Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Lana Del Rey is a better writer than Gaga

Blond

Featured Posts

Lord Temptation

Honestly Gaga’s songwriting has evolved so much. Like each album is a chapter in a story about her and her fans.

The Fame was an ironic, campy, tongu-in-cheek and humorous critique of our hunger for attraction.

The Fame Monster was dark, a bit twisted, almost gothic neo-noir horror about the pitfalls of fame and addiction.

But then with Born This Way the lyrics are quite anthemic, politicallly subversive, bold statements about freedom and identity.

However with ARTPOP Gaga then goes off the deep end and explores wild passion, spacey, oriental and classical mythological themes of love, devotion and beauty. The lyrics are a playful ode to our worshipping of beauty.

And now with Joanne you get an artist revealing herself naked: singing about her family, about forgiveness and about home.

In this respect I feel that Gaga’s songwriting is unmatched. There is literally no artist who writes about the same themes, or in the same style. Her entire career takes you on a journey.

Lana is also a skilled writer, but she lacks the ambition, creativity or scope that Gaga has. She sticks to the same adolescent boyfriend-girlfriend relationship talk that Lorde and Halsey covers. Not unique, not profound but absolutely brooding.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
doppelganger
27 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Honestly Gaga’s songwriting has evolved so much. Like each album is a chapter in a story about her and her fans.

The Fame was an ironic, campy, tongu-in-cheek and humorous critique of our hunger for attraction.

The Fame Monster was dark, a bit twisted, almost gothic neo-noir horror about the pitfalls of fame and addiction.

But then with Born This Way the lyrics are quite anthemic, politicallly subversive, bold statements about freedom and identity.

However with ARTPOP Gaga then goes off the deep end and explores wild passion, spacey, oriental and classical mythological themes of love, devotion and beauty. The lyrics are a playful ode to our worshipping of beauty.

And now with Joanne you get an artist revealing herself naked: singing about her family, about forgiveness and about home.

In this respect I feel that Gaga’s songwriting is unmatched. There is literally no artist who writes about the same themes, or in the same style. Her entire career takes you on a journey.

Lana is also a skilled writer, but she lacks the ambition, creativity or scope that Gaga has. She sticks to the same adolescent boyfriend-girlfriend relationship talk that Lorde and Halsey covers. Not unique, not profound but absolutely brooding.

Here’s my take. Lorde (not super familiar with Lana) writes about her experiences with vivid & poetic lyrical expressions. I would put Fiona Apple in the same category but Fiona’s mental anguish made her lyrics (for me at least) more disturbing and powerful. 

Gaga (who is more like Bjork) focuses on concepts and melodies, and is flexible enough to write about anything. Both are not great lyricists but make their albums a conceptual experience with a specific message. It’s absolutely bizarre that the same person who wrote Teeth also wrote TEOG.

What I loved about Joanne is that she let that go and focused on her feelings. The album is cohesive only to a certain extent but it is what she’s feeling at that moment. But I wouldn’t want another Joanne from Gaga. 

Sebastiaan De Graaf
18 hours ago, BloodyM said:

I think Gaga is capable of being the better writer or lets say an equally good writer but I feel like her music doesn't allow that. And that's why I was disappointed with Joanne as an album. I think she could have done better lyrically. 

Disagree. Perfect Illusion never had to be a song, one of the worst on the album. From the worst songs, Perfect Illusion feels unneseccary and the same lyrically.

Lord Temptation
1 hour ago, doppelganger said:

Here’s my take. Lorde (not super familiar with Lana) writes about her experiences with vivid & poetic lyrical expressions. I would put Fiona Apple in the same category but Fiona’s mental anguish made her lyrics (for me at least) more disturbing and powerful. 

Gaga (who is more like Bjork) focuses on concepts and melodies, and is flexible enough to write about anything. Both are not great lyricists but make their albums a conceptual experience with a specific message. It’s absolutely bizarre that the same person who wrote Teeth also wrote TEOG.

