💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

Shallow #5 Most Acclaimed Songs of 2018

Vitleysingur

Featured Posts

Vitleysingur

According to Albumoftheyear, Shallow is eighth most acclaimed songs of 2018 so far.

YEAR END LISTS

Rolling Stone #2

Spoiler

“Shallow” is the comeback hit where Gaga basically says, “Hey, pop stardom? I just wanted to take another look at you!” After nearly capsizing her career with Joanne:selena:, she gets it right here. Oscar contenders Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper team up for an edge-of-glory power ballad, holding the spotlight with just acoustic guitar and their voices. (Mostly hers, but he holds his own.) Like the rest of A Star Is Born, “Shallow” is a classic-rock fantasy where the Nineties never ended, yet somehow that’s why it fits so perfectly into 2018.

Vulture #2

Spoiler

We don’t need to wonder about when Bradley Cooper first knew he had a hit on his hands, because in interviews he talks about A Star Is Born like it was the movie he was destined to make, and we were all destined to love with the same furor the entire population of the year 1997 had for Titanic. Still, it’s surprising that the songs were, well, so good. “Shallow” is the song that everyone you know loves: your old college roommate, that snobby dude who cloaks his love of big hits in karaoke performances he pretends are ironic, your mom, her sister, your dad, and probably your small child, pet, fish, or other living thing whose thoughts are not easily communicable, too. “Shallow” is undeniably the hit of the movie, and a major song in general, and it’s due to the interplay between Lady Gaga and Cooper. Gaga in particular soars (is there a more triumphant moment than around 2:33 into the track?), but it’s a testament to the power of this song that even the fake crowd noise sounds legit. Cooper may have manufactured the triumphant moment as a plot point in his movie, but it has officially crossed over into reality. —S.H-S.

The Ringer #3

Spoiler

If you would have told me 12 months ago that Bradley Cooper would be involved in one of my favorite songs of the year, I would have looked at you in confused silence for a long time before finally asking, “… are you trying to tell me that Limitless was a documentary?” But here we are, further from the shallow than anyone could have imagined this time last year. Cooper’s wrenching A Star Is Born feels like a relic from another time, so earnest in its devotion to virtues like love, romance, and artistic integrity that it seemed to win over even the most jaded skeptics. A huge part of its power, of course, comes from Lady Gaga. Her nervy and raw performance as Ally Maine won her deserved accolades, and her impeccable songcraft elevated even what should have been throw-away numbers in the movie (“Look What I Found” hive, unite!) into instant pop classics. “Shallow,” though, is the showstopper—and not just because “HAAA AH AH AH AAAHH” is forever immortalized in meme-speak. Its forlorn verses, undercut by moaning strings, foreshadow the doom that we knew was awaiting these star-crossed lovers from the moment they laid eye(brows) on each other. But does that chorus ever soar: “Watch as I dive in,” Gaga sings, in an ascending melody that seems to stretch up past the clouds. “I’ll never meet the groooound!” For the briefest, most blissful moment, you believe her. —LZ

The Fader #3

Spoiler

No sound in 2018 resonated as thoroughly as Lady Gaga’s climactic wail towards the end of “Shallow.” You know the one. It goes like “hhaaaAAAHHH AHHHH AHH, HAaaahAHHHHHH.” A primal scream that, in the context of A Star Is Born, is the exact moment that Lady Gaga’s Ally crosses the threshold and decides to go on her life’s journey with Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper). Out of context, it was a meme that became a salve.

The soaring duet between Gaga and Cooper first debuted in the trailer for A Star Is Born and was immediately latched onto by the entire internet. It was exciting that Gaga sounded so good! Bradley Cooper might not have ****ed this up! The wail is objectively pretty funny to listen to!

