💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Straight actor to play first gay character in Disney film, faces backlash

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

blackpink

And before any of you come for me, i don’t have a problem with actors playing LGBT roles and vice versa but in this case, why NOT hire an LGBT actor when there are thousands that are willing to be given a shot? And even famous actors that are in the LGBT community but don’t get given big roles, yet a straight person like Jack Whitehall gets to profit from playing an LGBT role while actual LGBT actors don’t get that. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tired topic again... 😬 Just to shorten my opinion, I agree with what was posted earlier; this would then mean gays can't play straights. That's it. You can't have it both ways. For f sake, they are actors acting. 

CautiousLurker

I don't have an issue with the fact that he's straight, I DO have an issue with Disney doing a piss poor job at representing LGBT community :madge:

So far, past your implied gay male villain the best we've got from Disney was LeFou from live-action Beaty and the Beast and that was a disaster to put it mildly, like seriously wtf :what:

The "hugely effete, very camp and very funny" part makes me doubt they've learned much since... I guess we'll see, but just in case, I recommend everyone stretch their eye muscles - after all it is a huge company and the product will be widely accessible so prepare to eye-roll like you've never eye-rolled before... 

Dukttape
6 hours ago, Graffiti Heart said:

Really? :triggered: he’s an actor after all, if he can do the character it’s fine. 

There's people with way worse problems and to complain about this...

That's not a valid reason against anything. There are always bigger problems. If you truly believe this, the next time you complain about anything in your life remember this and then do as you're expecting other people to do. Otherwise you're a huge hypocrite.

Dukttape
15 minutes ago, GagaMyBlood95 said:

But.... it's his job?

I don't get people sometimes :smh: 

And it's their job to cast effectively. I'm sick of this ignorant argument.

Monster7

I would hire the best actor, the one that can nail the performance regardless os his sexuality

GagaMyBlood95
4 minutes ago, Dukttape said:

And it's their job to cast effectively. I'm sick of this ignorant argument.

It is, but that's not HIS fault. Because the actor/actress is usually the one getting backlash for only doing their job. Why wouldn't they accept the role?

I honestly don't care as long as the they do a good job.

Brokeback Mountain wasn't played by gay actors; Armie Hammer who played Oliver in Call Me by You Name is married to a woman in real life; Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara played lesbians in Carol, but they're straight in real life.

Dukttape
12 minutes ago, GagaMyBlood95 said:

It is, but that's not HIS fault. Because the actor/actress is usually the one getting backlash for only doing their job. Why wouldn't they accept the role?

Literally because of the backlash. It's like accepting a job that you know isn't right for you. In this case, you're going to get bitten from it eventually be it social reaction upon casting and/or critical and audience reaction upon reception. The outcry for more queer actors in queer roles has been going on for years now. It's extremely shortsighted and once again ignorant for an actor, much less a studio, to engage in this and not expect any backlash. 

GagaMyBlood95
11 minutes ago, Dukttape said:

Literally because of the backlash. It's like accepting a job that you know isn't right for you. In this case, you're going to get bitten from it eventually be it social reaction upon casting and/or critical and audience reaction upon reception. The outcry for more queer actors in queer roles has been going on for years now. It's extremely shortsighted and once again ignorant for an actor, much less a studio, to engage in this and not expect any backlash. 

But don't you expect backlash in that scenario as well?

"Disney hires gay actor to play gay role"

Either way, you can't win...

Versace

I'VE HAD IT WITH STRAIGHT PEOPLE PLAYING LGBT ROLES

especially when there are actual LGBT actors begging for the chance

don't tell me I should be thankful cause this is representation at least

do you know how disheartening it was to find out ALL of the "good" gay characters on film and tv aren't actually gay and are just "acting". I don't wanna relate to acting thank you. I'd rather the actor have lived the role instead of pretentiously thinking they can relate to the struggles of being gay, coming out and finding love. 

My issue isn't straight people playing Gay roles as much as it is MOSTLY straight people play gay roles, especially the big and important ones.

Everyone, PLEASE. There is a simple solution here.

Jack Whitehall just has to have sex with a man. Jack, I can volunteer if you have trouble finding someone. 

Problem solved. 

the fact that the role is super campy and flamboyant, and that it's the first gay character in a disney movie, definitely not here for this straight man

nikola

Sjw will destroy us.... some people should have their internet conection cut.... if we go by their logic gay actors will be able.to play only gay characters and let me tell you something... there will be gay roles but maybe couple in 1 year.... gay actors will basicly be jobless if they can have only gay roles

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

Archived