What I loved about Joanne is that she let that go and focused on her feelings. The album is cohesive only to a certain extent but it is what she’s feeling at that moment. But I wouldn’t want another Joanne from Gaga. 

Lorde does remind me of a young Fiona Apple. But you’re right in that Fiona Apple is more dangerous. She picks her wounds and licks the blood dry...

aaronyoji

lyric wise, lana del rey is not a genius, but she does write better flowing music melodically. obviously her and gaga are so different and write music for different affect, but if we break it down musically, lanas music and composition is technically better. 

britneyspears
3 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

Not really? All of her albums, like Gaga's, deal with relationships, but also other thematic ideas as well.

Born to Die was about fame, money, wealth, and the elite.

Paradise was similar, dealing with aspects of religion as well.

Ultraviolence included things about Lana's own reputation, critics, and domestic abuse.

Honeymoon further discussed fame and critics.

The second half of Lust for Life focuses heavily upon the state of our world today, with a particularly US-centric perspective. The earlier tracks on the record also look at these ideas and fame again.

Lana often uses relationships in her work as a metaphor for other things; Ultraviolence's title track, for example, was supposedly written about her addiction to alcohol. High By the Beach isn't about a real man, but instead celebrity culture and the paparazzi.

Hands down yes. Lana's writing on both lyrical and musical aspect is superior at least on technical/musical terms. However they are pretty different writers and so it's abit weird to compare them. Gaga is good in what her type of writing is all about.  

@Craig Barnes Let's have a bit of fake news counter measure. Gaga is certainly NOT inducted to the Song writers HoF as a member. You should chech her inclusion again ;) It utterly not the same thing. It's great though, but yeah... Don't twist facts.

xoxo Craig
10 minutes ago, Snow said:

Hands down yes. Lana's writing on both lyrical and musical aspect is superior at least on technical/musical terms. However they are pretty different writers and so it's abit weird to compare them. Gaga is good in what her type of writing is all about.  

@Craig Barnes Let's have a bit of fake news counter measure. Gaga is certainly NOT inducted to the Song writers HoF as a member. You should chech her inclusion again ;) It utterly not the same thing. It's great though, but yeah... Don't twist facts.

She won an Icon award for her songwriting. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6545636/lady-gaga-to-get-first-icon-award-at-songwriters-hall

www.songhall.org/awards/winner/lady_gaga

She was still recognised by the SHOF for her songwriting. Where is Lana? 

The OG answer is still no, Lana is not better than Gaga at songwriting. When I listen to Gaga's lyrics, I can tell that it's honest. It's coming from a place I can understand and relate to. When she sings she takes me on a journey with her. 

When I listen to Lana, her lyrics are good but they bore me. There's nothing that's captivating about Lana's voice or her lyrics.

If you're going to compare an artist to Gaga, at least make them interesting :trollga:;)

End Racism Now

Helxig

I really think the take away from this thread is that art really is subjective :shrug:

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Ziggy

As others have said, I think Gaga is better in terms of pop music. Who tf else could have sold "I wanna take a ride on your discostick" as a hook but Gaga? That's brilliant, strange and takes serious moxie. Granted, Lana doesn't really do "pop" in the same sense as Gaga so they aren't all that comparable. Still. I think Gaga's lyrics are harder to write because you have to get the psychology of making a true, honest to god, inescapable earworm which Gaga has managed to do with so many disparate topics. That's lyrical skill.

Green Eyes

I love them both, but they write totally different songs. You can't compare them, this is an inherently stupid thread. Guess what, Azealia writes better raps than Gaga too. Almost like different artists write different kinds of songs, or something crazy like that...

Bloodyjack

I love lana so much but I find her style of songwriting to be completely predictable. 

Pietro

Diamonds, jewels and my red dress on

Gargoyles, summer and heaven's door 

Done. I wrote a LDR lyric. 

Archived