Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Was ARUTW inspired by Despacito?

destructivelove

Featured Posts

destructivelove

Okay first off, credit goes to “A Hybrid” for noticing the similarities of the two songs.  I was SO READY to attack him when he commented in a thread that the two sound the same...however I strongly suggest you relisten to the instrumental only first while singing ARUTW over the track (which works literally like it’s meant to be), and then listen normal version with vocals to the EXTREME similarities of the sung verses.   For example the note structure of the line “The part of me that's you will never die” lines up almost exactly to the sung verse by daddy yankee directly prior to the prechorus where Luis fonsi starts singing again 

Now before you “excuse me no” me, ARUTW is one of my favorite songs ever made by Gaga.  And I’m in no way saying she said in the studio “okay guys. We need to make our own despacito”. But I also know as a musician myself, that constantly listens to music, I often unknowingly pull inspiration from whatever songs I’m replaying currently, and sometimes will hear a really cool melody on a song I’m listening to and then warp it into my own, and record it for future use in a track in some way.  Despacito was WITHOUT A DOUBT the most overplayed song of the past two years.  And I don’t for a second doubt Gaga could have knowingly or unknowingly been influenced by a track she undoubtedly repeatedly heard (along with the producers on her track).  We know that Mark Ronson and Gaga were directly (as mentioned, not just assuming) inspired by Uptown Funk (another extremely overplayed/ingrained song) when creating A-YO.  ...discuss (kindly please)

As a bonus question, how would you feel if the pop version of ARUTW (now teased) had a beat similar to despacito (which isn’t that far fetched since we know the BPM of the pop version is similar to Desp,).  Personally I think (aside from the possible comparisons which I don’t think would be as bad as Madonna ones since the fan base feud isn’t there in this case) it would FREAKING  smash on radio even more than the piano version is & will continue to. 

(*****could someone on GGD who is a proficient audiophile create even a basic overlay of ARUTW over the instru. Of Desp.?   I know we don’t have a proper accapella but I just want people to understand the jist of it*****)

adamsenigma

Aaand... Didn't Mark Nilan Jr confirmed there's a pop version? It could've smashed with that catchy ass melody omg

destructivelove
13 minutes ago, adammonroe said:

Aaand... Didn't Mark Nilan Jr confirmed there's a pop version? It could've smashed with that catchy ass melody omg

Yep!  I’m hoping someone can do an overlay with a filtered version of ARUTW vocals over Despacito instrumental (it matches perfectly from what I can tell of just singing it out loud over the track) so that we can get a good idea of how a pop-ier version of the track would sound for a radio edit. For all we know, the pop version IS the original version of the song, which would make sense it’s said to be unfinished if it was in demo stage they switched gears to make it a standout ballad in the movie. I would do it myself but my MacBook Pro finally gave out recently

Biden Harris 2024

How do you know it's not the other way around. She's been working on this music for at least 2 years now :ohwell:

derpmonster

It was inspired by Adele if anything

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

destructivelove

3 minutes ago, adammonroe said:

What’s weirder is if you sing ARUTW over it starting AFTER the intro where the beat leads in with the lower bum bum bum (I can’t think of how else to describe it lol) it seems the “the part of me that’s you will never die” line matches up directly with where daddy yankee sings his line with the exact same melody.  

destructivelove
3 minutes ago, AllThingsGaga said:

How do you know it's not the other way around. She's been working on this music for at least 2 years now :ohwell:

I mean that would be even more of an extreme reaching stretch lol.   Despacito (Spanish version) was released the first week of January in 2017.  Almost two years ago (with the video ready).  Which means the song itself was most likely in production for atleast 6 months before even 2017 

Biden Harris 2024

Well, I still say she worked with Hillary Lindsey on Million Resurrections and probably ARUTW at the same time or soon after.

I just feel the need to say that the Uptown Funk inspiration was because Gaga wanted something that hit like it, not necessarily "it", but since it was Ronson's song (literally his, not Bruno Mars's) the line of thought is pretty clear lol

Archived