got Baby One More Time references. And fashion references. I think they even may have both had Baby G watches.

but honestly does it matter? its just a song.

excuse me no

pink sushi

I find this kind of an awkward song for people their age to sing. In 1999, Charli was 7 and Troye was 4. I'm about the same age as Charli and don't really remember much of the 90s, especially the pop culture references they mention in the song. This would be a better song for an artist in their 30s to sing. 

LordEnigma
On 10/11/2018 at 12:22 PM, DiscoHeaven23 said:

Great video, but there are some inaccuracies

Color Mac Computer - (yes, this was actually released in 1999)

Waterfalls by TLC - released in 1995

Titanic - released in 1997

Say You'll Be There by Spice Girls - released in 1996

I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys - (yes, this was released in 1999)

The Real Slim Shady by Eminem - released in 2000

(whats the one with her laying in the flowers?)

Marilyn Mason and Rose award show was in 1998

The Sims was released in 2000

The Matrix (yes this was 1999)

The NSync video looks like it was BYE BYE BYe based on what he's wearing - released in 2000

Sis, it’s not that deep :vegas:

LordEnigma
9 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I just don’t see how this matters. Obviously we are in a time politically/socially/etc where we want to go back and be nostalgic about the past and they capitalized on that by making a song about the 90s.

It doesn’t need to be genuine or autobiographical for them to make a song about it.

This and 2002 are also not the first time we’ve heard a “hit me one more time” reference in a song referring to the 90s or an NSync reference - those are timeless pop culture references.

Its pop music, it’s supposed to be fun whether they are millennials talking about the 90’s or the 00’s. Just enjoy it or listen to something else.

I do appreciate your responses - really. But sometimes it’s just meant to be fun.

StrawberryBlond
15 hours ago, Original Diva said:

but honestly does it matter? its just a song.

Well, yes it does. Because ripping off songs is a big deal, especially if the rip-off gets more success. Theft of art is a serious matter in this business and it can result in lawsuits. Let's put it this way - would you have this flippant attitude if one of Gaga's songs was blatantly ripped off? Especially if it got acclaim across the board, commercial success and considered to be an original idea? I don't know about you but I think the cardinal sin of being an artist is stealing another artist's work and passing it off as your idea. It doesn't matter if the person you stole it from is "untalented," artists shouldn't do this to each other.

11 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

I just don’t see how this matters. Obviously we are in a time politically/socially/etc where we want to go back and be nostalgic about the past and they capitalized on that by making a song about the 90s.

It doesn’t need to be genuine or autobiographical for them to make a song about it.

This and 2002 are also not the first time we’ve heard a “hit me one more time” reference in a song referring to the 90s or an NSync reference - those are timeless pop culture references.

Its pop music, it’s supposed to be fun whether they are millennials talking about the 90’s or the 00’s. Just enjoy it or listen to something else.

I do appreciate your responses - really. But sometimes it’s just meant to be fun.

But it's better if it's genuine and autobiographical. I don't like to see artists jump on a trend or popular concept just to get a hit, to me it's not what making music is all about. While, yes, it's not the first time we've heard a Baby One More Time and NYNSC reference, it's less likely to be a coincidence when it both instances occured in two songs that were made in roughly the same time frame and released mere months apart. I can get behind the fun aspect, don't get me wrong, but I've never been one to subscribe to the notion that "pop is just mindless fun, it doesn't need to be meaningful, groundbreaking or original." I think pop can be so much more than that and perhaps if pop's own fans treated the genre with more respect, perhaps the public and critics would respect it more and we'd get better pop songs into the bargain.

Archived