I don't think it was scrapped... i don't think it ever existed

shameless link to my thread which explains:

but basically I think the audio was specifically enhanced for the trailer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mister Gaga
21 minutes ago, Bebe said:

The version of Shallow you want, I think, takes the listener out of the world of ASIB into a world we don't see onscreen and it removes focus from the film itself and the decisions that have been made for the film.

Bebe, i agree with everything you're writing. That's not my point. I'm not stating that this version is wrong, my opinion has to do with how i feel; and i feel that this 3:36 version of Shallow is not the full song. It has been 'limited', or arranged in the studio to fit the movie scene (a concept that i like!); the thing is, i feel as if a great percentage had been scrapped, or edited in a way that doesn't allow the song to truly shine. I just think that it would be a waste not listening to the full song. 

Something similar might be happening with 'I'll never love again'. At the tracklist you have a film version and an extended version (hence, we will listen to something that doesn't appear on the film). See my point? That extended version of 'Shallow' is what i'd love to hear, because, as i said before, it sounds 'unfinished' to me. And given that there's no extended version of Shallow on the tracklist, i suppose i'll never listen to the song on it's full glory, which is a shame.

26 minutes ago, Mister Gaga said:

Bebe, i agree with everything you're writing. That's not my point. I'm not stating that this version is wrong, my opinion has to do with how i feel; and i feel that this 3:36 version of Shallow is not the full song. It has been 'limited', or arranged in the studio to fit the movie scene (a concept that i like!); the thing is, i feel as if a great percentage had been scrapped, or edited in a way that doesn't allow the song to truly shine. I just think that it would be a waste not listening to the full song. 

Something similar might be happening with 'I'll never love again'. At the tracklist you have a film version and an extended version (hence, we will listen to something that doesn't appear on the film). See my point? That extended version of 'Shallow' is what i'd love to hear, because, as i said before, it sounds 'unfinished' to me. And given that there's no extended version of Shallow on the tracklist, i'm feel that i'll never listen to the song on it's full glory, which is a shame.

I don't think you are stating that this version is 'wrong', I'm fully able to comprehend what you are saying. I don't think Shallow has been limited or arranged to fit the movie scene - I think the song has been crafted specifically for that scene. I don't think any of it has been edited or scrapped. It was crafted for the film, it was crafted to help the narrative of the film, the choices made in crafting the final version of the song do reflect and help move forward the narrative of the film and that should be showcased in the soundtrack - a version of the song specifically crafted for purposes other than aiding the film in telling it's story should NOT appear on a films soundtrack... It defeats the purpose...

I'll Never Love Again, as far as I'm aware, doesn't actually appear in the movie in the same way, it's for the credits - so the situation is different. The reason there is a film version and extended version is because it's not actually a song that's featured in the movie as a plot or narrative device. It's a song written to bring a close to the movie... Obviously deals with the themes of the movie and the narrative and was written for the film, hence why it plays in the credits and appears on the soundtrack, but it's not a character of the film in the same way as the other songs crafted for the film.

Both songs close off the soundtrack, so the narrative has already been told, the extended version of the final song on the soundtrack hopefully just wraps up the soundtrack and provides an added treat. It's not something I think should be repeated for every song - especially a song so important to the first act of the film. 

The soundtrack shouldn't be full of versions of the song that are different from the film :shrug: At least not for the entire soundtrack. You are obviously allowed to feel disappointed with the song, you don't have to like it, but the song was crafted specifically for that scene - that's the genius of it - and a version that deviates from the film on the soundtrack would undermine the actual film version and the narrative it tells. It just seems unfair to criticise the lack of a "studio version" on the soundtrack, when we are listening to the complete song as it was intended - for the film - and the soundtrack for the film should reflect that.

1. "Like everyone else". I wasn't, so delete that.

2. Athe studio version scrapped? Do yall even know if it exists? Oh god.

1 hour ago, Mister Gaga said:

With the difference that City of Stars sounds flawless, while Shallow (which is great and has enormous potential) is being harmed by a horrible mixing and imo, a bad structure, which i guess has to do with editing (let me explain: It sounds like TEOG/You and I without the Sax/Electric guitar solo and everything that comes after it. It ends right when it explodes, something in the middle is missing. The hook is there but it's kinda wasted)

58 minutes ago, Mister Gaga said:

Sorry, i may not know how to express it correctly, i don't know technical terms, but i feel that the structure of the song harms the potential of it. I feel as if some copy/paste process while editing the song went wrong, and it makes the song sound 'unfinished' for me; it doesn't explode as it should because something is missing. Another verse, another chorus. Think about TEOG without the Sax solo. Yeah, it would be good, but something would sound 'off'. It could be better imo. 

37 minutes ago, Mister Gaga said:

oh, if i knew how to do it, i'd have done it already. That doesn't mean i'm not allowed to express how i feel about the song; and not just saying 'i don't like it', but explaining why i don't like it (disappointed, in this case) and what arrangements would i do. That's what you call a sustained opinion.

