Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
interview

Lady Gaga: 'It's Important to me that that music doesn't sound like mine'

monketsharona

Featured Posts

sipthistea
28 minutes ago, California Gold said:

I'm sorry Gaga but it sounds like yours and I love it :lolly:

It only sounds like The Cure, and that one was also meant for ASIB. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the comparisons between some of the pop songs to The Cure - but I feel like that was definitely made during the exploratory phase of her creating for Ally. That also doesn't sound like a typical Gaga song and the lyrics seem to match up with the story of ASIB.

I think you can see her point more when comparing her lead singles. Listen to Born This Way, listen to Applause, listen to Perfect Illusion - they are giant power anthem type songs. Then listen to Heal Me, musically it is quite a significant departure.

I see what she means - HBF sounds the most like a song I could hear on a previous Gaga album but even then it wouldn't fully fit in. 

Original Diva
29 minutes ago, symphonia said:

Good.

These pop songs are beyond basic but she still released The Cure as a Lady Gaga single and it sounds just as basic which is worrying.

its basic, big deal. i dont get why its so bad that she has some basic songs. not every song of hers need to be deep and not generic. sometimes its nice having generic bops.

excuse me no

kaojen

I would have to say the Ally pop that came out happen to be my least favorite songs in this film. 

I remember on my birthday when The Cure came out I was wondering why the hell she didn't sound like herself. I didn't like The Cure until I heard it at the Joanne World Tour. 

The Ally pop is very different from her music in my opinion so I think she achieved that. Her music, even the fun infectious pop has something in it that hits a different vein. Even the interviewer pointed out how it didn't have her weirdness. And I think that weirdness is what made me a fan. During The Fame I became a huge fan when I deconstructed the music and realized the underlying messages, weird production and creativity. 

Ally's songs aren't bad. But I don't like them. And this almost Britney-esque perfomance on SNL in the film confirms that if Ally were a real person, I probably wouldn't have been a fan of hers hahaha. Weird right?

In other news, I sobbed watching that interview. 

28 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Hmm. I mean, I sort of get what she's saying, she probably just means they sound radio friendly in a very "this could be released by Selena Gomez right now" way, which is true (doesn't mean they're bad, I quite enjoy the pop tracks on the soundtrack).

Where I think she misses the mark is that she actively tried to be that girl with The Cure lol.

What I think is more interesting, anyway, is that she's only talking about those pop songs, and implies that the other songs do sound like her. Does she mean that the shallow presentation of pop in the movie is not the way she sees it, or that her pop is different because it does have soul?

I mean The Cure was written in that exploratory phase while working to find the sound for Ally - It wasn't a song that would have fit the movie or any Gaga album but they still thought it was a cool song so released it as a surprise for Coachella. It's not really indicative of her work as a whole and I don't see it as a reflection of her trying to be "that girl".

I just see it as, she was working to find the right sound for Ally and playing around getting into character, she thought the song was cool, she thought it would be cool to give to the fans because she liked it but didn't feel like it belonged to any project she would release.

I also just got the impression she talked about the pop songs - because she is known as a pop star.

I personally didn't hear it as "The songs that aren't pop sound more like me" I heard it as "I'm a pop star who makes pop music, people know me for that, there is some pop music in the movie/soundtrack but it's not the kind of pop music I usually make." 

I don't think she is trying to distance herself from the music in the soundtrack because she doesn't want to be associated with this soulless pop - I think she is being very literal in saying the music she was making for the movie doesn't sound like "Gaga" music and that she didn't want it to sound like "Gaga" music - she wanted the music to be "Ally" sounding music.

I don't think she is trying to make any commentary other than that she didn't want the music to just sound like a Gaga album because she was trying to develop and sell a different character with a different "voice" and perspective.

Thomas P
47 minutes ago, California Gold said:

I'm sorry Gaga but it sounds like yours and I love it :lolly:

The pop songs sound nothing like hers. They still bop hard, but they’re not gaga pop. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Ziggy
1 hour ago, monketsharona said:

Honestly I don't get the point of people saying 'generic' music needs to be a bad thing... Sometimes generic bops can be very good and enjoyable..

Music doesn't need to be deep or serious everytime....

HBF remains unbothered as an incrediby generic song pulled off so well and I ain’t mad about it 💅🏻 

crisTEAne

the chorus of HBF is the only part that sounds like a gaga song. perhaps also ARUTW in general—speechless, i'm looking at you—but that's really it.

i think that she's trying to compartmentalize everything because she's still dealing with identity crises, as she always did, and, i guess, always will. she said multiple times in her most recent ASIB interviews that she doesn't really knows who she is; what she knows is that her eras encapsulate a specific time in her life and the way she talks, walks, and simply exists changes her entire attitude, perception, and thinking. 

i mean, it is a no-brainer to point out the parallels between ally and gaga, but, as she highlighted in the beats 1 interview, she (lady gaga) could identify with bradley's character just as much as she did with ally, which is kinda heartbreaking, if you think about it, because that part of her is the post-AP-pre-being-saved-by-tonyGa: the part of lady gaga that got eaten by the fame monster and was never and will never be recovered. what's different between jackson and gaga is that she did not try to change for another person—she did that for herself. i guess that's the reason why she's still with us. this woman gave birth to herself so many times that it would be impossible to point out all the fragments that make her whole. i think it was that new yorker piece in which the author pointed out that it's her paradoxical subject position that marks out her unique but, ultimately, adaptive space in today's world, which, as we all know, is full of holograms and avatars. she really is performing halfway between reality and fantasy at all times. 

lol, this is much longer than the initial comment i intended. whatevs. lemme listen to before i cry real quick. :cryga: 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

misunderstood

Am I the only one that absolutely adores the pop songs just as much as the other ones? I've noticed how much people don't like the pop songs...

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

5 minutes ago, misunderstood said:

Am I the only one that absolutely adores the pop songs just as much as the other ones? I've noticed how much people don't like the pop songs...

I love HBF and HM tbh... and I think the lyrics to HBF are not the best, however they're quite deep in their message. People just like to pretend they're above that :awkney: I love the ballads as well though so...

Too many people here with moral superiority complex.

Shipper
1 hour ago, symphonia said:

Good.

These pop songs are beyond basic but she still released The Cure as a Lady Gaga single and it sounds just as basic which is worrying.

She was in the middle of filming in Coachella when she released the Cure.  I'm still wondering if this had some connection in the movie.  She was honest in saying the cure was a new song she wrote in like a week and she dedicated it to Sonja.  

It is obvious the Cure,  Heal me and HBF could be in an album together. It all have similar themes of curing and about the body.  (Manicure should have been in this too) 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

TheCureinMalibu
2 hours ago, California Gold said:

Heal Me is a better version of The Cure.

Hair Body Face sounds like a The Fame reject.

WDYDT is kinda different but I can see "pre/FameGa" doing this stuff.

Before I Cry is a masterpiece and could be put on any Gaga's album.

I'm sorry but Heal Me has super weak chorus and barely a bridge at all, the lyrics is mediorce af 

Hair Body Face sounds like a The Fame reject -----> that's why it's mediorce, it's not on The Fame's level

WDYDT is repetitive, TEEN POP CHEAP AF with those lyrics about ass + jeans, lol even Jack Maine said it in the movie 

Before I Cry is a masterpiece and that is a pop-rock/modern ballad, yes. 

Archived