Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Pop bops really aren't Gaga's thing at all

Villanelle

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Gaga2017 said:

I feel I'm gonna get hate for this BUT this is a conclusion I think I've come to, in regards to the type of music Gaga has been releasing in the last few years and of course, after seeing ASIB. 

Gaga can write quick catchy pop songs which are great and fun, the first half of her career mainly consisted of them. But look at how much more she is capable of, it's miles away from those generic types of songs that are basically made for success and radio play. When you take songs from the soundtrack like Is That Alright, Before I Cry, Remember Us This Way etc, it seems Gaga is far more comfortable singing those types of songs in comparison to say Heal Me/The Cure (those types of songs- which are fun great tracks, but not strong).

It's quite sad that these days everything has to come packaged i.e. looks, choreo, basic autotuned vocals etc. I'm hoping that now Gaga can do what she wants to do despite what people (including the public and fans) THINK she should do.

Also to note is that Gaga’s pop songs have actual substance and a depth to them that other popstars don’t have. The ASIB pop songs don’t have substance. They sound like radio.

Gaga’s pop songs like Bad Romance, Born This Way, Applause, Judas, Poker Face, challenged norms and had something deeper to say. They sounded like nothing else on the radio when they were released. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality
5 minutes ago, DutchHooker said:

Well, I think I mean lyrics that aren't serious, Poker Face for example..
And a full album with songs like that... I cannot understand why you should want that? Ballad after ballad.. Gaga is not Adele..

Well, Poker Face has a deeper meaning. It's about her bisexuality. A song like Just Dance, for example, would fit into a much more "dumbed-down" song (in terms of the lyrics); however, I don't think you could really count that one considering it was her first lead single. I'm not saying that she was completely controlled by the industry at that time, but it's pretty obvious that she was controlled to some degree. I believe releasing a song like Just Dance was part of that control.

True, Gaga isn't Adele, but Gaga also wasn't an actress or a jazz singer, but look where she is now. Gaga's a changing artist and you just got to accept that. Not wanting Gaga to change and experiment is like complaining that the sky's always blue. 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

DutchHooker
1 minute ago, M Monstre said:

Well, Poker Face has a deeper meaning. It's about her bisexuality. A song like Just Dance, for example, would fit into a much more "dumbed-down" song (in terms of the lyrics); however, I don't think you could really count that one considering it was her first lead single. I'm not saying that she was completely controlled by the industry at that time, but it's pretty obvious that she was controlled to some degree. I believe releasing a song like Just Dance was part of that control.

True, Gaga isn't Adele, but Gaga also wasn't an actress or a jazz singer, but look where she is now. Gaga's a changing artist and you just got to accept that. Not wanting Gaga to change and experiment is like complaining that the sky's always blue. 

Well, I accept change and I love change, but more withing the pop genre, for example the change between The Fame and ARTPOP, but my personal preference stays Pop Music and that's the reason I stanned her, if I wanted ballads, I would've bought 21 instead. Poker Face was my first video I watched on youtube like 10 years ago, my love for that kind of music will never change. I respect Gaga doing ballads, because they are nice and make sure she gets critical acclaim she deserves, but only if she also makes pop music. That's why I like ASIB so much, even if pop music is the 'villian'.. it's a combined soundtrack, so everyone gets what they want..

We need DarkGa with Bops so we can rule the industry again and learn the other popgirls how to snatch 'em wigs to ultimate baldness!!

The Fame Monster, Born This Way, and some of ARTPOP totally disagree with your statement that Gaga's pop is quick, catchy and brainless. Gaga obviously loves making creative pop music. But yes, it is very apparent that her voice just shines ever more brightly during ballads and that may be why we are starting to prefer those types of tracks. 

edit: Joanne is one of my faves, no shade there. But I do think that Gaga's writing on that album wasn't as high quality as previous albums, which I blame on the total re-imagining of the album.

elijahfan

The pop songs from the movie are meant to feel shallow compared to her ballads. Looking back at Gaga's career, no one in their right mind would believe Gaga isn't comfortable doing pop.

Killa

I fully disagree, she found success in the right genre for her.

Also i've thought this since like 5 years now. Gaga is a very different artist, she's not a singer, or an actress or a dancer etc

And actually she knew this from the begining, she's a performer, an entertainer, a dazzling star. She's a phenomen, i'll make my mind when i watch the movie, but i feel i can what's her acting about. But from what i see of her, she is an artist capable of many feats not being the greatest at any, but is surely convencing and enoughly capable at most. But mostly it's her charisma, it's absolutely formidable.

Put that, i think pop music is what suits her best. Also put that she sang better more difficult ballads thn for example Why do you do that, which she sangs with a bit agressive voice, that has nothing to do with interpretation, cause this is not new. Also body hair face verse, her voice sounds ridiculous and even the melody seems rubbish cause of the phrasing. Cause pop music is not so sustained sound, and it just sounds off and weird.