Really, the magic of “Shallow” is that it is several things all at once. There’s the song itself, which serves as a reminder that Gaga is one of the great vocalists of our time. There’s the song as a plot point, which launches us into one of the most cuckoo bananas movies of the year. And there is the song, but mostly the wail, as a cultural moment. There were few better moments of catharsis this year than playing this song with a group of friends and listening to them belt their hearts out. —OLIVIA CRAIGHEAD

UPROXX #6

Spoiler

If you were to list out all the lyrics of “Shallow,” a good third of them would just be the word “shallow,” sung repeatedly by Academy Award-nominated actor Bradley Cooper and accompanied by a variety of wah-ha-ha-ha-ha vocalization sounds from Lady Gaga. But somehow, “Shallow” is absolutely enchanting.

Part of it is the way it’s used in the movie. No matter your thoughts on A Star Is Born as a whole, there’s no denying that the scene where the grizzled, Eddie Vedder-type Jackson Maine first sings with Ally, the stunning young ingenue everyone roots for, is absolute fairytale magic. Jackson does the bare minimum we can expect from a man — he just listens to Ally, but he listens with empathy, and he recognizes talent when he hears it. Cooper and Gaga sound incredible together, with the pop star toning down her powerhouse voice to sound like an inexperienced (but naturally talented) singer, Cooper impressing with shockingly great rock voice.

Gaga has said that she thinks so many people are moved by “Shallow” because of how unusual that kind of empathy is. As a woman, it’s maddeningly rare to feel like you’re being heard, that other people are truly recognizing you for your talent. Hearing these two unlikely partners come together to sing, even if they’re mostly just saying the word “shallow” over and over again, is pure magic.–C.G.

New York Times #6

Spoiler

JON PARELES  A perfectly calibrated power ballad, with the Lady Gaga chorus trademark of repeated syllables, does movie-musical triple duty as love song, vocal showcase and plot pivot.

JON CARAMANICA  From “A Star Is Born,” the place where misery meets triumph.

Billboard #7

Spoiler

If you were to list out all the lyrics of “Shallow,” a good third of them would just be the word “shallow,” sung repeatedly by Academy Award-nominated actor Bradley Cooper and accompanied by a variety of wah-ha-ha-ha-ha vocalization sounds from Lady Gaga. But somehow, “Shallow” is absolutely enchanting.

Part of it is the way it’s used in the movie. No matter your thoughts on A Star Is Born as a whole, there’s no denying that the scene where the grizzled, Eddie Vedder-type Jackson Maine first sings with Ally, the stunning young ingenue everyone roots for, is absolute fairytale magic. Jackson does the bare minimum we can expect from a man — he just listens to Ally, but he listens with empathy, and he recognizes talent when he hears it. Cooper and Gaga sound incredible together, with the pop star toning down her powerhouse voice to sound like an inexperienced (but naturally talented) singer, Cooper impressing with shockingly great rock voice.

Gaga has said that she thinks so many people are moved by “Shallow” because of how unusual that kind of empathy is. As a woman, it’s maddeningly rare to feel like you’re being heard, that other people are truly recognizing you for your talent. Hearing these two unlikely partners come together to sing, even if they’re mostly just saying the word “shallow” over and over again, is pure magic.–C.G.

Consequence of Sound #10

Spoiler

Sounds Like: An Oscar-winning classic we’ll hear in every Oscar montage forever

Key Lyric: “I’m off the deep end, watch as I dive in/ I’ll never meet the ground” but only after the “Ohhhh ahhh ooohh” part

Why It Matters: Rock ‘n’ roll movies suck, remakes are even worse, and yet somehow, A Star Is Borncomes away unscathed. Much of it has to do with the chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, namely how we’re meant to believe in a world where the Fame Monster would ever fall in love with the “Better Man.” But, we do, and that conviction is all over the film’s strongest and most emotional anthem. –Michael Roffman

Song in a GIF:

tumblr_muumnyubbl1si749co2_500.gif?w=806

:giveup::giveup::giveup:

REVIEWS UPON RELEASE

Spoiler

Pitchfork: Lady Gaga Steals the Show Again on “Shallow”

Spoiler

In 2011, Lady Gaga released “You & I,” a honky-tonk ballad that chimed more with Shania Twain and country rock musical numbers than with her pop beginnings. With that in mind, students of Gaga were not entirely surprised by her last full-length album, 2016’s Joanne. Talked up as a sudden about-turn search for “authenticity” (please, no), the signs had long been there that Gaga would strip down to rootsy, showtune basics like a Broadway Dolly Parton. Joanne necessarily bled into what comes now: her lead role in Bradley Cooper’s remake of A Star Is Born. For Gaga, talk of “authenticity” is useless. Gaga has always been a theatrical phenom; hers is a complete blurring of life and show. A star, she was born.

