Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Did MTN as a single choice end Gaga's huge GP success?

edengowon

Featured Posts

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reject False Icons

Do you realize how blasphemous you are by suggesting that Holy sacred "Marry The Night" :firega: shouldn't have been a Single.

tomsches

It flopped so that implies that the gp doesn't even know the song exists so it doesn't make any difference

Andrea B
1 hour ago, Ladygagalover said:

Judas was her third and final strike. She hasn’t had a #1 on pop radio since then.

Alejandro and Born This Way were polarizing, but I think that she could’ve recovered afterwards with The Edge of Glory as the planned second single. If TEOG would’ve had a radio deal, it would’ve debuted at #1.

it only needed 3k sales to reach #1, I will never get over this. 

Andrea B

it was Judas but it doesn't matter cause the GP loves Gaga again, her streaming is getting better and she's an acclaimed singer and actress now 

wahkeenasitka
1 hour ago, smokeandhush said:

Seriously, who cares? Why are we still talking about **** like this??

SHE'S IN AN OSCAR BUZZ WORTHY MOVIE AS THE LEAD ACTRESS!

Precisely. This conversation is about meaningless crap from 7 years ago. 

1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Judas was the single that damaged her GP appeal, not MTN.

Absolutely agree, unfortunately. It was too risky of a single choice for the GP, but at least the fans got an epic music video!

Mulholland

As several people have already pointed out here, "Judas" was the single that kind of derailed her relationship with radio. She recovered somewhat after that, but "Judas" killed her unbroken streak of momentum. So every song had to work a little bit harder + people were over the BTW cycle, which had been going on for almost a year by the time MTN was released. 

There's no point in relitigating choices made 7+ years ago, but had Marry the Night or Edge of Glory been released as the second single, they would have been massive. (TEOG was big, but it probably would have hit #1.) Chucking in You and I after EOG was also... a choice. It did OK, but certainly not as well as most of her other singles, and it helped further the narrative that her chart power was declining.

And besides, fifth singles often don't do that well in general. Everyone had already bought the album or the songs they wanted, radio had been playing Gaga nonstop for three straight years with no break, and it was just kind of inevitable. 

Saint Laurent
4 minutes ago, Mulholland said:

As several people have already pointed out here, "Judas" was the single that kind of derailed her relationship with radio. She recovered somewhat after that, but "Judas" killed her unbroken streak of momentum. So every song had to work a little bit harder + people were over the BTW cycle, which had been going on for almost a year by the time MTN was released. 

There's no point in relitigating choices made 7+ years ago, but had Marry the Night or Edge of Glory been released as the second single, they would have been massive. (TEOG was big, but it probably would have hit #1.) Chucking in You and I after EOG was also... a choice. It did OK, but certainly not as well as most of her other singles, and it helped further the narrative that her chart power was declining.

And besides, fifth singles often don't do that well in general. Everyone had already bought the album or the songs they wanted, radio had been playing Gaga nonstop for three straight years with no break, and it was just kind of inevitable. 

giphy.gif

djBuffoon

Not in and of itself, "Marry the Night" is a great track and a bop. The GP was just fatigued with Gaga at that point. They have no discernible taste in general, what more needs to be said?

Mulholland
12 minutes ago, Saint Laurent said:

giphy.gif

I mean, I think anything relating to the BTW era is interesting to talk about, but I also think, seven years later, the post-mortem is kinda pointless beyond a certain point in that it doesn't change anything.

Saint Laurent
1 minute ago, Mulholland said:

I mean, I think anything relating to the BTW era is interesting to talk about, but I also think, seven years later, the post-mortem is kinda pointless beyond a certain point in that it doesn't change anything.

I was just being ironic because you used the word litigation incorrectly :chica:

Mulholland
Just now, Saint Laurent said:

I was just being ironic because you used the word litigation incorrectly :chica:

Except I didn't. :oops:

Archived