I am so done with these armchair musicians/producers/composers/managers! They could just say that they don't like the song - but no. They'd go on talking about things they apparently know nothing about. Oh god.

Chickens in Malibu
Just now, jinko said:

I am so done with these armchair musicians/producers/composers/managers! They could just say that they don't like the song - but no. They'd go on talking about things they apparently know nothing about. Oh god.

Listen closely to both choruses, you'll notice the use of distortion (gaga using distortion when singing) in the studio version, but no distortion in the live version.

Like seriously... It's so obvious that it was a studio version. Gaga just wanted to go with the live version to fit the narrative that the music for the movie was recorded live.

5 minutes ago, nicolasrumet said:

Listen closely to both choruses, you'll notice the use of distortion (gaga using distortion when singing) in the studio version, but no distortion in the live version.

Like seriously... It's so obvious that it was a studio version. Gaga just wanted to go with the live version to fit the narrative that the music for the movie was recorded live.

1. Where the HELL is the studio version? DOES IT EXIST?

2. Could you clear your point up, please - When you're talking about a "studio version" is that what's on the first trailer? And when you're talking about the "live version" it's the one one she just released? 

3. Are you trying to imply that Gaga just recorded the song at a studio and she's just making all these "oh it's recorded live" thing up? Because there are literally extras in that scene that recounted their experiences?

This is exhausting oh god.

MonsterOfSpain
1 minute ago, jinko said:

2. Could you clear your point up, please - When you're talking about a "studio version" is that what's on the first trailer? And when you're talking about the "live version" it's the one one she just released? 

3. Are you trying to imply that Gaga just recorded the song at a studio and she's just making all these "oh it's recorded live" thing up? Because there are literally extras in that scene that recounted their experiences?

Stop getting so passive-aggresive lmao. It's completely obvious there is a studio version, her vocals in the trailer version are totally different to the one we got. And he's not implying by any means that she recorded it in a studio and lied about it lol, just that they decided to go for the live one and decided to waste (at least for the moment) the studio one. 

17 minutes ago, jinko said:

A "would you critique an English paper if you didn't speak English" tea 

1 minute ago, MonsterOfSpain said:

Stop getting so passive-aggresive lmao. It's completely obvious there is a studio version, her vocals in the trailer version are totally different to the one we got. And he's not implying by any means that she recorded it in a studio and lied about it lol, just that they decided to go for the live one and decided to waste (at least for the moment) the studio one. 

A "would you critique an English paper if you didn't speak English" tea 

I literally just couldn't understand what he's saying! Like, I was lost. I'm sorry. :huntyga:

Chickens in Malibu
4 minutes ago, jinko said:

Do you understand what "distortion" means? I'll post a video below to explain. Anyone with a bit of singing knowledge can notice a clear difference between the two versions.

And no I'm not implying that Gaga is "making up" anything. They recorded studio versions and perhaps initially intended to release them in the soundtracks but changed their minds and decided to go with the live versions to target the Oscars.

4 minutes ago, nicolasrumet said:

Do you understand what "distortion" means? I'll post a video below to explain. Anyone with a bit of singing knowledge can notice a clear difference between the two versions.

And no I'm not implying that Gaga is "making up" anything. They recorded studio versions and perhaps initially intended to release them in the soundtracks but changed their minds and decided to go with the live versions to target the Oscars.

I totally understand what you're saying now, thank you for clearing things up. I was confused! 

I really like the song, especially because it has a particular structure made on purpose to fit the scene it is referred to. But what confuses me is, why releasing it for promotion when the movie is not out yet? What I mean is, a person who doesn’t know the scene this song is related to, would be able to fully appreciate its structure and the “evolution” of Ally’s voice? And why did they use another version for the trailers? I think that this confuses so much a casual viewer. But this is just my opinion, don’t come for me, indeed help me if I made some wrong logical connections. :sweat:

Actually it is growing on me and I can see why they did it.  But I would have liked an alternative album with no dialogue or crowd.  Im expecting most of the songs to have crowd noise now but just pray for no speaking over the songs.

3 hours ago, Gagaloo92 said:

Well the studio version you speak of better LEAK someday soon. I want it. 

Not that I don't enjoy the version that was released, but would love to hear that version too. Especially the climatic ending how it is in the trailer. 

thats the movie version......

That's Gossip

culturalbaptism
6 hours ago, komronjoel said:

Perhaps you should produce a song for us then!!!! Please! Show us how you can do better! 

Would you critic an english paper if you did not speak english? :ohwell:

We're entitled to our opinions. The song had the potential. It was wasted in this dull live version so they can get an award.

Judas is coming. Let the cultural baptism begin.

Mister Gaga
6 hours ago, jinko said:

well, i like the song, i just think it could be better. So don't put words in my mouth i didn't say. I said before i wasn't aware of some technical terms, and i tried to express my opinion the best way i could. Sorry if it came across as arrogant.

Archived