“Shallow,” the original theme of A Star Is Born, may prove to be Gaga’s own apex in the spotlight, her completion into superstar of charts and screen. “Shallow” is a slow-building conversation around picked guitar, beginning with Bradley Cooper’s inviting “tell me something, girl.” He doesn’t quite have the deep growl of a Kris Kristofferson (who played opposite Barbra Streisand in the 1976 film) but pulls off the earnestness required to hand over to his far superior singing partner; his restraint recognizes that it’s not his moment to shine but hers. Gaga carries everything here with familiar battleworn strength; her voice begins sturdy and climbs to a heady wail. Eventually she shatters the ceiling, coursing across a body of drums and pedal steel guitar, belting, “We’re far from the shallow now.” Her performance suggests A Star Is Born will be a tale of grit, determination, and high-stakes drama. What else have we come to expect from Lady Gaga?

Rolling Stone: Song You Need to Know: Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, ‘Shallow’

Spoiler

“Shallow,” the Bradley Cooper-Lady Gaga duet from the forthcoming remake of A Star Is Born, opens with an acoustic guitar that recalls strumming from the Peak Power Ballad Era — think the percussive nature of “More Than Words” and the filigrees of “I Remember You,” with a bit of “To Be With You” shagginess thrown in for good measure; Cooper’s slightly raspy voice brings to mind today’s country-pop singers in Unplugged mode. But when Lady Gaga — playing Ally, the ingenue who gets drawn in by Cooper’s grizzled rocker — comes in to cheers, “Shallow” explodes into colors, turning a simple love song into high drama.

Rock Powerhouse Gaga is one of her best personas, allowing her to channel her theater-kid background and pop-star present simultaneously; “Shallow” lets her not just revel but sound like she’s bathing in it, from the ovation accompanying her arrival to her final repetition of the chorus. The key moment, of course, is Gaga’s 17-second run at the song’s bridge, a vocal triumph that future generations will study. The musicians crouch into their starting blocks at 2:25, and two seconds later, she fires the starter’s pistol, teasing what’s to come with a breathy gasp; her voice then opens, and opens more, until she’s seemingly threatening to swallow the entire stage whole, sustaining its triumphant ending note before crashing back into its Bic lighter-worthy chorus. (Cooper’s somewhere in there, too, but Gaga steals the show as easily in Hollywood as she does in pop.)

The Observer: Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s ‘A Star Is Born’ Single “Shallow” Is Actually Really Deep

Spoiler

“Shallow,” the centerpiece song from Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga’s movie A Star Is Born, is finally available to stream—and ****ing rules.

What an affecting ballad, power-pop duet, statement of purpose and major Hollywood moment for these two incredibly talented individuals. We’ll have a full review of the film soon, but we’re just gonna say this: Both Cooper and Gaga completely disappear into their roles. The power and energy of Gaga’s voice is totally present in this clip, but there’s less of her IRL bombast, which makes songs like “Bad Romance” so distinctive. Ally (her character’s name) couldn’t be more different from Mother Monster.

“Shallow” is a massive, roaring rock song with a pop garnish; it’s actually difficult to compare the music to that of any particular artist. It sounds like it could be an earlier-career Miley Cyrus track, but also like it could have been written by Carly Simon or Stevie Nicks or Bonnie Raitt maybe? We don’t know. Just listen and decide for yourself.

