Good German Songs?

A Hybrid

Featured Posts

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Hybrid
6 minutes ago, Vegas said:

interested in this thread since I want to dive in and learn some German :vegas:

You should probably start with a course or Duolingo, I’m already B2 in German, songs just help me be more fluent

No family’s safe when I sashay

BornAsUnic0rn
2 minutes ago, Karolina said:

Yeah, not to mention more alternative artists, that are pioneers in many genres of music, like Kraftwerk, DAF, KMFDM, Die Krupps, Einstürzende Neubauten. 

Exactly and it’s quite hard to gain Momentum and Chartspressence as a newcomer in German Rap and Schlager. Sure the big artists in this Genre are enormously successful, but there is a huge huge gap in these said genres between the big artists and the consensus in these genres, which it’s practically impossible for a newcomer (in that genre) to gain success in the mainstream market. 

Where successful people in other genres like the one you mentioned hardly become such a success that they basically carry a “dead” genre. Most people buy Helene Fischer because it is Helene Fischer music, not because they love Schlager music. (I still struggle with her being seen as a Schlager Queen, since she actually brought mainstream in Schlager and made Schlager more pop influenced, in such an enormous way that basically made her “Queen of German Pop” and change both those Genres impeccably. Comparable with Gaga changing the English and general music landscape. 

Sorry for being so outspoken about this but I’m over people discrediting both the German music landscape and Helene Fischer and any successful contemporary artist. Just to present themselves to be “above” German music or one of their genre. We in Germany kinda love to hate on successes of others. 

Glittertinks

Currently enjoying the music of Kraftklub!

And a lot have already mentioned Rammstein, so I don't think I have to mention them again. My personal favorites here would be "Du Hast" and "Sonne"!

Edit: Oh and Adel Tawil makes great music too!

BornAsUnic0rn
31 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

That’s obviously true, every nation has its wide and unique popular music culture. Any recommendations from you?

Despite the person I replied to making jokes about her, Helene Fischer has quite well written songs. (If you translate them, they  probably make more sense and are probably lyrically better than mainstream Pop songs. (“Breathless through the night”(Atemlos durch die Nacht) vs “(Schlag mich) Säugling noch einmal”[Hit me baby one more time] or “Halt die Klappe und fahr'” [Shut up & Drive]. And her most recent album is quite comparable to the music of the major pop girls (just 1-2years too late).

Most of the German music I listen to has already been mentioned (Oomph!, Kraftkwerk, Rammstein, Nina Hagen, Marteria (he actually has a song with boysnoize), Clueso,...) so I absolutely recommend those.

Lyrically I can also recommend people like Rosenstolz, 2raumwohnung and Ich&Ich for example. But they are probably not your cup of tea. Their music is quite good tho, so maybe you could give them a shot.

(I listen to many German House and EDM artists, but these are not really lyrically driven.)

If your German is quite advanced, Alligatah (rap with a big spectrum of themes, driven by irony, aarcasm, satire & social commentary, the key essence of his music is the incredible use of wordplay and metaphors and the meaningfulness behind these songs, so you could learn German AND educate yourself by listening to the meaning, questioning it and looking it up.) The wordplay he uses can be quite useful, since you kind of learn the different meanings of the same words/expressions. He has a cover of “Alejandro” called “Alligatoah by the way.

hope this helped. :hug:

1 hour ago, Henri Bardot said:

Je ne parle pas français - Namika

Oh no

A friend of mine went to Germany last week and they played this in a club, he was so confused :toofunny:

Then he played it to me and now it's stuck in my head

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Widows Kiss
3 minutes ago, BornAsUnic0rn said:

Despite the person I replied to making jokes about her, Helene Fischer has quite well written songs.

I didn't try to make fun of her. Actually, I recommended him to listen to her music. :kara:

Archived