Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
news

THR on ASIB: "It could have greater commercial than critical potential."

Max Vandeburg

Featured Posts

Bradley

I don't think Barbra is trying to say the film will fail critically, it's just a dumb comment made by the Hollywood Reporter.

She just said they have similar themes, but the personnel working behind both films are completely different, technology has advanced, I think the 2018 version will look significantly different from the 1976 version.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ryanripley
2 minutes ago, Der Meister said:

That's what she meant. The plot is pretty much the same from what I can see in the trailer.

isn't the plot the same for all of them? :poot: 

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Reality

From what I've seen and read about what other people think about the film, I just don't see how it'll have a greater commercial presence than a critical one. This isn't a big blockbuster movie; it may get attention because Gaga's in it, but this is definitely an Awards contender.

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

Der Meister
3 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

isn't the plot the same for all of them? :poot: 

I mean, yes and no... But theirs have a lot more similarities than the others. Just go watch it!

djBuffoon

The article is implying that, because Babs said it was like hers, that the film will do better with box office than with the critics.

But I don't think Streisand meant that, the article is both twisting her words and shading her version of the film.

Max Vandeburg
4 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Oh I didn't know they handed out awards at film festivals. Thanks for clarifying.

Basically: each festival promotes a competition between the films shown at the event. They're reviewed by critics and compete with each other, much like a awards show.

A Star Is Born will not take part in this competition, but will only debut at the festival (Venice). Some journalists are seeing this as a sign that Warner isn't 100% sure about the movie's critical acclaim. (But I don't think that's the case).

Bradley
4 minutes ago, Max Vandeburg said:

Basically: each festival promotes a competition between the films shown at the event. They're reviewed by critics and compete with each other, much like a awards show.

A Star Is Born will not take part in this competition, but will only debut at the festival (Venice). Some journalists are seeing this as a sign that Warner isn't 100% sure about the movie's critical acclaim. (But I don't think that's the case).

So do movies out-of-competition get reviewed by critics? I'm actually pretty excited to read the upcoming reviews.

TropicOfCANCER

Y’all are over complicating this.  THR is just speculating. As some have mentioned in other threads (or maybe it was atrl) there have been many Oscar winning movies/critically acclaimed movies that have premiered at film festivals out of competition. 

Max Vandeburg
7 minutes ago, Bradley said:

So do movies out-of-competition get reviewed by critics?

I don't really know if the critics are allowed to post their reviews before the official release of the movie. But I think so. We'll have at least the first critical impressions after the premiere at Venice. 

TropicOfCANCER
21 minutes ago, djBuffoon said:

The article is implying that, because Babs said it was like hers, that the film will do better with box office than with the critics.

But I don't think Streisand meant that, the article is both twisting her words and shading her version of the film.

Y’all can really read into a simple “it’s a lot like mine” 

:lolga:

TropicOfCANCER
6 minutes ago, Max Vandeburg said:

I don't really know if the critics are allowed to post their reviews before the official release of the movie. But I think so. We'll have at least the first critical impressions after the premiere at Venice. 

Depends. Some studios put embargoes on reviews so they can’t be published util the movie comes out (usually it’s when the studio knows the film sucks and want to avoid bad reviews circulating prior to release)

if we don’t start getting reviews after the festivals, there’s a chance ASIB is going to be panned. However we’ve heard from various sources that the studio loves the film, so I think we’ll be seeing some reviews in late August. 

Call me by your name had reviews on rotten tomatoes 7 months prior to its release because it premiered at film festivals and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. 

Monsterish

The shade to Barbra :rip: I loved her remake and I think Bradley has put the best of Barbra's remake in his version of the movie :flutter:

Archived