NPR: Hear 'Shallow,' Lady Gaga's Slow-Burning Power Ballad From 'A Star Is Born'

Spoiler

Lady Gaga's constant reinvention has never felt arch; instead, it takes frequent detours off pop music's highway. "I feel like my whole career is a tribute to David Bowie," she told NPR's Michel Martin in 2016, to acknowledge her shape-shifting inspiration. Her characters have permeated music, but in a new version of the film A Star Is Born, she plays Ally, an unknown singer-songwriter who meets Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper). He wants to make her a star — yet another character for Gaga to inhabit while re-orbiting her own music.

Both the movie and the soundtrack come out Oct. 5, but until today, we'd yet to hear any of the songs, which promise to span styles. Now we have the first single, the slow-burning power ballad "Shallow."

Country music was a texture in Lady Gaga's 2016 album Joanne. But as NPR Music's Ann Powers put it in her review, country music is "a genre sometimes strangled by authenticity myths," which sets the stage for exactly the kind of "definitions-busting" that Gaga favors.

"Shallow" sets the stage for a quiet, reflective country croon, the recording opting to keep in audience noise and their rapturous response. Bradley Cooper, with a sweet and amiable set of pipes, trades verses with Gaga about finding more, wanting more out of life and lovers. But then Gaga's theater kid comes roaring in at the chorus: "I'm off the deep end, watch as I dive in / I'll never meet the ground," growling the last word as if every rejection, every ex, every barrier embodies it. Beyond the shallow end of life, they embrace the deep.

The New York Times:

Spoiler

he first song from the upcoming remake of “A Star Is Born,” written and directed by Bradley Cooper, is a good, old-fashioned, sound-of-the-1970s, gumption-of-the-1980s, high-treacle-higher-pomp roots ballad. Mr. Cooper is a fine singer, fine as in adequate. It’s Lady Gaga who throbs intensely here, leaning deep into the natural husk of her voice, and swapping her ordinary costume for a different type of polish, one that reveals more than it hides. JON CARAMANICA

Mashable: Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper weave magic with first 'A Star Is Born' song

Spoiler

If this song doesn't give you chills, I feel bad for you.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper give an unbelievable performance in the song "Shallow" for A Star Is Born, creating a heartfelt, moving track that deserves an award. No, all the awards. Cooper's voice is great. Lady Gaga is transcendent. And yes, this the song with the famous Lady Gaga vocal.

Collider: ‘A Star Is Born’: Watch the Music Video for Oscar-Contending Original Song “Shallow”

Spoiler

Let’s get this out of the way: Warner Bros.’ A Star Is Born is the early frontrunner in the Oscar race. Ever since its debut on the fall film festival circuit, it’s been clear that this movie is going to be a major contender in a number of categories, with a strong shot to win some big prizes like Best Picture, and Best Director and Best Actor for Bradley Cooper. But this being a music-centric film and all, the film is also up for the Best Original Song Oscar, and there are a lot of songs from this film that could potentially win. A Star Is Born’s biggest Oscar shot, however, is probably a song called “Shallow,” which has been released online in its entirety ahead of the soundtrack release next week.

“Shallow” is a wildly emotional number and plays a key role throughout the film. It’s also just a great song, as you’ll see when you watch the music video below. Lady Gaga co-wrote the song with Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, and Andrew Wyatt, so look for those folks to potentially take the stage come Oscar night. Up to two songs from any one film can score Best Original Song nominations, but Warner Bros. will likely be putting its weight behind one song to have better odds. With “Shallow” being released as the first single from the soundtrack, it’s clear this is their number.

Take a listen to “Shallow” below if you so desire, but if you plan on seeing the film when it hits theaters on October 5th, I’d actually advise you hold off. As I said, this is a song that plays a key role in the film, and is probably best experienced within the context of the movie. But if you can’t wait, I’m not gonna hold that against you. Click here to read Matt’s review from TIFF, and click here for my take on the film’s Oscar chances.

Screen Crush: It’s the best moment of the film – honestly, a top contender for one of the single best movie moments of 2018. 

Awards Circuit: The song is the presumed frontrunner for this year’s Best Original Song.