It's just that she's a bit in a phase where she's too focused on her voice, but she truly did genuine work on previous records. It was authentic, and much more authentic than sometimes this ballads that seem so authentic.

Also poker face is much less generic than anything on this record. And she should just evolve her pop music, bring back that easyness in her music. To be honest The cure had a bit of that "easyness", its a song that flows well, you feel the energy. Something that i really dont get for example in John wayne, and i do like that song.

She has too much talent to waste it on pop bops anymore. She should scrap the Sophie, Bloodpop and Boysnoize stuff and make real music like the ASIB soundtrack. Joanne wasn't that great because she tried to make it still pop instead of going all the way country, rock and folk. This woman shouldn't be competing with Katy Perry and Britney Spears, she has so much more to offer. She really shines behind her piano and singing jazz with Tony and with her fibromyalgia she won't be able to dance as much in the future.

And the fans need to stop viewing Cheek to Cheek, Joanne and ASIB as side projects. If you listen to the Red And Blue EP or watch her pre-fame performances, this is the real her. She wasn't born singing dance pop music. She is as passionate for these projects as she was for her pop albums.

Although I absolutely love the ballads, I still don't want her to ditch pop. ASIB soundtrack is perfect because it has both and I hope she can find the right balance :kara:

lastfm - https://tinyurl.com/4x28kakr⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀steam - https://tinyurl.com/mbyp5as5

TeenIdle

Idk I'm easy to please. I love every genre except hip hop and even JnD isn't that bad :vegas: I just listened to IDKWLI followed by Highway Unicorn and Dope. Gaga puts her own spin on everything and that's why I trust her. 

Lee Ng

Why picking up this quarrel with each other when the pop songs in the soundtrack are Ally's BOPs, not Gaga's :sweat: They sound more like Ariana-type of pop, which is fine to me. Gaga herself even said on BEATS1 that Ally, as a whole, was not someone she wanted to be.

We all act like we know who truly Gaga is, but she proves us wrong EVERY-TIME. The majority thought " Oh, Joanne is not really THAT album. Guess she now would come back to the classic POP, collaborating with SOPHIE, DJWS and stuffs, huh???". But she decided to delve deeper into that genre and achieved yet one of the biggest acclaims of ha career, anyways:vegas:

Keep fighting over the layers of Lady Gaga and y'all be wrong the next day lol:ladyhaha:

PerfectCure

Honestly, I don’t know what to believe anymore. After the Vegas announcement everyone was cheering and screaming at how much they couldn’t wait for some new TFesque songs to be performed, and now, after the soundtrack dropped, majority of the fan base doesn’t even wanna hear new electro-pop inspired songs from her anymore.

I’d say it’s just the effect of how versatile she can be. She could release an album full of russian folk music right now and everyone would want 3 more. Once again, she could drop another “The Cure” and everybody would be here for it.

Personally, I love the songs on the soundtrack and I’m always glad to hear new material no matter how bad or good it is, but I’ll always be here for the Gaga I stanned - and never say no to pop bops.

brucee
2 hours ago, M Monstre said:

A song like Just Dance, for example, would fit into a much more "dumbed-down" song (in terms of the lyrics)

I think that the song is deeper than it seems. It's bitter sweet, melancholic indeed. 

hello hello baby.

Villanelle
3 hours ago, andy69em said:

All I can really think to ask someone who considers Gaga's early career hits as "generic songs... made for success and radio play" is how old are you?

Because Gaga's early hits were actually very unusual and shifted the entire direction of pop radio. So, I have to imagine that anyone who doesn't understand that must just be very young and not aware of that context because they weren't... there for it?

Lmao idk.

Girl you're reading far too much into it and assuming I mean I hate all gaga songs or something.

For the record, I am 25, became a fan of Gaga in 2008.

I did not mean her pop music was trash, it's obviously the reason I love her. And I agree, her "pop bops" are on the whole, very different and lyrically clever i.e. Poker Face and Bad Romance. But what I mean is, Gaga seems to have a natural passion for the personal stuff ala Joanne and the songs on ASIB in comparison to say....G.U.Y, The Cure etc, which probably drains more mental energy tbh. Gaga has said she wasn't a natural dancer, a lot of her skills have had to be learnt or improved on. When she's just sitting at a piano or taking to the mic and belting something from the soul, that is where she at least APPEARS to be 100% at home and at her best.

Schizophonic

you all forget a very important part, its about her point of view. where is she in her life right now?

she is no longer the girl who makes out with girls for fun at a drunk night out as she might was in 2007.

when she has a baby in her arm she will most likely not singing about having sexdreams with other woman or flying high in amsterdam like mary jane. not sure if we can expect more wilde/party/drunk/high/sex stuff from her... she grows up and that will impact her music as well.

Archived