Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

The overhype is now hurting ASIB itself.

Galagala

Featured Posts

Galagala

As I said days ago here, lots of people from the first screening in my country said "ASIB is great but a little disappointing."There are more and more alike reviews coming up from general people now. :ohno:

I think what made them feel "disappointed" is the overhype we and the media build for the film. Without it, ASIB would definitely be a way better film on their minds.(yeah, and Oscar members' minds.):giggle:

No matter what it got from the media or the critics, we really need to be humble or focus on the highlights of the film ---the acting and the music. 

I don't care if you tell me "negativity is not allowed here." Sorry, the film is released now and you can't stop general people having these kinds of feelings. 

Yeah, the influence of the overhype is happening, but at least I wish it will not hurt ASIB's chances too much in Oscars or any other award. :messga::messga:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Galagala

Here's a review from GoldDerby:

Edit: Ugh you know this is not the only review, right?:huntyga: My colleagues( monsters,too) even watched it last night and they said they could get why people felt disappointed.  

His review:

"This is a very good film but overhyped as hell. Bradley Cooper did a great work in the direction and bringing back this classic story in a very well done way. The 1st half is better than the 2nd one, when Ally is famous all I see was Lady Gaga.

Bradley is good on it, but he is not winning, his performance is very 5th spot type of performance.

Lady Gaga is not at Kidman/Zellwegger/Hudson/Stone level, the character will not be as ICONIC as Satine/Roxy/Effie/Mia but she did a good job in the 1st half. She needs to improve her acting, work more and eventually she will have her Moonstruck.

The sound is great and I expected more from the OST, SHALLOW is that song, I loved it and will be nominated. The last song was a blatant attempt to have her own I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU and seems too forced, while SHALLOW grows in a very organic way.

Sam and Gaga´s father did a great job as supporting characters.

The only lock for a win is Shallow.

My friends and I were disappointed after the huge hype."

WildSalome

I think only stans see it that way because we're hyper-perceptive on how people talk about the movie. Overall, the film has had rave reviews from both critics and the GP. Having a film that will blow literally everyone away is impossible and no film in history has had that achievement. So far I'd say it's on a great track and Warner Brothers is doing a fantastic job getting the film the exposure it needs to reach different demographics. 

Neight Shayde
1 minute ago, GrigioGurl said:

I think only stans see it that way because we're hyper-perceptive on how people talk about the movie.

this. 

Chickens in Malibu
1 minute ago, Galagala said:

Here's a review from GoldDerby:

"This is a very good film but overhyped as hell. Bradley Cooper did a great work in the direction and bringing back this classic story in a very well done way. The 1st half is better than the 2nd one, when Ally is famous all I see was Lady Gaga.

Bradley is good on it, but he is not winning, his performance is very 5th spot type of performance.

Lady Gaga is not at Kidman/Zellwegger/Hudson/Stone level, the character will not be as ICONIC as Satine/Roxy/Effie/Mia but she did a good job in the 1st half. She needs to improve her acting, work more and eventually she will have her Moonstruck.

The sound is great and I expected more from the OST, SHALLOW is that song, I loved it and will be nominated. The last song was a blatant attempt to have her own I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU and seems too forced, while SHALLOW grows in a very organic way.

Sam and Gaga´s father did a great job as supporting characters.

The only lock for a win is Shallow.

My friends and I were disappointed after the huge hype."

That's the same guy who said that Warner Bros was paying critics to give ASIB nice reviews lol. Go back few pages and you'll see. Golderby has many Gaga haters who will try to criticize without sounding like a hater, so that they sound a bit credible.

It's probably not even worth dignifying him with a thread on Gagadaily.

Haters gonna hate. What matters is what the box office says, and actual critics.

JR Gg
13 minutes ago, Galagala said:

As I said days ago here, lots of people from the first screening in my country said "ASIB is great but a little disappointing."There are more and more alike reviews coming up from general people now. :ohno:

I think what made them feel "disappointed" is the overhype we and the media build for the film. Without it, ASIB would definitely be a way better film on their minds.(yeah, and Oscar members' minds.):giggle:

No matter what it got from the media or the critics, we really need to be humble or focus on the highlights of the film ---the acting and the music. 

I don't care if you tell me "negativity is not allowed here." Sorry, the film is released now and you can't stop general people having these kinds of feelings. 

Yeah, the influence of the overhype is happening, but at least I wish it will not hurt ASIB's chances too much in Oscars or any other award. :messga::messga:

Honey your general audience is not really general... they're probably fans because the general audience take their time to watch a movie, and absolutely not on the first screening lmao :emma:

Not sure if opening a thread to shed light on the 15% overall disappointed reviews as opposed to the 85% acclaim is really productive on a Gaga fansite 

Signature loading… 👹🖤

A trick to overcome hype: watch the movie two times. The first is hyped with expectations, the second feels smoother and relaxed :queenga: 

24 minutes ago, Galagala said:

as ICONIC as Satine/Roxy/Effie/Mia

who are any of these characters :lmao: except Effie?

Galagala
4 hours ago, JR Gg said:

Honey your general audience is not really general... they're probably fans because the general audience take their time to watch a movie, and absolutely not on the first screening lmao :emma:

Ugh the "first screening" ones are in my previous thread, not that above review.:poot: 

And I'm not just talking about reviews from GoldDerby. That is clearly just an example with detailed analysis. 

As I said above, some people around me even just watched it last night and they said they were a little disappointed.:ohno: That's what makes me believe more about this "overhype hurting" thing. 

DiegoMonster

I hope there was no awards at all in this world so you guys could enjoy the movie and stop getting “disappointed” over other people’s critics. 

Don’t take it personal, I talk about everyone else too :/ just enjoy the movie man. 

PS: also, I think the “overhype” came from usual movie reviewers so I wouldn’t be so worried about a group of people that aren’t that satisfied. In fact, I’ve talked to more people that liked it and yet this is the first negative thread I’ve seen. 

The last song was a blatant attempt to have her own I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU and seems too forced, while SHALLOW grows in a very organic way.

if here he means I Will Never Love Again. im afraid he is SOOO RİGHT. It screams I will always love you.

Chickens in Malibu
17 minutes ago, Adriana Lima said:

The last song was a blatant attempt to have her own I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU and seems too forced, while SHALLOW grows in a very organic way.

if here he means I Will Never Love Again. im afraid he is SOOO RİGHT. It screams I will always love you.

Most 90s ballads sound like that. Anyone can arguably say it sounds like Mariah's "Without You", or "Unbreak my heart" etc... She just went for that 90s sound and she always said she's very influenced by Whitney. She even dedicated her first grammy speech to her.

I swear Gaga fans love giving loud speakers to Gaga haters. Look this structure was very popular in the 90s, soft first chorus, harder, and most powerful final chorus. It's just that in everyone's mind, who says 90s ballad says "I Will Always Love You", that's why any good ballad that has that 90s sound will be compared to that song. 

Archived