Junkee: Is ARTPOP As Bad As Everyone Says

TheAlpha

Featured Posts

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ziggy
1 hour ago, WokePop said:

the article itself is pretty positive. I like that. this is the kind of dedicated writing that was missed when reviews for the album came in. yet he still focus a little more on the gimmicks and the concepts than the music. and that’s like a consequence of everything else. it’s ART-POP not POP-ART. I disagree that even tho it didn’t meet the EDM trend it still has great showcases of such in itself. all Zedd tracks are among the top tracks and he didn’t say anything about Venus or MJH. it seems he missed the album’s strong female empowerment, self-love and liberation narrative. this album will stay underrated for so long even “professionals” don’t have all the necessary requirements and refinenements to truly appreciate it.

it’s an ok article. but I do agree it could have used less tracks like Fashion, Manicure or J&D. (even tho I love all of those) they would have been much better on a deluxe version which never came out.

I think the context of the album is important if you’re going to look back on it, though. He’s asking if it’s as bad as everyone thought it was then and a big part of that was because of the image, gimmicks, etc. I think for a succinct article he did a pretty good job dissecting how it stands now a few years out. He wasn’t about to do a dissertation :laughga:

grenziel

ARTPOP is an era where we draw the line of our stan life and we're now all living in post-ARTPOP apocalypse extravaganza. :oops:

Some of them want to abuse you, some of them want be abused.

Carpet Shark
9 hours ago, Anisko said:

ARTPOP could be better without over produced songs like j&d swine donatella fashion Mary Jane Holland... 

Yeah, nah.

cjdamien

I still say the majority of the whole era was a performance art piece / she took  the circumstances of her life and channeled them into the narrative of fame in the modern world and gave us what I consider to be a great album. My only complaints are that I prefer the iTunes festival style of ARTPOP and Swine and the leaked version of Aura better than the album versions. I don’t always want my music to follow some formula or to check off some list, ARTPOP was different in the way Gaga has always been different and in the way people who truly feel different identify with and it wasn’t about money or charts. It was about making music for the sake of making music and ironically, the circumstances surrounding her then show just how important it is for her to have at least made the attempt to do what she wanted with ARTPOP at the time. 

Also, The Cure is better than Bad Romance and Born This Way, and Applause and Perfect Illusion??????? The Cure is marginally better than The Greatest and only because it was officially released and has production quality. 

River

a disappointing post-Joanne return which trades in pop-by numbers platitudes that seemed geared towards algorithmic tastes than star power.

wtf does it even mean???? :messga:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Ouch.

ARTPOP had its flaws,
and granted I was deaf to those flaws at first,
and sure I am very biased in Gaga's favor,
and yes there were songs that I strongly disliked on that album, 
and even though it's been five years...
it still hurt to read criticism that harsh and sobering. 

crisTEAne
27 minutes ago, River said:

a disappointing post-Joanne return which trades in pop-by numbers platitudes that seemed geared towards algorithmic tastes than star power.

wtf does it even mean???? :messga:

pop-by numbers('?) platitudes = cliched messages of short-lived hits (e.g., fix someone with love)

geared towards algorithmic tastes than star power = manufactured to sound radio-friendly rather than gaga

my best guess. :laughga:

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

River
1 minute ago, T E Anne said:

pop-by numbers('s?) platitudes = cliched messages of short-lived hits (e.g., fix someone with love)

geared towards algorithmic tastes than star power = manufactured to sound radio-friendly rather than gaga

my best guess. :laughga:

LOL thanks it makes sense I think :laughga:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

hoeslay

Still my favorite album. Messy and not super cohesive AS A WHOLE but each song individually is STUNNNING and the era and concept as a whole really helped me come into my own with my art.

Archived