One of Geek: Shallow is the first destined-to-be hit song recorded from A Star is Born.

Spoiler

It’s a movie moment we have literally seen many variations of before. After all, Bradley Cooper’s A Star is Born is the fourth Hollywood movie to bear that title (not to mention the many knockoffs). Be that as it may, I can vouch that the moment where Cooper’s gruffly lovable (and inebriated) Jackson Maine coerces his fledgling romantic partner, Ally (Lady Gaga), to come on stage and sing a song she’s written… is the stuff of movie magic.

This is due to a number of aspects. As we relayed in our A Star is Born review, Cooper’s movie is like a stripped down, acoustic cover of the often glitzy and gaudy Hollywood myth borne from the original 1937 film of the same name. He cuts down to the yarn’s raw authenticity and earnest grace note. All of that comes together in a scene that is not a “surprise,” but merely a cathartic release of Ally finally getting the stage that was always hers. And she seizes her moment.

The other reason that the sequence is so impressive, however, is because the song that she sings in this moment, “Shallow,” is a song that the real Lady Gaga co-wrote. And it is pop music ear candy. Harkening back to Gaga’s days as a singer and songwriter, before she was the “Fame Monster,” the song showcases Ally’s on-screen skill and Gaga’s off-screen one. A clear ballad anthem, that Cooper’s Jackson miraculously was able to pick out well enough from one verse being sung to him in a parking lot by Ally, it is designed by the characters and creators to be a moment for Gaga to crush the big screen. And she does. Listen to the below full song for proof.

This is the first destined-to-be hit song recorded from A Star is Born. It will not be the last. The film is a shameless throwback to old school Hollywood melodrama by way of modern, naturalistic sensibilities, and it will play very well for almost any audience. 

Entertainment.ieFull song 'Shallow' from 'A Star is Born' is mind-blowingly good

Birth Movie Death: Let Lady Gaga Uplift Your Spirits With A STAR IS BORN’s “Shallow”

Pedestrian: Lady Gaga Finally Blesses Us With That Emotional Duet From ‘A Star Is Born’

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.

CyanDante

Thank you for making this thread!! :tony: :firega: Needs to be rubbed on a lot faces :trollga:

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

A Hybrid
30 minutes ago, S0436 said:

Hardened and feared music critics less critical than LMs :ladyhaha:

“I stand here waiting for you to stop the gong

To leave the critics alone, let them do what they’ve got to do”

No family’s safe when I sashay

Regina George

Everyone has opinions so there is no need to AGAIN bring negativity in this thread by calling out those with different opinions. Enjoy the good reviews. 

Vitleysingur

The New York Times

The first song from the upcoming remake of “A Star Is Born,” written and directed by Bradley Cooper, is a good, old-fashioned, sound-of-the-1970s, gumption-of-the-1980s, high-treacle-higher-pomp roots ballad. Mr. Cooper is a fine singer, fine as in adequate. It’s Lady Gaga who throbs intensely here, leaning deep into the natural husk of her voice, and swapping her ordinary costume for a different type of polish, one that reveals more than it hides. JON CARAMANICA

It's the same reviewer who gave Joanne 40/100.:classy:

While Joanne is elemental, nothing about it is bare. Instead, it’s confused, full of songs that feel like concepts in search of a home, small theater pieces extruded from other imaginary productions and collected in one miscellany bin.

TABS I guess :gaycat:

Vitleysingur

YEAR END LISTS 

Spoiler

Vulture #2

Spoiler

We don’t need to wonder about when Bradley Cooper first knew he had a hit on his hands, because in interviews he talks about A Star Is Born like it was the movie he was destined to make, and we were all destined to love with the same furor the entire population of the year 1997 had for Titanic. Still, it’s surprising that the songs were, well, so good. “Shallow” is the song that everyone you know loves: your old college roommate, that snobby dude who cloaks his love of big hits in karaoke performances he pretends are ironic, your mom, her sister, your dad, and probably your small child, pet, fish, or other living thing whose thoughts are not easily communicable, too. “Shallow” is undeniably the hit of the movie, and a major song in general, and it’s due to the interplay between Lady Gaga and Cooper. Gaga in particular soars (is there a more triumphant moment than around 2:33 into the track?), but it’s a testament to the power of this song that even the fake crowd noise sounds legit. Cooper may have manufactured the triumphant moment as a plot point in his movie, but it has officially crossed over into reality. —S.H-S.

The Ringer #3

Spoiler

If you would have told me 12 months ago that Bradley Cooper would be involved in one of my favorite songs of the year, I would have looked at you in confused silence for a long time before finally asking, “… are you trying to tell me that Limitless was a documentary?” But here we are, further from the shallow than anyone could have imagined this time last year. Cooper’s wrenching A Star Is Born feels like a relic from another time, so earnest in its devotion to virtues like love, romance, and artistic integrity that it seemed to win over even the most jaded skeptics. A huge part of its power, of course, comes from Lady Gaga. Her nervy and raw performance as Ally Maine won her deserved accolades, and her impeccable songcraft elevated even what should have been throw-away numbers in the movie (“Look What I Found” hive, unite!) into instant pop classics. “Shallow,” though, is the showstopper—and not just because “HAAA AH AH AH AAAHH” is forever immortalized in meme-speak. Its forlorn verses, undercut by moaning strings, foreshadow the doom that we knew was awaiting these star-crossed lovers from the moment they laid eye(brows) on each other. But does that chorus ever soar: “Watch as I dive in,” Gaga sings, in an ascending melody that seems to stretch up past the clouds. “I’ll never meet the groooound!” For the briefest, most blissful moment, you believe her. —LZ

The Fader #3

Spoiler

No sound in 2018 resonated as thoroughly as Lady Gaga’s climactic wail towards the end of “Shallow.” You know the one. It goes like “hhaaaAAAHHH AHHHH AHH, HAaaahAHHHHHH.” A primal scream that, in the context of A Star Is Born, is the exact moment that Lady Gaga’s Ally crosses the threshold and decides to go on her life’s journey with Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper). Out of context, it was a meme that became a salve.

The soaring duet between Gaga and Cooper first debuted in the trailer for A Star Is Born and was immediately latched onto by the entire internet. It was exciting that Gaga sounded so good! Bradley Cooper might not have ****ed this up! The wail is objectively pretty funny to listen to!

Really, the magic of “Shallow” is that it is several things all at once. There’s the song itself, which serves as a reminder that Gaga is one of the great vocalists of our time. There’s the song as a plot point, which launches us into one of the most cuckoo bananas movies of the year. And there is the song, but mostly the wail, as a cultural moment. There were few better moments of catharsis this year than playing this song with a group of friends and listening to them belt their hearts out. —OLIVIA CRAIGHEAD

UPROXX #6

Spoiler

New York Times #6

Spoiler

JON PARELES  A perfectly calibrated power ballad, with the Lady Gaga chorus trademark of repeated syllables, does movie-musical triple duty as love song, vocal showcase and plot pivot.

JON CARAMANICA  From “A Star Is Born,” the place where misery meets triumph.

Billboard #7

Spoiler

Consequence of Sound #10

Spoiler

Sounds Like: An Oscar-winning classic we’ll hear in every Oscar montage forever

Key Lyric: “I’m off the deep end, watch as I dive in/ I’ll never meet the ground” but only after the “Ohhhh ahhh ooohh” part

Why It Matters: Rock ‘n’ roll movies suck, remakes are even worse, and yet somehow, A Star Is Borncomes away unscathed. Much of it has to do with the chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, namely how we’re meant to believe in a world where the Fame Monster would ever fall in love with the “Better Man.” But, we do, and that conviction is all over the film’s strongest and most emotional anthem. –Michael Roffman

Song in a GIF:

tumblr_muumnyubbl1si749co2_500.gif?w=806

Vitleysingur

UPDATED: Shallow is the fifth most acclaimed songs of 2018 so far.

:giveup::giveup::giveup:

Archived